5:2

Options
Ok...my husband fancies giving it a go...neither of us are really overweight....he is slightly and I am at the upper end of healthy BMW and fancy losing a little. I am 1.70 and weigh 70kg. I am pretty sporty...run 10km easily and regularly, can do level 3 jillion Michels 30ds and do an hour of step and Zumba each week. Walk and cycle lots too....we both eat healthily, home cooked non processed foods.
So based on that, how much could I expect to lose doing 5:2? I realise weight loss is just a side effect of the regime and want to do it for the more important associated health benefits. But the weight loss is just an added bonus.
Thanks

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The average on 5:2 is a pound a week, but if you dont have much to lose it might be even slower than that (did you mean BMI?)

There's a couple of good supportive 5:2 groups on here where you'll find lots of information and answers to questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
    is the more active one.

Good luck!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The amount of weight you lose will be related more to the extent of the caloric deficit you create rather than what diet plan you happen to be on at the time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's equal to a 21% deficit, so that depends on how much you eat on average right now that maintains your weight.

I wouldn't really worry about it, just do it and see what you get.

The problem is, the 2 non-consecutive rest days are supposed to be at about 25% of what you would normally eat, so you do need some rough idea of what that is.

So log several days of what you would normally eat, and see how many calories that is.

Then eat that much normally, and 2 days a week, figure out how much you can eat that is 25% of that.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As Rayman79 says, the weight loss is related to calorie deficit- which, in the case of the 5:2 diet, is created by the 2 fast days. If you don't have too much to lose, you would probably aim for 0.5 to 1lb per week. My stats, exercise and eating regimes are similar to yours, and I have started lifting too. I am very close to goal, so now averaging 0.5lb per week.

And as Melanie says, there is a great 5:2 group which she has given you the link for.

Good luck :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The problem is, the 2 non-consecutive rest days are supposed to be at about 25% of what you would normally eat, so you do need some rough idea of what that is.
    500 for women and 600 for men is the usual suggestion.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    500 for women and 600 for men is the usual suggestion.

True, I'm just thinking from their description, their TDEE is much higher than avg 2000 woman and 2400 man avg activity, if that was actually their routine weekly.
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback. We do actually eat about the normal calories.it just look and feels more because there's l;ts of veg and fresh stuff so the fast days would be about 500-600 as described. May give it a go but I can lose weight faster just cutting back slightly every day which seems easier...lol! But the other health benefits are worth considering. I did mean b m I but my predictive text was clearly dreaming of fast cars and not my health!!