Make a salmon lover out of me!

Options
I know I should eat more lean meats, and I would love to add some fish to my diet. I have hated most fish throughout my life, but have been shifting my taste buds for awhile now. I want to love salmon, and I am prepared to try. I have purchased a fillet, and I am looking for some amazing recipes to try. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump as I'm trying salmon for the first time in years and would love to have some tasty recipes at hand. :bigsmile:
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I generally do the simple bake with lemon and pepper.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love salmon and its very good for you. However, the flavor of salmon is what it is. I'd recommend fish like mahi or tilapia that are far more mild and easier to cook. They're more like chicken
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    this is my simple and VERY yummy one

preheat oven to 400

take equal amounts of djion mustard and greek yogurt (it calls for mayo and with mayo it is better but offer greek yogurt as an alternative) mix

slice the filet and stuff with a bit of goat cheese

add mixture of mustard and mayo or greek yogurt over and bake for 20 minutes, I broil on low for an additional 3-4 minutes

it is incredible, the extra sauce if I have some I add to quinoa with tomatoes and goat cheese and then have with roasted veggies.

High protein with minimal calories for what you get.

My fave and go to.
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love salmon and usually only salt and pepper it. The biggest thing I can recommend is not to overcook it. Salmon is best med-rare. Otherwise it can be dry and taste totally different than a properly cooked piece of salmon. Maybe try a teriyaki marinade? That sounds delicious! There are plenty of recipes online.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
    skinnytaste.com
    shape magazine's recipe section
    the home & cooking network website

Or try searching MFP for salmon recipes. It'll only be the forum recipe threads and not blogs..unfortunately, no way (that I know of) to search the blogs for anything.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It goes well with a sweet chilli sauce - you could try marinading in that before baking.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I love Salmon with dill. I just throw it in a pan with a little olive oil and season it with pepper and dill.
  • laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love salmon and usually only salt and pepper it. The biggest thing I can recommend is not to overcook it. Salmon is best med-rare. Otherwise it can be dry and taste totally different than a properly cooked piece of salmon. Maybe try a teriyaki marinade? That sounds delicious! There are plenty of recipes online.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think a lot of folks who say they hate salmon have never had a properly cooked piece of salmon.
    Mu dad cooks salmon for an hour. yes, an HOUR.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    It's an acquired taste. I'd recommend starting with a entree with a moderate-to-heavy seasoning and/or sauce that you like, so the salmon taste isn't quite so overpowering. Gradually, go with entrees with less aggressive toppings, until you end up liking a simple grilled or broiled steak.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    GRILL IT!!'
    I could literally eat grilled salmon for the rest of my life. Omg you've made me hungry just thinking about it. Put some lemon on it, or cut it up and throw it in a lettuce salad, or have it whole with rice.
    Never have it cold. Grilled is infinitely superior.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Grilling it is amazing, but salmon is more fishy tasting that some others so you may learn that you don't like it no matter what. Don't try to force yourself to eat things you don't find appealing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love salmon so I season it very lightly - just a little black pepper and garlic powder usually. It's also best cooked medium or medium rare. Overcooking it will give it more of a "fishy taste".

It also makes a good burger - just pulse in a food processor with ginger, garlic, soy sauce and onion (or whatever you like) and an egg, then form in to patties. I love these with horseradish mustard and grilled onion.
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Brush with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, ground garlic, and dried rosemary. Pan sear it starting with the skin-side down. When the skin crisps up, flip it and cook to medium on the other side. Slice into the thickest part just slightly to check the color. The dark pink should be turning lighter pink and more opaque but still look very moist when it is done. It will continue cooking itself for a few moments after you remove it from the pan so don't overcook it!
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    I buy fresh salmon fillet from my grocery store that are already marinated, like maple bbq flavour NOM just loosely wrap in tin foil and pop it in the oven to steam, cook just until there is no more see through parts (stick a fork in it and twist, if it's flakey, eat)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You can bake it to get "smoked" salmon.
    Preheat oven to 450 (yes, 450). Rinse fillets, dry and place skin down on NON-sprayed aluminum foil lined baking sheet. If no skin, spray aluminum foil first. Salt the tops of the fillets until covered (I use salt substitute). Mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (or brown sugar substitute) with 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke (or more if you want a stronger flavor) and spoon over tops of fillets. Bake for 10 mins, check to see if done.
    The heat in the oven is so high to infuse the fish with the smoke flavor and caramelize the sugar on top. I like my salmon a little rare in the middle so this cooking technique works great for this recipe. Really yummy! Goes really well with baked sweet potatoes.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think a lot of folks who say they hate salmon have never had a properly cooked piece of salmon.
    Mu dad cooks salmon for an hour. yes, an HOUR.

A lot of us just don't like fishy taste.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper is your friend.
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite salmon dish..so easy to make too!

2z4g3d3.jpg

Blackened salmon: season both sides of a salmon filet with blackened seasoning (I'm blessed with a special concoction a friend from Illinois sent me). Put about 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pat of butter if you'd like into a black iron skillet. Put on a grill or stove until the oil smokes, add the salmon and cook 3-4 minutes, gently flip it and do the same on the other side. Don't overcook your salmon or it's too dry. I put mine over a nice garden salad along with glass of white wine and yum..even my kids like it.

I hope the pic works..
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb to check for doneness in most fish (including salmon) is to cut a small piece off with the side of a fork. If the fish comes off in a flaky chunk, it's done. If the texture is still kind of gummy, give it another few minutes.