When did people start to notice??

Options

Replies

• lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I started in June I was at my highest weight (375) since then I’ve lost 44 pounds and people have only started to make comments... and even now it’s from my boyfriend, my trainer and a few people at work who know I’m working out and trying to lose weight. I can really tell in my clothes but since I see myself every day I only see a slight difference. Hopefully they notice and are just to scared to say anything :) Congrats on your loss! keep it up!
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've never been technically overweight, but I've gained and lost the same 30lbs a few times and nobody but myself has ever noticed! So I'm really paranoid I'm one of those people who stores fat mainly around their organs. lol Keeps me on my toes!
  • Ridgemom53
    Options
    I am 5'0 tall and have lost 15 pounds. A few people have noticed, but not as many as I thought would have. That being said 3 summers ago, I walked an hour every night but didn't change my eating habits. I didn't lose one pound even though I waked every day for 3 months straight. I did however have people asking me if I had lost weight all the time back then. It's strange what people notice or don't.
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd lost around a stone before anyone said anything - it was a colleague who hadn't seen me in around a month so I think it was easier for her to see than it was for people who saw me every day.

Well done, by the way!
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've lost my last 25lbs over the summer. Close friends started noticing about a month ago (since I joined MFP) and would make encouraging comments. In the last week, people at my gym who had been away over the summer and who know me from various classes really started noticing and stopping me in halls. Lots of hugs kisses and accolades!
  • torisiegel
    Options
    At 13 lbs. lost, I went down a pant size and bought some new dark jeans. People noticed and commented! Of course, I felt very confident in them so that may have been it. :) I gained some of that weight back over the summer, so now I'm working to get those (and more) off.
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My wife started to notice around 15 pounds. No one else has noticed or at least they have not said anything. I think part of it is our spouse sees our naked body so small differences are easier to spot. At work / school you are hidden under your clothes which after some weight loss are looking baggy so it is extra hard to tell. Most importantly are you doing this for other people or yourself? Right, so don't worry if Bob in accounting has not noticed.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    People noticed on me after about ten pounds. I lost a lot in my face and neck to begin with so that probably helped.

But other people noticing isn't as important as noticing for myself how much better I feel!
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs and people are telling me my face looks thin.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Completely different boat from many of you- I really didn't have weight to lose- I wasn't interested in losing weight- I was hovering around 165/170 and quiet happy with my shape/size and fitness level.

I have always been fit and strong. But I started to make diet adjustments and was getting smaller but no losing weight...and I got a LOT of comments but I always just brushed them off saying I was smaller but hadn't lost a lot of weight... it wasn't till I went to my doctors office when I jumped on the scale and she read off 156 I almost croaked. I'm on average about 160 now- so it's not even that much- but because I wasn't really over weight to begin with- a lot of people commented... and often. It was actually annoying. I think if you are smaller and you lose weight it's way more noticeable more quickly than if you are extremely over weight- people are conscious about saying something and they don't want to be like oh hey by the way.

I feel like after 2 sizes people start to really comment- which is between 10-15 lbs.... and if you aren't keeping up with clothing- you start to look - well for lack of a better work- frumpy- it's harder to tell- and harder to comment. And it's hard to go buy all new clothing- but it's definitely something I would consider doing if you start loosing sizes- it'll encourage you and it'll help facilitate the positive trend!!! Positive reinforcement is AWESOME for inspiration- esp when it's all driven from internal- motivation!

congrats to everyone on their success thus far- you guys are WAY more inspirational to me than a lot of other "fitness" folks. it's hard chore to tackle- kudo's to you all. you guys make me proud!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"1' and started at 230lbs. It was around 30 lbs before anybody noticed. That's also around the time I got rid of the baggy clothes and moved to a smaller size. When I hit 50 lbs down everybody started commented. I also moved to the next smaller size again. Best comment was from one co-worker to another, "What are you having for lunch?" "Well, after looking at her (me), I'm getting a salad!"
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I figure I was about 100 pounds overweight at the start. It was around 40 pounds in people started noticing. Around 60 in people started noticing the continued loss. But there is a factor involved here. I still wore my old clothes until that 60 pound mark. They got so baggy I had to get some new ones. If you continue to wear the clothes as they get baggy, the progress is harder to see.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs and people noticed...although they thought I had lost 20 or more!...I was not sure if I should be happy or offended..that they thought I was so heavy before...

But I am a shorty almost 5'2...Went from 150ish to 140ish when they started noticing...
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 70 pounds and friends/family I see often are the only ones who've said anything.

EDIT: I'm still over 400 pounds so it's understandable though.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    People started to notice when I was down around 10 lbs. I'm 5'8, though i have a lot of muscle, so people first started telling me that My legs, stomach, back etc. looked way more defined. when I was down 15 lbs, people started telling me that I looked downright tiny lol.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat! I'm 5'3" lost 19 lbs going from 200 to 181 and only my husband is taking notice. It pushes me to keep going. And I know I shouldn't need other peoples' recognition of my weight loss, but I really can't wait for my family and friends to notice! haha.

Keep up the great work and congratulations on your 17 lb loss! :)
  • luisgerry16
    luisgerry16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My coworkers and friends that see me pretty regularly didn't really start to say anything until I hit around the 30 lbs mark, although my clothes were fitting much better and I felt better. It was always pretty frustrating since I wanted everyone to mention my progress and I felt like all my hard work wasn't working; then I though that maybe they just don't want to embarrass me at the office by asking me.

Keep at it and forget about if other people notice or not, don't let that get to you. Congratulations on your 17lbs loss!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs and people noticed...although they thought I had lost 20 or more!...I was not sure if I should be happy or offended..that they thought I was so heavy before...

But I am a shorty almost 5'2...Went from 150ish to 140ish when they started noticing...

yeah- I had the same kind of reaction- I was like really? why did no one tell me they thought I was fat!!!!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    People are starting to notice just now and i have lost close to 25 pounds. AT 5'5 went down from 173-148.
    Even now people are cautious before they ask, but they are starting to notice for sure:) It also majorly depends on the clothes you wear. When i still continued to wear my lose overweight clothes, people did not notice as much as when i wear something that fits me nicely :flowerforyou:
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you weigh when you start. For me, it took about 40 pounds or so. If you are smaller to begin with, they may notice sooner. Just keep going...they will notice.

At least the most important person noticed... :wink: