Not eating enough?

Options
I've been watching my diet for a couple of weeks now, exercising regularly for the first time since high school for almost a month...
I'm 43, 6'0" and currently 259 lbs, I'm losing weight at or above my target rate and certainly don't feel my metabolism has gone into starvation mode.
According to MFP I am way under my calorie target most days, and noticed a shortage of fats in my diet.
I don't feel hungry, I have more energy than I have had for a long time and I am sleeping better than ever.

Am I doing myself harm under eating and is the low fat diet going to cause me problems?

Replies

• pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    decided to 'top up' today with some tuna in mayo and crackers. Didn't really need it appetite wise, but was at 1600 Calorie excess deficit after dinner, so had plenty to spare
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Well what is your daily calorie goal, how was it calculated, and how are your macros broken down?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is at least 2,000 .... so yes, you are not eating enough.

BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you were in a coma

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

TDEE - total daily expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including) exercise

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

When people try to lose weight too quickly, they often sacrifice muscle mass. Your body doesn't get enough fuel, so it takes from fat stores AND lean muscle tissue. Healthy weight loss should be about lowering your body fat percentage.

Dietary fat is good for you. Yes, there are "bad" fats .... trans fats ....but fat is not bad. If you are concerned about saturated fats, try to focus on adding healthier (plant based) fats ....nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I just plugged in your numbers to this calculator (below) and if you were to eat at an (aggressive) 20% deficit from your TDEE [Total Daily Energy Expenditure], assuming you exercise 1-3 hours a week, you should be eating 2,530 cals/day to lose weight. According to that calculator you are currently eating below your BMR, which isn't really a good thing.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

According to this calculator, you should be eating 2,322 cals/day to lose weight. Maybe up your calories to ~2,400 cals/day.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • pricesteve
    Options
    Well what is your daily calorie goal, how was it calculated, and how are your macros broken down?

My diary is open, but my goal is 1630 and I'm doing about 1000 Cal cardio 5 or 6 days a week.

4 of the last 5 days I have had 1000 Calories left over at the end of the day, so basically not eating back any of my excercise.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

My diary is open, but my goal is 1630 and I'm doing about 1000 Cal cardio 5 or 6 days a week.

4 of the last 5 days I have had 1000 Calories left over at the end of the day, so basically not eating back any of my excercise.

Reference my post, or TeaBea's post.

To put it in perspective: I am a 22 year old female, 5'5", weigh ~122 pounds and I eat 1,500 calories a day (which is still on the low end- I will be upping to 1,600 calories soon). You are twice my age, twice my weight, and much taller than me- you should be eating a LOT more than I do.

ETA: If you use the calculators I provided you, that is the flat number you should eat. In other words, if you use a TDEE calculator for your goals, do NOT eat back exercise calories. To ensure that my "net" calories don't get messed up on MyFitnessPal (since I use a TDEE calculation) I log all my exercise as 1 calorie burned.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, if losing weight faster than estimated, 2 reasons or combo of them likely.

Your daily maintenance figure they take the deficit from is higher than guessed, ie you are not sedentary in your non-exercise daily activity. So you have a bigger deficit than expected.

Along the same lines your exercise is actually burning more than you are logging, creating a bigger deficit. or you are not eating them back creating unrealistic deficit.

Other reason that usually goes along with above, you are losing muscle mass, and while 3500 calories per lb of fat to supply energy is true, it's only 600 calories for a lb of muscle and energy supply, do diet wrong and you can easily lose weight from lost muscle mass.

You not eating back your exercise is just making that latter part worse, and will have results you really don't want down the road.

Unless you are very knowledgable along the lines of calorie amounts and body physiology, follow the program the way it's supposed to be, which sadly even there can be unrealistic with your setting choices.

if more was better, why don't you just stop eating, right, until all the weight is gone?
    If not, why not?

If you have a very steady routine that hardly varies, then I'd suggest the above advice on TDEE deficit method, allows eating the same every day, which you've already been doing, sadly at unsustainable level.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I am 54 in a similar situation and rarely hit my net calories in fact way below I have read and understand the theory but cannot eat the calories I burn in addition, I am already eating a lot more than before I started on MFP and cannot see how I can consume another thousand calories per day.
  • TeaBea
    Options

What Kylee said ..... you should be eating way more. Eating exercise calories back seems to make no sense ....but you are exercising for fitness not weight loss. Exercise helps you keep muscle (and lose fat) .......IF you fuel your workouts. Without fuel, you are working hard to lose muscle..... not good.

**Calorie burns using MFP and many machines are overstated .....you might start by eating back 500 calories .....BUT your starting point should be higher than 1630 calories.

A well rounded exercise plan will include strength training as well.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, if losing weight faster than estimated, 2 reasons or combo of them likely.

Your daily maintenance figure they take the deficit from is higher than guessed, ie you are not sedentary in your non-exercise daily activity. So you have a bigger deficit than expected.

Along the same lines your exercise is actually burning more than you are logging, creating a bigger deficit. or you are not eating them back creating unrealistic deficit.

Other reason that usually goes along with above, you are losing muscle mass, and while 3500 calories per lb of fat to supply energy is true, it's only 600 calories for a lb of muscle and energy supply, do diet wrong and you can easily lose weight from lost muscle mass.

You not eating back your exercise is just making that latter part worse, and will have results you really don't want down the road.

Unless you are very knowledgable along the lines of calorie amounts and body physiology, follow the program the way it's supposed to be, which sadly even there can be unrealistic with your setting choices.

if more was better, why don't you just stop eating, right, until all the weight is gone?
    If not, why not?

