Gluten Free and abscence of any appetite at all

Options
So I've recently switched to removing gluten from my diet in an effort to help with liver damage and inflammation. Ever since I have, I've had no appetite. Like none. Every bite of food I have to force into my mouth. Like, I have to prelog and be like ok you have to eat this. Because I just would literally eat nothing. Even water is meh and I usually really like water. Has anyone else experienced this? Its really annoying. I don't want to just not eat and feel worse but its really hard right now.

Replies

• donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I felt like that when I was diagnosed and went gluten free, it does get better to where you can enjoy food but the hunger never really comes back, atleast thats how it is for me
  • piscesy2k
    piscesy2k Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nope, have never had that, in fact have felt more willing to eat and try out the GF foods that are available.

I have not looked at your diary, but you might find that you have cut out carbs and replaced it with more protein, and that would make you feel fuller.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I literally had to force the 600 cals I got in today. I feel like just vaguely nauseous all the time. I hope this goes away. I don't want to get sick from not really eating. and it wasnt from protein bc i didnt even really eat till dinner because i felt so yucky. It was like that yesterday, and less the day before. And my husband is like justttt eattt breaddd and I have to be strong and be like yeah I don't want a liver transplant sooooo no thanks.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I felt like my digestion slowed down a lot before I went GF ... It took about 2 full month to not feel like I was going to vomit if I ate more than a cup of food or drank a cup of water ... I also had trouble drinking while eating ... Now, I'm fine ...
  • cgm117
    cgm117 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Your nausea and anorexia could very well be related to your liver disease and not your diet. It is usually the condition that causes you to switch to a GF diet that results in the digestive issues and not the diet itself. Also, a high protein diet is hard on your liver so don't overcompensate for the lack of gluten with greater amounts of protein.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    I never felt like this before stopping the gluten so I figured its some sort of terrible gluten detox? Like when an alcoholic stops drinking and life is hell for a while.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    In all honesty I feel like I could just not eat at all until I was at my goal weight haha and I would not give one hoot. Like at all. For what, four days ish. and its worse every day.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I literally had to force the 600 cals I got in today. I feel like just vaguely nauseous all the time. I hope this goes away. I don't want to get sick from not really eating. and it wasnt from protein bc i didnt even really eat till dinner because i felt so yucky. It was like that yesterday, and less the day before. And my husband is like justttt eattt breaddd and I have to be strong and be like yeah I don't want a liver transplant sooooo no thanks.

The way I see it, if you want to fast, go ahead and fast. Let your body tell you what it wants.

right now it doesn't want anything. Maybe it wants a chance to heal up a bit? I don't know.

But I do know that a few weeks of not eating won't kill you, will probably make you lose a bit of weight (never as much as you hope though) and by the time you need to eat again, you'll be right as rain.

Just go with it. don't worry about it. Take it for what it is. But yeah, try to get the fluids in.

Maybe you need to go to bed for a few days.
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor about a gluten free diet? I have celiac disease and ulcerative colitis. I need to be on a gluten free diet. The diet tends to be low in iron and B-12. I take supplemental vitamins in gel caps for increased absorption. I due sometimes have decreased appetite. I also like to drink plain water and tend to eat less than my calorie goal. Are you feeling bloated? I have to have at least 20 grams of fiber a day to stay regular. Sometimes, not eliminating properly can cause me to have a decreased appetite. Your liver problems may be part of the problem as well.

Deborah
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Drinking calories is a good way to increase your intake, because it's not satiating.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Liver damage?

That sounds like the kind of thing that should involve the supervision of a competent medical professional.

ETA: And by that, I mean, you should probably raise this development with that medical professional who is treating you for the liver damage.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    Liver damage?

That sounds like the kind of thing that should involve the supervision of a competent medical professional.

ETA: And by that, I mean, you should probably raise this development with that medical professional who is treating you for the liver damage.

I have non alcoholic liver disease which was suggested by my surgeon (who removed my gallbladder) that it could have been from a gluten intolerance (which he said is more common that people think, different from celiac) or from pregnancies being close together (but they didn't think that would have caused it to this level on its own) as I don't drink. Which yes, was diagnosed by a competent medical professional. Unfortunately, in this great US of A insurance often costs a person's entire paycheck and i don't have the money for private insurance and I don't qualify for medicaid as I'm not a single parent.

He pretty much gave me his guesses and left me to decide what to do to treat my liver. And took out my gallbladder, of course. And sent me a bill for about 30,000 for my surgery.