How to run with gaining as little muscle as possible?

Options
hi, im gonna start running about 3 miles once or twice a week, but i will be walking some of it the first few weeks until i can fully run them all. tips on doing this without gaining a lot of muscle and weight? i want to have skinny legs.. not super muscular.

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    hi, im gonna start running about 3 miles once or twice a week, but i will be walking some of it the first few weeks until i can fully run them all. tips on doing this without gaining a lot of muscle and weight? i want to have skinny legs.. not super muscular.

Run with your arms?

Seriously, what?
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting body builder legs from doing cardio once or twice a week.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting body builder legs from doing cardio once or twice a week.

^^ agree~ I'm not a doctor either
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Running won't make your legs big, actually the opposite.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    if anything they'll maybe tone up a bit and you'll see existing muscle but I don't think you'll gain much muscle from it anyways
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Ummm what?

I love running and I love the fact that it leans me out so . . .

You're not going to get muscular running.

Have you ever seen a muscular runner? I haven't. They're long and lean.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ummm....I think you'll be fine. I know of exactly nobody who got bulky running...I'm not even sure if this post is serious or not...

Runners are so bulky....

male-marathon-runner.JPG
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh.......yeah. The more time I spend here, the more worried I become about the future mental health of my young daughter. Why are these always started by 18-22 year old females?
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Running should help make longer lean muscles (however - sprinters do tend to bulk up)
    If you are starting out and 3 miles is your goal you might want to look up the "Rundouble" C25K App (unfortunately only compatible with the android phones)

The App (and even the rundouble webpage) gives you a plan of walk/run to bring you from Couch to 5K in 9 weeks. It is a very doable progression. The App/webpage keeps track of your pace and distance so you can motivate yourself.

Just a thought.
    I've liked using it and I am not a previous runner
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options

Run with your arms?

Seriously, what?
    my thoughts exactly.
    seriously...huh?!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzauclSqCb1qgzbrvo1_250_zpsbe0c9d3a.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just run and control your diet according to your goals.

I have no idea where you got the idea that running will make you bulky. Cheesefries make you bulky, not exercise.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh.......yeah. The more time I spend here, the more worried I become about the future mental health of my young daughter. Why are these always started by 18-22 year old females?

Yeah, asking reasonable questions warrants concern for mental health issues....

Not everyone knows the ins and outs of what makes you gain muscle, how fast, muscle loss, fat loss, etc. I'm sure you didn't always know. It's not a stupid question, and I don't think her age and gender has anything to do with it.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor either, but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

If you walk/jog/run, your calves/thighs will become more defined and depending on how much fat you harbor in those regions, may even shrink.

Good luck, though.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    Options
    You, my sweet angel face, you should probably just sit down right this minute. Standing builds massive muscles, or so I hear.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You definitely won't get bulky legs. I started the same way you are and now I run three to four miles at least four days a week and my legs have only gotten thinner since I started running two years ago. There's a picture in which you can see my legs on my profile.
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just run and control your diet according to your goals.

I have no idea where you got the idea that running will make you bulky. Cheesefries make you bulky, not exercise.

Mmmmm...cheese fries.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

lolwut?

bless your heart. that's not how it works
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

lolwut?

bless your heart. that's not how it works