I need advice from runners!

Options
I have been training for my first 5K for the last 2 months. I am up to running 4 miles 4 days a week. (walk 1 mile, run 3) actually I jog not run! :grumble: I have had a little problem with sore shins/calf mostly in my left leg, but nothing I cant live with. Yesterday I was stupid and did some stretching without warming up and they were pretty tight this morning so halfway into my run this morning, I had shooting pain in my shin/calf running all the way up to my hip.....so I had to stop and walk the rest of the way, limping:sad: . It is throbbing, and I have 1 1/2 weeks until my first 5k! Should I take a day or two off and try it again, or keep going just slow it down a bit?? I have been running on the road, since my 5K is on the road.....Is it better to train on the treadmill vs road?
I have come so far and I do not want an injury before this race, because I will finish it! :bigsmile:

Replies

• nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    Are you taking in enough water and potassium? I run almost every day, but I do it on a treadmill and outside. I noticed that when I don't have sufficient water I feel the leg pains.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'd give it 2-3 days off to recover and then try to get in a couple more runs before your race to see how it's feeling.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    RICE it and take 2-3 days off.

How are you shoes? How many miles are on them? And did you get fitted for them at a running store?
  • hopegage
    Options
    Make sure you are wearing the right kind of shoes for you. If you don't have a running store close by go to roadrunnersports.com and you can evaluate the type of shoe you need. If I were you, I would take a couple days of from running. Do some pilates or yoga do let yourself heal. Walk a little next time and then stretch before you run. If you are already up to 4 miles several times a week, you will do just fine during your 5k! Good Luck!!!
  • raechelandsean
    raechelandsean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would take a couple days off. Relax and enjoy yourself. Good Luck on Race Day! :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes and Yes!
    I drink 10-12 glasses of water and take a supplement (eat bananas)
    My shoes are only about 4 wks old, and they are asics running shoes (I had bought them to fit my gait)
    Guess I just started trying to push myself to far to fast! I will take a day or two off and see how I feel and get at it again!
    Thanks!
  • IRun24
    IRun24 Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like you might have shin splints. Just RICE and get in a a few easy miles on SOFT surfaces (NO roads, think grass, trials, etc.) after you've completely rested for 2-3 days.

Don't fret too much and good luck in your race!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Should I run on the treadmill or keep on the road?? or alternate them?
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    duplicate response deleted
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    absoutely take a day or two off. i'm in a rest period right now, and i hate it, but mostly from sciatic pain. if i run on the treadmill the pain comes back, outside, no problem.

rest.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Should I run on the treadmill or keep on the road?? or alternate them?

I switch between road and trail. i never do treadmill. if you want a softer run find a grassy parl or something like that.