Ramen Noodles -- Good or Bad?

Options
Hi All --

My weakness is Ramen Noodles, beef flavored. I've done some research on if it's good or bad, ways to make it healthier, etc. I don't eat them often, but when I do I only eat half of the noodles and half of the seasoning packet. So that makes it less bad.

I know the sodium amounts are crazy, but I try to drink more water to compensate it. I'd hate to cut em out all together. My question is, does anyone else suffer from a love for Ramen? Or am I alone in this battle. And if you are a Ram-eater, how do you make yourself feel less guilty eating it? Do you add anything, etc.?

Thanks,
Joanna

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I love them, too. I don't know what it is about that 15 cent package of soup....but they're good! I just eat the whole thing, by itself, with all of the seasoning packet. My boyfriend makes them and adds all kinds of crap, but I just like them plain.
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    One of my favorites. =)
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    this is what im having for lunch today. I love the shrimp flavor and usually eat the whole pack and the seasoning. a lot of things aren't good for us. I wouldn't say completely cut it out. just don't have it too often. I eat em 2-3 times a month if that.
  • lonnieart
    lonnieart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat ramen mostly for the sake of simplicity when I don't want to make dinner.

I make all the noodles and usually don't add the seasoning packet (or if I do, I try to use less than half). I spice it up with actual spices instead (and salt. Just.. less salt). I also add an egg right as I turn off the heat (stovetop ramen is the only way to go), which is enough to cook it a little like egg drop soup. This makes it more filling for me because I used to eat waaay more than just the one bowl. I also like to throw in some onions while the water is boiling before I add the noodles, especially if I am making it with the beef seasoning. A little extra onion powder, a few more spices, some cheese, and BAM! Onion soup with noodles.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i love ramen too - i make my own now (with somen noodles) but its still got tonnes of sodium in it as i use stock cubes and instant miso soup :/

sure the packets, like anything else, won't hurt you every now and again :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    There's no bad foods. If Ramen is your treat food, enjoy it. I like them plain... but I know people who add an egg. They think it tastes better like that (plus more protein for them). I'm sure you could add veggies too. Some peas or cut up carrots or something if you wanted.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I eat them and don't feel guilty at all. I prefer the chicken flavor, but I'll eat any of them, and then I add in hot sauce. I also eat the whole block.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Funny I was craving these yesterday! Didn't have them, but definitely will when I'm back among the living!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Good
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I also add some protein in the form of an egg, or I find I'm hungry again pretty quickly after them.

There's no way I'm not eating delicious Ramen noodles! I have them less frequently now but I wouldn't cut them out of my diet completely. :noway: :laugh:
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I will eat my Ramen with confidence! They are just too yummy to NOT eat, and @ .20/pack, you really can't beat that :)
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There's something on pintrest I found with 50 ways to use ramen. Look that up it has a bunch of different ideas!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    ETL4jtr.gif
  • lonnieart
    lonnieart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ETL4jtr.gif
    Where do people even find these things? lol. It's amazing.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I like fresh noodles, not a fan of dried packaged stuff.
    You can make them healthier by adding stir fry veggies and chicken.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love ramen noodle soup. Not very often but an easy lunch.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Poached egg, or fried egg over-medium.
    Wakame seaweed (sprinkle while cooking, no need to re-hydrate separately).
    sugar snap peas.
    Shrimp
    Minced fresh scallion (green onion).
    Pinch of chopped cilantro.
    Slice of fresh ginger (into the broth).
    Lime zest-juice
    lime chili ramen....;-)

Love them- Only eat every few months, but good-toss packet.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do love Ramen, but they aren't the healthiest option, obviously. There are lots of healthier substitutes, made with either baked noodles, or rice noodles. I think Ramen noodles are fried. The other options are way more expensive, though. I do agree that there are no "bad" foods, but I prefer to choose healthy substitutes when I can. And no, I'm not depriving myself. Enjoy your Ramen if it fits your macros!
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I also <3 ramen noodles! I do try not to buy them very often because when I have them in the house, I want to eat them for like every meal, including breakfast. I typically put an egg in and maybe some veggies too, like spinach, broccoli or cauliflower. At least that way you get SOME nutrients....
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's no bad foods. If Ramen is your treat food, enjoy it. I like them plain... but I know people who add an egg. They think it tastes better like that (plus more protein for them). I'm sure you could add veggies too. Some peas or cut up carrots or something if you wanted.

What she says!

I usually make sure I add at least a couple egg whites (easy to pour in the liquid egg whites pre-packaged) or egg whites and a whole egg (loooove egg drop soup) to it to balance the carb shock (esp since I am borederline hypogycemic) and I also use only about 3/4 of the spice pack unless I add a lot of extra water (I love broth). Sometimes I add a few veggies like peas etc to it, but often I am too lazy to even bother with the frozen veggie mixes.

Asides from that, yes, see it as your treat, log it, and enjoy! :-)