How to run with gaining as little muscle as possible?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    hi, im gonna start running about 3 miles once or twice a week, but i will be walking some of it the first few weeks until i can fully run them all. tips on doing this without gaining a lot of muscle and weight? i want to have skinny legs.. not super muscular.
    Just keep running. It ain't gonna happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    hi, im gonna start running about 3 miles once or twice a week, but i will be walking some of it the first few weeks until i can fully run them all. tips on doing this without gaining a lot of muscle and weight? i want to have skinny legs.. not super muscular.

If running gave you muscular legs, Paula Radcliffe would have legs like Chris Hoy.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Hey Tumblrgirl,

All those pics of muscular chicks running with inspirational quotes that you're seeing on tumblr... the running did not make them muscular, TRUST ME. The running helped lower their body fat to make the muscles more visible... muscles they built doing resistance training, not running.

Do not worry.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor either, but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

If you walk/jog/run, your calves/thighs will become more defined and depending on how much fat you harbor in those regions, may even shrink.

Good luck, though.

There is a theory about blood flow and fat being taken from particular parts of your body. I have heard about this.

More blood flow to particular areas will increase in energy(fat) being withdraw from there
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Pretty hard to put on muscle when in calorie deficit, and you're female, and when you're planning on running so little.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just try your hardest not to run with 1.5 x bodyweight, attached to a barbell, over your shoulders and if you do, whatever you do, don't bend down to pick anything up. If you drop your water bottle, just leave it, it's gone. If you drop your towel, it's fine, you can buy another one.

Follow these simple instructions and you'll probably just about get away with it.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Just run and control your diet according to your goals.

I have no idea where you got the idea that running will make you bulky. Cheesefries make you bulky, not exercise.

Mmmmm...cheese fries.

You mean chili cheese fries? :bigsmile: Yummy.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Since I started running I feel like I've gotten more flabby, if anything. I've lost strength compared to when my focus was on heavy lifting. But since I'm training for a half marathon, I'm not too worried. I'll just switch my focus back to lifting afterwards.

I think the reason I've been losing lean muscle mass is that I don't eat nearly enough protein. Don't be like me. You don't want to be flabby. Muscles are good.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Distance running, no ... sprints and HIT type training, will give you sprinter's legs ...

Not without a lot of specific weight training, nutrition and genetics it won't.

And that "nutrition" would likely need to include a caloric surplus.

Accidentally gaining appreciable muscle in the legs (or really anywhere) is remarkably rare and completely reversible.

All of this^^. Running will not make you gain muscle.Cardio (running) gives many fitness benefits, but building/gaining muscle is not one of them.

Strength training is how to build/gain/keep muscle.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh.......yeah. The more time I spend here, the more worried I become about the future mental health of my young daughter. Why are these always started by 18-22 year old females?

Because they are actually 14-18 year old females trying to look sick.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I have no idea where you got the idea that running will make you bulky. Cheesefries make you bulky, not exercise.

Mmmmm...cheese fries.

Dang it! Now I want Cheese Fries! And not just any cheese fries, Cheese Fries from Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options

If running gave you muscular legs, Paula Radcliffe would have legs like Chris Hoy.

radcliffe.jpg
    chris20hoy20legs1.jpg
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    They are all lying to you OP, I once ran a mile and woke up the next day with massive calves and bulging quads. Never again, never ever again.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh.......yeah. The more time I spend here, the more worried I become about the future mental health of my young daughter. Why are these always started by 18-22 year old females?

Yeah, asking reasonable questions warrants concern for mental health issues....

Not everyone knows the ins and outs of what makes you gain muscle, how fast, muscle loss, fat loss, etc. I'm sure you didn't always know. It's not a stupid question, and I don't think her age and gender has anything to do with it.

I guess I stereotyped a bit here, but this is yet another example of a young woman who doesnt understand how the body works and selectively ignores the information that is readily available (which is supported by the fact that she has not returned to this thread since her original and only post). So, yes, maybe using the phrase "mental health" may have been extreme. I guess it would have been better described as "I am worried that my daughter will choose a path of selective ignorance and emotionally unstable body image issues that appear to be very prevalant among young women"
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No one accidentally develops huge muscles. Maintain a moderate calorie deficit and your legs will stay nice and twiggy.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me why I'm a paranoid wreck raising daughters.

Please, OP, look in the mirror, tell yourself that you're beautiful, and learn to believe it. Your body craves exercise, and you will absolutely not get "bulky" or gain too much muscle from running. Again, love yourself and learn how amazing your body can be. Sports, sports, sports, and more sports.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Swimming is better.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I just... no.

Go learn more about how this really works.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    :huh: Sweet Jeebus
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Mmmmm...cheese fries.

Dang it! Now I want Cheese Fries! And not just any cheese fries, Cheese Fries from Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK.

Meh. Overrated. I've been to Eskimo Joe's many times with my ex and the cheese fries are good, but they're nothing special. They are certainly not worth heading into the cesspool that is the state of Oklahoma.