Natural Sugars

Options
Basically everyday my sugar levels on MFP and WAY above what it recommends. However, this is (almost) all from fruit. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• StrictlyPro
    Options
    I don't know or care
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Basically everyday my sugar levels on MFP and WAY above what it recommends. However, this is (almost) all from fruit. Does this happen to anyone else?

If you're worried about sugar, eat less fruit
  • chill12810
    Options
    It does happen to me as well (and I am diabetic)...but the nutritionist told me that natural sugars are not as harmful as refined sugars. So I would say keep eating your fruit, but be sure to eat veggies and proteins as well!
  • StrictlyPro
    Options

If you're worried about sugar, eat less fruit

Or even better, stop worrying about sugar ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It does happen to me as well (and I am diabetic)...but the nutritionist told me that natural sugars are not as harmful as refined sugars. So I would say keep eating your fruit, but be sure to eat veggies and proteins as well!

I'd look into getting a new nutritionist...
  • colleenclue
    colleenclue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Even in 1% milk there are 12 grams of sugar. I just try to limit what I can and don't worry about what the "recommended amount" is. I think it's way to low for normal healthy eating.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options

That's funny since the one and only sugar that can pose any health risk at all (diabetes) is fructose (eaten in large quantity every day) which is the sugar found in fruit.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

As a diabetic you actually want to be avoiding fruits that are high in sugar, and you don't want to go over your sugar allowance, even if it's only from natural sugars. Sugar is sugar.

For the OP, unless you have a medical condition that requires you limit your sugar intake, you are not going to hinder your weight loss going over on sugar. Just make sure that you aren't sacrificing protein or fat to eat something sugary. Fruit is still "quick energy" not lasting; you want to try to meet your protein and fat goals every day - these things will keep you full.
  • runninyog1
    Options
    i guess my real question was nutritionally does it matter to have high sugar levels if it is natural sugar?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    i guess my real question was nutritionally does it matter to have high sugar levels if it is natural sugar?

natural...refined, whatever. Unless you have a medical condition it doesn't matter.
  • runninyog1
    Options
    also it has not affected my weightloss. i'm not concerned about that. more just overall health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'd look into getting a new nutritionist...

LOL I was thinking the same thing...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

natural...refined, whatever. Unless you have a medical condition it doesn't matter.
    And thank goodness for that. :blushing:
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's more about quantity than quality for blood sugar levels ... (diabetes, weight loss, etc.)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN01691

The best advantages of natural sugars over processed sugars have to do with the volume of food you can eat (you can eat more fruit than cake and stay within your range) and the added nutritional benefits of fruit like fiber, vitamins, etc.

Fruit IS better for your overall health! But it's true that you can get fat on fruit and thin on candy ... if being fat (or not) is your only concern. For most of us, it is not.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate. If you track your carbs, there is usually no need to also worry about sugar.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options

First off there are many kinds of sugar. Glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose, maltose, dextrose, etc. As I said the only one that can cause any problem is fructose. The only hard data from properly conducted studies is on sedentary individuals. We could presume the tolerance of active individuals is higher, but there is no data. A sedentary individual can eat up to 50 grams per day every day of fructose before showing warning markers for diabetes. High fructose corn syrup and table sugar are ~50% fructose, so you could be safe eating up to ~100 grams every day of table sugar if you weren't eating any other fructose and you didn't exercise at all.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

First off there are many kinds of sugar. Glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose, maltose, dextrose, etc. As I said the only one that can cause any problem is fructose. The only hard data from properly conducted studies is on sedentary individuals. We could presume the tolerance of active individuals is higher, but there is no data. A sedentary individual can eat up to 50 grams per day every day of fructose before showing warning markers for diabetes. High fructose corn syrup and table sugar are ~50% fructose, so you could be safe eating up to ~100 grams every day of table sugar if you weren't eating any other fructose and you didn't exercise at all.

Citation, please.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It's more about quantity than quality for blood sugar levels ... (diabetes, weight loss, etc.)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN01691

The best advantages of natural sugars over processed sugars have to do with the volume of food you can eat (you can eat more fruit than cake and stay within your range) and the added nutritional benefits of fruit like fiber, vitamins, etc.

Fruit IS better for your overall health! But it's true that you can get fat on fruit and thin on candy ... if being fat (or not) is your only concern. For most of us, it is not.

so fruit sugar is better than cake sugar...hmmmmmm