A small confession

Options
Here it is:

I don't let MFP automatically post all my workouts to my profile / friends. Instead, I manually add selected workouts, using the MFP format. Why? Because it just feels dumb when my friends say something like "Great workout!" when all I did was an easy recovery run. So I save it for the serious workouts when I have really accomplished something.

I also don't automatically post when my weight goes down, since I typically go up one day and down the next. I manually post my weight when I reach a milestone. Feels much better to get praise when you believe you've actually accomplished something.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I do the same things. I don't like to spam my friends list with constant weight fluctuation or with little bits of exercise (like walking). It's a courtesy thing :)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't let MFP automatically post all my workouts to my profile / friends. Instead, I manually add selected workouts, using the MFP format. Why? Because it just feels dumb when my friends say something like "Great workout!" when all I did was an easy recovery run. So I save it for the serious workouts when I have really accomplished something.
    I wouldn't sweat it. If your friends are genuinely interested in providing encouragement, then they will want to see what you're doing. Everyone should know that some workout days will be lighter than others. Yeah, the responses you get might seem automatic, but I think the effort one makes in typing something is justification enough to let your workouts be posted. My $.02. Plus, even if one of your lighter day workouts gets posted, there's a chance it might be enough to get a friend to go out and put in a similar workout (even if he or she had already planned on skipping it completely).
    I also don't automatically post when my weight goes down, since I typically go up one day and down the next. I manually post my weight when I reach a milestone. Feels much better to get praise when you believe you've actually accomplished something.
    I can understand this point completely. If you're maintaining, then switching off the posting feature makes sense. But if your weight is fluctuating by fractions of an amount often, you can also just decrease your weigh-ins. If it's water weight, for example, then weighing yourself constantly isn't really beneficial. Maybe change to weekly weigh-ins? That way, the results will have a more meaningful insight into what your body is doing. Of course, it really helps to make sure that the weekly weigh-in is on the same day, same time each week (to keep all the variables to a minimum).

Just some additional thoughts,...I don't want to speak for others, but I don't consider anything a friend posts to be spam. I may not comment on every update, but I like to see my friends demonstrating that they care about their nutrition and fitness, even if it's just logging in for a certain number of days in a row to burning 80 calories walking the dog. It's kind of inspiring to me.

Keep up the great work, Dave! Awesome job running in all those marathons. Total respect!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yup.

In fact, I don't post workouts at all (but that's mostly because I run those through fitbit for the calorie adjustment, if any).
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I do the same things. I don't like to spam my friends list with constant weight fluctuation or with little bits of exercise (like walking). It's a courtesy thing :)
    maybe i like being spammed.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't have my diary or workouts show on my news feed at all. Ever. I am crazy like that.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Yup.

In fact, I don't post workouts at all (but that's mostly because I run those through fitbit for the calorie adjustment, if any).

True Story. He posts word problems.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yep. I stopped posting them including consecutive days and practically anything auto-posted. I never 'complete' my diary for the day and if something gets posted I delete it. About all I post are if I get down to a new low. Its just what I a comfortable with. I say post what you want or don't post what you don't want to. No biggie either way its just what I do.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Okay. I get it. I release my diary and post my workouts less and less as time goes on, but . . . why a thread if you don't want the attention?

Not being an asshat here, but I'm tempted to ask if you want a cookie. But that would be hypocritical, because I want one now that I mention it . . . There you go. You've sabotaged me. :grumble:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yup.

I LedOL...

...and then I cried...because you're mean.

This is why you'll never be on my FL...

...meany.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Okay. I get it. I release my diary and post my workouts less and less as time goes on, but . . . why a thread if you don't want the attention?

Not being an asshat here, but I'm tempted to ask if you want a cookie. But that would be hypocritical, because I want one now that I mention it . . . There you go. You've sabotaged me. :grumble:

Buck up, Little Soldier. Don't let a cookie ruin your journey. You can do this.

Good Job!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Good Job!

^this

You don't need a cookie.

Wait.

What kind of cookie are we talking about here?
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    Yup.

I LedOL...

...meany.

Ummm....:flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    Options

Good Job!

Cookies =/= Gurneys
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yup.

I LedOL...

...meany.

Ummm....:flowerforyou:

Huh?

:huh:

DAMMIT!
  • levalexi
    levalexi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i thought you were going to say you curl in the squat rack...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I confess that I always log 8 cups of water, just because I don't want anyone to get on my case about water. I drink a lot of it. I just don't really give a crap how many ounces.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yup.

I LedOL...

...meany.
    cracking up.