Just turned 44, 110 to lose arthritic knee - advice?

Options
Hi!
As the post said, I just turned 44 this week, have 110-120 to lose. Recently have lost all my hair from Alopecia, I homeschool 5 awesome kids and I have an arthritic knee. My hubby has diabetes and high bp, says he wants to change, but doesnt make too many moves in that direction, so I want to, but find it very difficult when hubby isnt on board yet. I love him so much, he has been wonderful blessing and encouragement with hair loss, but I am finding it very difficult to change my habits. I really want to lose the weight, and be an encouragement to my kids. I am wondering if there are any older ladies who have lost a large amount of weight. Would love to hear true stories without surgery and pills. Looking for hints as to where to begin. I played sports all through elementary/highschool, and now can barely take a trail stroll with my kids with out being in a lot of pain - discouraging.. Went out with visiting relatives yesterday and they posted a pic on fb of me....wow. Have cried much of the night. I need to change. Does anyone have advice? I know swimming is wonderful we have a pool, but getting ready to cover it for the season. We live in semi rural area, so the "Y" is 35 min from our house, just too far. Should I lose some weight first? Then attempt exercise? I am desperate for suggestions, encouragement, success stories. I dont mean to sound negative. I really want to make this next year, a year of new eating and exercising habits! Truly believe hearing from others in similar circumstances would be of great encouragement to me!! Thank you so much :)
Tami :)

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight purely through controlled calorie intake - figure out how much you need, and be honest about your activity - looking after 5 kids you're probably not sedentary.

Losing some weight will probably alleviate some of the pain of walking (speaking from my mother's experience with arthritis), but in the mean time have you tried a support of any kind? A lot of people here have also found relief from knee pain after regularly exercising the muscles in the legs, making the muscle alleviate some of the strain from the joint, but your mileage can vary.

You can do all the exercise you need at home; some form of progressive resistance exercise will greatly support you throughout this process, and that can be anything from pilates to yoga to bodyweight strength exercises to weightlifting and gymnastics. Zumba and such like are more cardio exercise and while still good for you, need to be balanced with some form of resistance exercise to promote lean mass retention as you lose weight.

Don't try and lose weight too fast either; if you exceed the rate at which your fat is used to make up for a calorie deficit, the remainder of the deficit has to be accounted for in muscle, bone, organ tissue etc.

Good luck :)
  • sasers
    sasers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Tami:

I too am 44 years old and have a lot of weight to lose (67 lbs total) I have tried for many years to lose weight and would last only about 1 to 2 weeks at most before I was back to my old bad habits. Finally this time, I am sticking with it. I finally hit the point in my life where I am determined to lose the weight and I have a good start. I am on day 69 I think and have lost 16 lbs so far. It hasn't been easy but I am succeeding. My husband needs to lose at least 75 lbs as well but refuses to even try. He unintentionally sabotages me at every point but I don't let him. I keep up a strong determination and don't let myself fail. I try to walk everyday on my treadmill but don't always get to it. I have worked up to where I can walk 5 1/2 miles at a 7 percent incline but if I do that, my knees hurt me for a few days so I try to stay between 3 and 4 miles. I started out only walking about 1/2 mile on flat incline and have slowly worked my way up. I can now walk a flight of steps without getting tired and out of breath. My advise, just take it nice and slow, do what you can. Ignore the temptations (I finally allowed myself a treat on day 60 - a mini blizzard at DQ) If I want a sweet treat, I eat a fat free pudding, I prepackage my snacks to single serving size so that I don't just pour out a bowl full or eat a whole bag full of snacks.
    Remember slow and stead wins the race....if you lose the weight slowly, you are less likely to gain it back. It's a long road ahead of you but it will be so worth it in the end. My favorite day so far, was when I had to ask my husband to put another whole in my belt to make it tighter and every day I have to struggle to keep my pants up! It's a great feeling. Thank goodness I have the support of other family members and friends that encourage me and ask me how it is going everyday. It keeps me on my toes knowing that I have their support behind me. Feel free to friend me if you wish!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Um....I'm 42 and don't consider myself an "older lady". :laugh:

But yes, weight loss without surgery or diet pills is within your grasp. I did it, and am still doing it, so are many others on this site.

I won't get into my whole dramatic story here, instead I'll just say that I began by changing what I was eating as well as accurately measuring and logging EVERYTHING I consumed. Both those things took some time to figure out and get comfortable with...it didn't all happen overnight. The nutritional component of weight loss is super important, but also requires a lot of experimentation and tweaking. Stick with it. Keep things as simple as possible, especially in the early days. Be very patient with yourself and the process, and be tenacious. Keep after it.

I started exercising by simply walking a bit each day. After about a month of that, I felt like doing something else, so I added kettlebell work (this is just what I did, you should do whatever interests you and is something you think you'll stick with). A month or so later I wanted to lift weights, so I joined the gym. I've kept all those things as my exercise to this day, adding little bits here and there, or changing things up...but it generally remains the same because those are the activities I really enjoy. If you find something you love doing and look forward to each day, that's really best for a lifestyle change, which is what you want. Think of the long term with all these changes you want to implement, and if you need to, break them into smaller pieces. For instance, if you think you'd like to become a runner, be okay with walking short distances and building upon that over a long period of time.

