When to weigh food

Options
Do you weigh your food before or after you cook it to get the appropriate amount for tracking? Or does it make a difference?

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I always weigh food before cooking as the calories on pack relate I believe to that the loss by evaporation of water would be a factor.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    I weigh meat after it is cooked. I know it is not accurate, but I am consistent with it, so my results are also consistent. If I am cutting and trying to just shoot for minimums on protein and fat in order to maximize carb intake, I will set those macros a bit under minimum on here with the understanding that I am really getting more of them than I am logging.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh before cooking and use the USDA raw nutrition information. I also measure added oil, salt, etc. and add that. Using MFP's recipe function, it's easy to create a recipe for foods that you prepare regularly, including all the raw ingredients, so that you only have to calculate them once (as long as you always make the same quantity and serve the same size portions).

The exception is for bacon: it renders a lot fat that I don't eat, so I use info on cooked bacon. (Sometimes I save the bacon fat for later cooking, in which case I measure it before use.)
  • s3girl
    s3girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weigh it before. It's easier and that's how foods are measured for their nutritional data.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Before cooking. The weight can change drastically depending on cooking methods.