1st rain race tomorrow-need some advice!!

Options
I'm running my first race in the rain tomorrow morning and am unsure of what type of outer gear, if any would be a good or bad idea. All of you runners out there, what do u wear to a race when the weather calls for a steady rain? Rain jacket, poncho, nothing extra? I tend to heat up a little extra when running and could use some advice on what to wear. What has worked for you? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    This is why we should run in the rain when training. :)

Depends on the temperature. If it going to be over 50, I wouldn't do anything differently. I'd be in shorts and a singlet. With the wet clothes, there is always going to be the added risk of chafing. I'd put the Bodyglide on liberally in the areas that you usually have a problem with as well any areas where your top might rub more when it gets wet. Whatever you do, don't wear cotton. Technical fabrics only.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I got stuck in a downpour about half way through a 10 mile run. It was one of the most pleasurable running experiences I have had. The rain kept me nice and cool and I ran at nearly a full minute per mile less than I normally can.

I did find my shirt was annoying me because it was sticking to my chest so I took it off. Not uncomfortable, I just don't like tight clothes and it made the shirt feel restrictive.

Wear sunglasses as the rain will get in your eyes if you don't like looking down.

Watch out for slick spots and puddles. Painted lines in the road are surprisingly slick when wet.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As Carson said.....it depends on the temperature.

We're expecting rain and cool temperatures for this weekend's Army Run.........I might wear a long sleeve shirt (maybe) but otherwise it's my usual running gear (I usually don't start adding any layers at all until it's getting pretty close to freezing but I'm a crazy Canuck and seem to have fairly good tolerance of the cold)>

It's far more enjoyable to be a little on the cool side than to overheat. If you do decide to wear an extra layer tomorrow make sure it's something disposable. You'll frequently see runners peeling off their top layer and ditching it during the race (the discarded garments usually get collected, washed and donated to a homeless shelters etc)