To answer your question about weight loss and exercise, no, I don't think you need to lose weight before exercising. I would get on to working out your diet first, and exercise by doing things you can do right now, at your current weight and with whatever issues you have.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi 7nickels,
    I would suggest you take it one small step at a time. Starting on MFP is a good start. I think focusing on smaller goals, like aiming to lose 7lb within a few weeks would be a good goal. If you're on MFP you'll see that losing a large amt of weight can be done, if you just stick with it. Its a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'.

Its also great that you have a supportive hubby. he says he wants to change which is great so if you instigate the change hopefully he'll come on board - and pretty soon hopefully eating better will become a habit.

I find what helps me is eating as much fruit and veggies as possible. ie, filling up on the good things. Since I've started a lifestyle change I find I cook more than I used to and now I prefer my own home cooked healthy meals to the processed meals that seem to be everywhere. If I'm making something like a curry or a bolognese I always do a big pot of it and what I dont' use I put into plastic cartons and put in the freezer, for those times when I really don't feel like cooking or am pressed for time. I find this a great way to avoid the takeaways.

On the exercise side of things, I'd probably just do gentle exercises at first and then try to gradually build up your stamina. If at all possible, don't hold off till you lose some weight :-) If you can only walk 50 yards, do so, and then try to build gradually.

Good luck in the journey, I'm going to add you as a friend as well, if thats okay?

Shivpea
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 this past April and have arthritis in both knees. I have to be very careful what I do for exercise because anything strenuous will make my knees blow up like water balloons! I started slow and mostly stuck to walking because that was the exercise that I enjoyed most and it didn't bother my knees too much. Then, someone here on MFP recommended Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. I looked them up and bought a couple and I was hooked. Her DVDs are very easy, very simple and you get one heck of a workout with them. They are more like low impact aerobics but so very simple and easy on the joints. She breaks them up into miles and, depending on how you are feeling and how you are progressing, you can do anywhere from 1 mile to 5, on some DVDs, 4 on others. The most amazing thing was when my hubby decided on his own to join me when i was exercising with the DVDs! You might find your hubby doing the same. I also ride bikes but, not as often as I would like because, even when wearing braces on both knees, the "up and down" motion of the pedels is more than my knees can handle. I was sure that when I had lost my weight, my knee problems would lessen. Strangely enough, the opposite has happened because I am now more active. As far as I am concerned, though, pain in my knees is a small price to pay for being healthy for the first time in my life. By the way, I am envious of you that you still have children small enough(I am assuming) that you want to be healthy for. My twins are now 20 and basically on their own. I wish I had gotten smart and done what I needed to do while they were still small. Oh well. At least, I'll be ready when the grandchildren start coming.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you - I know exactly how you feel. I was there earlier this year, so here are some tips, and I used no pills, no supplements, and no surgery.

Exercise is great for health, but losing weight comes down to how much and what you eat. Like others have said - log accurately (measure everything), stay within your calories, get a fitbit, and walk your 10,000 steps a day, which I bet you do anyway with 5 kids - even with arthritic knees. Some days, I walk back and forth in my hallway just to get my steps in. Cut out processed carbs and sugar as much as possible. For instance, you can make a big chicken & veggie soup and eat a bowl every time you feel hungry. Happy to share other tips with you if you'd like. By the way, I had ACL surgery on my knee - I know all about knee injuries, and I assure you that you can lose weight without rigorous exercise. As the weight comes off, you'll get stronger and the exercises will increase.

I'm 47 and feeling young - it's all about having a positive attitude. :) When people ask me how I did it, I have one answer: MFP logging - I've logged for 173 days in a row. The MFP community is amazing. You're not alone, and you can do this. Please trust me - start logging today, no matter what you eat, how much you eat. Just log it. That's your start. The rest will fall into place.
  • 7nickels
    7nickels Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement! I have never done Yoga or Pilates, great ideas! I had PT on my knee and with your post, reminded me of doing those exercises! Thanks!
  • 7nickels
    7nickels Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    POO!!!!
    I just wrote very lengthy reply in gratitude for encouragement and some funky thing happened to delete it!! I will write later, but meantime -- THANK YOU ALL!! LOVE this encouragement!! AND...please friend me! Not sure how to do that yet! though I have been a member since '11, this is really the first I have gone into community!!

Prayerfully, God will provide another oppportunity for me to reply later!!!

THANK YOU! :)
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm 44 and in the same boat. I want/need to lose over 120 lbs and I started here. When I first got on and logged my cals, I was amazed at how much I was eating. And how many calories were in the simplest of things. Logging accurately REALLY helps you see what you are eating. Eating fresh foods and lean meats is a great start. Changing some of your bad habits slowly helps too. Like, I quit soda MANY years ago, I eat sweets very occasionally. I had to give up chips (my weakness) But I dd these things in stages because feeling deprived is a recipe for disaster. I also learned to make some of our favorite meals a more healthy way.
    And yes, you can get moving even with your bad knee! Walk when you can. Don't worry about distance. But each time you go...go a little farther than before. Your kids will LOVE to help you with this one.
    Please feel free to add me as a friend-fair warning though I'm in a plateau right now and trying to push through it, but I would love another mfp friend!
    I wish you success and happiness!