If you have a very steady routine that hardly varies, then I'd suggest the above advice on TDEE deficit method, allows eating the same every day, which you've already been doing, sadly at unsustainable level.

^ heybales has all the info. Listen to him.

Do not diet away your muscle. You will need it back in the long run. It's easier to maintain it now than build it back up later.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Where are you getting 1630 as your goal? I'm a 5'3" female trying to lose weight and MY daily goal is 1600. MFP has set your goal at 2680, so I would try to stick as close to that as you can. I would at least make your goal to eat over 2000 calories a day. Heybales gave you some great advice on why undereating isn't a good way to lose weight.
  • pricesteve
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am exercising for fitness, when I started in the gym 4 weeks ago I could barely last 30 mins of moderate cardio without feeling like I was going to up chuck. Now I can do 90 minutes at the recommended heart rate without any real after effects apart from needing my lunch.

I'm not trying to lose too fast, I would be happy with a steady 2lbs per week for the next 10 months to reach my target.

I will try and up my calories with some more nutrient dense food, and not be so worried about total fat content in what I am buying.
    My daily goal from scoobysworkshop.com should be around 2900/day according to a 20% deficit of TDEE, almost double what I am eating on some days.

I use the gym's equipment to measure Calories burnt rather than MFPs, but the numbers seem to be pretty close to each other anyhow (within 5%)
  • pricesteve
    Options

Where are you getting 1630 as your goal? I'm a 5'3" female trying to lose weight and MY daily goal is 1600. MFP has set your goal at 2680, so I would try to stick as close to that as you can. I would at least make your goal to eat over 2000 calories a day. Heybales gave you some great advice on why undereating isn't a good way to lose weight.

The 1630 is what my daily goal is pre excercise, I work a desk job with no normal daily activity unlogged
    Your Daily Goal 1,630 224 54 61 2,500 33 from tomorrows unused diary
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am exercising for fitness, when I started in the gym 4 weeks ago I could barely last 30 mins of moderate cardio without feeling like I was going to up chuck. Now I can do 90 minutes at the recommended heart rate without any real after effects apart from needing my lunch.

I'm not trying to lose too fast, I would be happy with a steady 2lbs per week for the next 10 months to reach my target.

I will try and up my calories with some more nutrient dense food, and not be so worried about total fat content in what I am buying.
    My daily goal from scoobysworkshop.com should be around 2900/day according to a 20% deficit of TDEE, almost double what I am eating on some days.

I use the gym's equipment to measure Calories burnt rather than MFPs, but the numbers seem to be pretty close to each other anyhow (within 5%)

Ok - 2 pounds per week until you meet your goal IS an aggressive goal. The closer you get to goal the slower weight loss will be. As you get closer to goal you would have to keep eating less and less (each week) to keep the same 7,000 calorie deficit. That's because smaller people use less calories.

Here's a list of moderate goals.......

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • heybales
    Options

Great job on progress.

While goals are great, time based goals for weight loss requiring specific numbers being hit can be very discouraging, as weight loss is not linear.
    Goals for just hitting your eating level and amount of exercise is fine - then let the results fall where they may, if everything was setup correctly.

As commented, 2 lbs of only fat loss would quickly become too aggressive.

What's nice with the TDEE deficit method, if honest with activity level, is you don't need to worry about the calorie burn of the workout.

MFP and the machines are probably using the same formula's, except treadmill has in-between speeds and can include incline, which MFP doesn't have data on.

So you've probably seen ones log their workouts as 1 cal, that's because they are using that TDEE Deficit method, and as long as the workout was already planned and accounted for in the TDEE level, you don't eat it back, and you don't want it changing your macros.

Since you are really just starting exercise, the basis of the math, your BMR, could be inflated though, based on age, weight, height. You might compare a BMR based on bodyfat% and weight, as that is best estimate, and you do exercise a lot to have a high TDEE, no need it being inflated over reality.

Check out the spreadsheet on my profile page to see if the numbers are similar to the rough 5 level TDEE.
  • KCW37
    KCW37 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    throw some all natural peanut butter in your diet its a great fat source and heavy on calories so if your having trouble eating enough this will be perfect
  • heybales
    Options

Great job on progress.

While goals are great, time based goals for weight loss requiring specific numbers being hit can be very discouraging, as weight loss is not linear.
    Goals for just hitting your eating level and amount of exercise is fine - then let the results fall where they may, if everything was setup correctly.

As commented, 2 lbs of only fat loss would quickly become too aggressive.

What's nice with the TDEE deficit method, if honest with activity level, is you don't need to worry about the calorie burn of the workout.

MFP and the machines are probably using the same formula's, except treadmill has in-between speeds and can include incline, which MFP doesn't have data on.

So you've probably seen ones log their workouts as 1 cal, that's because they are using that TDEE Deficit method, and as long as the workout was already planned and accounted for in the TDEE level, you don't eat it back, and you don't want it changing your macros.

Since you are really just starting exercise, the basis of the math, your BMR, could be inflated though, based on age, weight, height. You might compare a BMR based on bodyfat% and weight, as that is best estimate, and you do exercise a lot to have a high TDEE, no need it being inflated over reality.

Check out the spreadsheet on my profile page to see if the numbers are similar to the rough 5 level TDEE.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Whichever method you choose you need to eat more than 1600 a day.... I am 43 years old and I weigh 250 lbs. and have been in maintenance for the last 11 1/2 months at 4000 calories a day... I use the MFP approach over tdee just personal preference... but I can easily loose weight on a 3700 calories eating deficit...... Best of Luck