for those who run-pain in side?

Options
I have been jogging off and on for a while now. The past couple of days I have been getting a pain in my side after about 2 minutes. Does anyone know what causes this? How to prevent it?

Replies

• 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    are you having a meal in the 2 hours before you start running?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You are probably breathing too shallow and too rapid. Try taking deeper breaths and slow down your breathing.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I've typically heard its a diaphragm thing, need to stretch it out properly. I'll paste some info from an article below, but one method to stop it is to breath deep, hard, and loudly. I know this may be weird if people are around, but doing that will help stretch out your diaphragm and alleviate the pain. Also, start a little slower so you are not taking fast, shallow breaths at the beginning, ease into your run.

Side Stitch Info....
    A more complicated explanation put forth by some researchers is that a side stitch is caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to the internal organs, particularly the liver. The jarring motion of running while breathing in and out stretches these ligaments. Runners tend to exhale every two or four steps. Most people exhale as the left foot hits the ground, but some people exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is the later group who seem more prone to get side stitches.

Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm.

What to Do for a Side Stitch
    If you develop a side stitch when running, stop running and place your hand into the right side of your belly and push up while inhaling and exhaling evenly. As you run or swim, try to take even, deep breaths. The stretched ligament theory would argue that shallow breathing tends to increase the risk of a stitch because the diaphragm is always slightly raised and never lowers far enough to allow the ligaments to relax. When this happens the diaphragm becomes stressed and a spasm or "stitch" is more likely.
    Some other ways to alleviate the pain of a side stitch include:

Tips for Preventing a Side Stitch
    • Time your pre-race meal to allow it to digest prior to the event
    • Avoid drinking reconstituted fruit juices and beverages high in carbohydrate and osmolality before and during exercise
    • Stretching may relieve the pain of a stitch. Raise your right arm straight up and lean toward the left. Hold for 30 seconds, release, then stretch the other side.
    • Slow down your pace until pain lessens.
    • Massage or press on the area with pain. Bend forward to stretch the diaphragm and ease the pain.
    • * If you continue to experience pain, see your doctor.
  • snsmyth
    Options
    Runners tend to exhale every two or four steps. Most people exhale as the left foot hits the ground, but some people exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is the later group who seem more prone to get side stitches.

Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm.

I try to breathe in a pattern that switches which foot hits the ground on the exhale. So: In-in-in -- out-out. It works pretty well.
  • robin949598
    robin949598 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I will definitely try some of these options.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I concur with everyone that suggested you try to alter your breathing and see if that helps. My grade school track coach taught me a method for dealing with side stitches that I has worked for me ever since: He said when you get a pain in your side while running, you should focus on filling your chest with air and pushing outward when inhaling through your nose and to suck in while exhaling as your lungs empty, either through your mouth or nose. I know it sounds obvious, but a lot of people take shallow breaths from the chest. Deeper belly breathing can really help! Good luck!
  • excitedaboutfitness
    Options
    I've had a similar problem ever since I started running and Zumba. I always thought that it was breathing issues, but after spending months in yoga and pilates classes working on my breathing and paying attention while I exercise, I found that my breathing wasn't the issue.

I went to my MD who ended up sending me to a physical therapist. My PT found that my overall body posture was incorrect (I stick my butt out, and my chest forward) which overextends my upper rib cage. It doesn't cause any pain at all when I am not exercising, but as soon as I start to do anything involving jumping or running, I get sharp pains right under my breast, at the top of my ribcage. The pain subsides when I cease exercising.

So, the overall long-term solution is to correct my posture. My PT has me "connecting my pelvis to my sternum" while sit/stand/walk and doing some other exercises to strengthen my deep abdominal muscles. What will happen eventually is that the posture correction will cross over into my jumping/running/exercise habits.

But, if fixing your breathing doesn't work, go to an MD or PT! My MD had no idea what was wrong, short of there being inflammation near my upper rib cage.
  • cwsikes
    Options
    Behing dehydrated can also cause you to cramp up more easily. Usually when I get a diaphragm cramp it's because I'm pushing too hard, not focusing on breathing, or dehydrated....or all three.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I call my Fred. He's like a really good friend... always around when times get tough. (UHG)

So, yeah food within 3 hours of running causes it with me. Also, if I haven't had enough water I get it.

I also experimented with different breathing. A magazine said to try inhaling and exhaling on different feet. I don't know if that helped or it just helped me focus.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Drinking a good amount of water at least 15 minutes before you run will help.

When I get side cramps, I personally find it helpful to tense up those muscles - kind of like what you would do with a charley horse. I haven't tried the breathing modification techniques others have mentioned, though, so I'll be curious to see how that works!

Whatever you do... keep running! :smile: