How to take in more Potassium?

Options

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    A lot of the food you are eating has unlisted potassium. For example, today the chicken strips have some potassium. Yesterday, your lunch and dinner are listed as 0 potassium, but they actually have a fair amount. In order to get your potassium tracking right, you need to use entries with the potassium listed, which are hard to find for some foods.

That being said, some of the easiest ways to increase it are beet greens, low-sodium vegetable juice, and potatoes if you can afford the calories.
  • amychantel
    amychantel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had surgery recently and as part of the pre-op blood work, it was determined that my potassium levels were low. Apparently, this can be dangerous when having surgery, so I was prescribed a potassium supplement (prescription). However, I was also told that too much potassium can be toxic, which might be the reason that you can't get a really high dosage OTC.
  • DMJS
    DMJS Posts: 46
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am a pharmacy tech and I know that 1000mg of potassium suppliment is prescription strength BUT, DON"T do more than that.
    To get potassium out of your diet us Paprika. Put it on everything it taste good and is very healthy for you. I use in in all my tomato based meals, vegetables, and Chicken. Pretty much anything.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I had surgery recently and as part of the pre-op blood work, it was determined that my potassium levels were low. Apparently, this can be dangerous when having surgery, so I was prescribed a potassium supplement (prescription). However, I was also told that too much potassium can be toxic, which might be the reason that you can't get a really high dosage OTC.

Indeed. The drug used in lethal injections is potassium chloride - the exact same thing that sodium-free salts (like No Salt) are made of. In large doses potassium interferes with nerve conduction and kills by stopping the heart from beating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My biggest source of potassium is cooked tomato products. I drink V8 a lot, and use tomatoes or tomato sauce in cooking a lot too.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I need extra potassium because I am on blood pressure medication. The best sources I've found are sweet potatoes, orange juice and raspberries. I know, I know - you shouldn't drink your calories. If one more nutrition "expert" tells me that, I'm going to punch her or him. I drink Trop 50 Calcium and vitamin D. 50 calories for an 8 ounce glass and 450 mg of potassium.

Nearly all fruits and most vegetables are good sources, so you don't have to eat sweet potatoes and raspberries every day.

For lunch, I make a salad with romaine lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and mushrooms, and it gives me 986 mg of potassium.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Coffee!!
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tomato soup has a lot per cup, and you can slurp it down pretty quick. I had a potassium deficiency once that wouldn't quit. Finally I figured out I wasn't getting enough magnesium so I couldn't hold onto it (and magnesium is tough to measure with a simple blood test.) Once I took magnesium, everything resolved itself pretty quick. So I think potassium is pretty easy to get in your diet, you just have to mind your other electrolytes.
  • Erikaelias85
    Erikaelias85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :noway: Good thing they don't make high dosage vitamins then

Indeed. The drug used in lethal injections is potassium chloride - the exact same thing that sodium-free salts (like No Salt) are made of. In large doses potassium interferes with nerve conduction and kills by stopping the heart from beating.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Coconut Water, Cantaloupe, Papaya, Avocados ...
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yep...I knew about the dangers of supplementing, that's why I only wanted to get it from whole foods. Good to know that it's not listed on foods because MFP had me worried there for a while :laugh: :blushing:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I eat an insane amount of tomatoes because they grow so fast in my garden, but I don't always log them. Glad to know I am taking in more potassium than I thought.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I stole this off the web but thought it had some interesting info:

Although the symbol for potassium on the periodic table of elements is a K, potassium is not the same as vitamin K. Both are essential micronutrients, but potassium is a mineral, not a vitamin, and has different functions in the body than vitamin K. While some foods contain both of these nutrients, the major sources for potassium and vitamin K are also different.

Potassium is an electrolyte, meaning it helps conduct electricity through your body, enabling muscle contraction and helping to keep your heart beating properly. It counteracts the effects of sodium, helping you maintain normal blood pressure levels. Potassium also plays a role in digestion and building proteins, and helps maintain the proper balance between acids and bases in the body.

Many foods contain potassium, so it isn't common for people to be deficient in potassium unless they suffer from certain health problems -- although not everyone consumes the recommended dietary allowance for adults of 4,700 milligrams per day. Some of the better sources of potassium include citrus juices, bananas, tomatoes, cantaloupes, avocados, potatoes, lima beans, meat, poultry, cod, flounder and salmon. Dairy products contain potassium, as do nuts, kiwi fruit, apricots, prunes, peas, broccoli, winter squash, sweet potatoes and soy products.

The main function of vitamin K is helping your blood to clot. However, this isn't the only role this vitamin plays in the body. It also helps to keep your bones strong, limiting your risk for fractures as you get older. Some medications, including cholesterol medications and antibiotics, can interfere with vitamin K absorption, and vitamin K can interfere with blood thinners, so speak with your doctor before taking vitamin K supplements to find out whether they are safe or necessary for you.

The best sources of vitamin K are green vegetables, since the chlorophyll that makes the vegetables green provides vitamin K. Green leafy vegetables are very high in this vitamin, but it is also found in green tea, beef liver, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, meat, fish, eggs, vegetable oils and cereals. Bacteria in your digestive tract also make small amounts of vitamin K, but not enough to supply all of your vitamin K needs. Women should consume at least 90 micrograms per day, and men should consume 120 micrograms per day.

With all of this said and like others have repeated, potassium is often not listed on labels or in the food base but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It is not required that they list it on labels so often it is not. Unless you are having health issues, you are probably fine with your potassium intake as is with a balanced diet. Go see your doctor and get a blood test to determine if you are potassium deficient before thinking about supplementing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I take mine all natural,
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    I'm bumping this. I, too, can't stand bananas. Glad you asked this.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Watermelon, fish, chicken, avocados, cantaloupe, Mrs. Dash seasoning, zucchini, etc.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Generally most people balance k+ pretty well on a normal, average diet so don't stress it. The vast majority of patients I've seen with abnormal potassium results are due to either blood pressure medications, renal malfunction or profound dehydration due to gastric disturbance (ie the squirts)
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I started logging food at MFP I became obsessed with my potassium intake. It was the only micro I consistently wasn't reaching recommended levels. Then I had some blood work done and my potassium was safely within the recommended range. I'm guessing that I'm taking in a lot of "hidden" potassium due to it not being required on the label. Either that or the recommended allowance is out of whack.