Protein shakes

Options
I don't know if this has been covered before - and apologies if it has been recently - but I've heard that protein shakes (ie Shakeology) can be expensive and wondered if there is another - cheaper - option of having a protein fix after a workout?

Some dvds more or less insist that you will benefit more if you have one after a heavy workout and that it helps towards building muscle etc, but I would just like a bit of advice please.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    eat meat? simple as that. bacon buttie, sausages, or precooked meat of any sort if you can't be bothered cooking right after a work out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Shakeology isnt' a protein shake. It's an overpriced meal replacement.

There are a plethora of protein powders on the market in varying ranges of calories, grams of protein, price, etc....
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky!!!
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If Shakeology is a meal replacement, do the people that tend to promote it on Insanity have that instead of a proper meal - or as well as?

Due to the hours I work I need to have my evening meal with my son as soon as I get home (and even that can be 6.30), otherwise it'd be too late by the time the workout was finished, so instead I do it a good hour or more after we've eaten (to give it plenty of chance to settle). It was easier when I was married cos my ex-husband used to make the dinners while I was working out, which was a lot more practical.
  • RGv2
    Options
    If Shakeology is a meal replacement, do the people that tend to promote it on Insanity have that instead of a proper meal - or as well as?

Due to the hours I work I need to have my evening meal with my son as soon as I get home (and even that can be 6.30), otherwise it'd be too late by the time the workout was finished, so instead I do it a good hour or more after we've eaten (to give it plenty of chance to settle). It was easier when I was married cos my ex-husband used to make the dinners while I was working out, which was a lot more practical.

Shakeology is a meal replacement, so that's what it's intended to do....replace a meal. I personally prefer to eat my meals.

I use a powder with ~40g protein and 120 calories per shake (when mixed w/ water)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Shakeology is a meal replacement, so that's what it's intended to do....replace a meal. I personally prefer to eat my meals.

I use a powder with ~40g protein and 120 calories per shake (when mixed w/ water)

Which do you use? My powder (which I LOVE) only has 15 grams of protein for 120 calories. It would be nice to get that much protein for that few calories, especially if it's not disgusting!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

How is that possible, 1 gram of protein is 4 calories. 40 x 4 = 160 calories, and thats only if your protein is pure protein with no fats or carbs.
  • RGv2
    Options

How is that possible, 1 gram of protein is 4 calories. 40 x 4 = 160 calories, and thats only if your protein is pure protein with no fats or carbs.

Typo, if that's ok, it was supposed to be 20
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Drat! I'll stick with my wonderful Click then.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been covered before - and apologies if it has been recently - but I've heard that protein shakes (ie Shakeology) can be expensive and wondered if there is another - cheaper - option of having a protein fix after a workout?

Real food instead of powder?

Meat, Greek yogurt, edamame...all good sources of protein.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options

Real food instead of powder?

Meat, Greek yogurt, edamame...all good sources of protein.

This. And also be aware that you don't have to gorge on protein after a workout. Eat some if you like or if you're hungry or whatever, but not because someone said you have to. This is the marketing spew of supplement hucksters.
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. It was actually food that I was referring to, don't think I'd get enough satisfaction from just having a shake, especially when I have to cook a proper meal for my son. Though it is interesting to read a bit of info about shakes.