Being Obsessive = Only Way to Truely Succeed

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Health and fitness consume many of my thoughts these days, but it's not like I was thinking of ways to solve world hunger before. I mean, I was lazy and distracted and who gives a crap who the Bachelor ends up with? I'd rather be into health and fitness than what I was into before, just sayin'
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    I find that lasts for maybe three weeks. Then you develop habits and become accustomed to what you can eat, portion sizes, etc.

It would really suck to feel that way all the time. I have a family to raise.
    this. ive been here before and was very obsessive about every little thing. it got old fast. who has the time for that?
    i felt like it was all or nothing so i gave up. im back now and having to learn to balance things out. i cant obsess over food all day. and honestly thats why im fat to begin with. food is all i thought about. at some point youre going to have to let go and trust that you have learned enough to walk on your own!
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I like to say it's more of a passion than an obsession. But yes, I'm obsessed. I think about food all of the time and it's good because it helps me stay on track but in the past it has been bad because it's caused me to starve my body.

While I'm on this mission to lose weight, I'm happy to be obsessed but I do worry about the future. I'd like to think that when I reach my goal I'll be able to stop logging as much and enjoy life a bit more. I'm not depriving myself but I still feel stressed if I know I'm going to a restaurant, even if I save calories for it. I guess I'd like to be mindful of my eating, rather than obsessed with it.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said, I am not obsessed, I am driven. I have been driven for around nine months and I plan to be that way for the rest of my life. If it is obsessive, so be it. Before, I was obsessed with food in a different way. I like this better.
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find that lasts for maybe three weeks. Then you develop habits and become accustomed to what you can eat, portion sizes, etc.

It would really suck to feel that way all the time. I have a family to raise.

^ This ^ I'm stuck in the feeling obsessed and I have a family to raise. It's really not working for me right now!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this a few days ago. I totally get obsessed and I find it completely mentally and emotionally draining. The last two or three days I haven't been eating so well, I guess in part as a reaction to extreme mental strength I need to stay in control. Now I'm headed out of town for the weekend to a place where "salad" is defined as a hunk of iceberg lettuce with a gallon of thousand island dressing. Feeling bleh...

Anyway, here's my thread about it -- I got a lot of nice and encouraging replies. Maybe it'll help. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1097735-a-little-worried
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am off to a good start so far, but there is one thing I have noticed that has kept me successful so far.

I am constantly "thinking" about what I am eating and what I am going to eat every second of every day. It has become my obsession. I guess you can say this is a good thing but this is till food. I am still obsessed by food but in a good way.

Maybe we can liken this to that nervousness you feel before a big date, a big speech in front of a large group of people, or even when there is a confrontation with someone. That nervousness in many ways is adrenaline, and you can actually use it as fuel.

So my question is, has anyone else noticed that with their success comes obsession, and better yet, can you sue your obsession with food (in a bad way, how I got fat) to channel it to a "good" obsession?

I try to avoid being obsessive. I got fat by constantly thinking about food. I don't do that anymore :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would say in the beginning (perhaps the first 9-12 months), it was a very focused attention to fitness and health. But after that, it became *habit* more than obsession.

For me, I've reached a point where fitness and making healthy choices is simply how I live. Initially I was very goals driven in meeting my daily/weekly/monthly goals. Now, I don't constantly think about my next meal, what I'm going to "treat" myself with later in the week or how many hours or minutes I have left to exercise this week. However, I am very aware of what I'm eating and when I'm feeling like I need to exercise more or need more rest.

It's different. I don't think you need to be "obsessed" forever to succeed. At some point it just becomes HOW you live and not things you're changing or trying to do. It just is. And I think this is a much healthier (and more pleasant for others around you) perspective to have than being obsessed or having a controlling relationship with food/fitness.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'll happily admit that I am totally obsessed with my nutrition and workouts, I preplan my meals, I am super picky about the foods I eat, read ingredient lables religiously. I have a workout schedule at my desk at work so I'll know what I'm doing when I get home. I was the same way when I got myself out of debt, I would read and learn anything I could about personal finance. I'm still somewhat obsessed about my finances which has kept me debt-free for 3 years so far, hoping my obsession over my nutrition and fitness will keep me fit for the rest of my life.
  • AMKelleyRN
    AMKelleyRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that success comes from "obsession" and maybe a better term to use would be "dedication." It is easy to become totally enveloped in your progress, when you are seeing the weight come off and your body changing, but it is more difficult for those who arent as quick to see the weight come off. The key is persistence. Don't let yourself burn out.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I definitely became obsessed. Probably, in the beginning, extremely obsessed. I was a woman with a mission. As time has gone by and I keep learning more the obsession has lessened and I see myself as extremely dedicated now and not so much obsessed anymore. I am learning balance and forgiveness for myself. :-)
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i am obsessed. i have to be.

i am obsessed because even if i was not thinking about food from a healthy standpoint, i would be still be thinking about food.

i am an addict. food was always on a mind much like heroin clouds the mind of a junkie. food took control for years, gave me a place to escape, a place to hide and ultimately a place to destruct.

so i think about it all the time, but now i think about food with laser focus in terms of intake, output, energy and nourishment.

so until my mind has won all rights to my thought process, i will be remain obsessed, vigilant and acutely aware that while addiction lurks quiet inside of me, my will is much louder, incredibly stronger and currently dominating the *kitten* out of this battle.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I think when you first start it is easy to obsess but it helps it become a habit that you become more accustomed to and eventually you will relax a little.

I've really got to put my head down now and start obsessing a little more to lose these last few pounds of mine!!
  • mmorfino
    mmorfino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am totally obsessed with food intake and record keeping. I hear ya.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed but I prefer to call it 'focused'. What I have found, after doing this for years and years, the periods where I have tunnel vision are my most successful. When I let other matters start getting in the way, or if I ease up, I stop making gains with my fitness and start making gains in my weight.

I have a hard time balancing, I'm really an all in or don't bother kind of girl. I choose to put a more positive spin on it. I don't obsess. I am focused. :flowerforyou:
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am logging for myself and two others in my household, all on different calorie amounts with various goals to achieve. To get through the weekdays without feeling exhausted, immediately after supper, my hubby cleans up and I log everything but supper (and sometimes I log supper) for the next day for the three of us. I ask what they want for breakfast and lunch, confirm the amount of snack calories, and write it all down ensuring that there are a good amount of supper calories left for the next day. They track their own snack calories - I just tell them the amount of snack calories they have. This takes about 20 mins for 3 people (to make sure they are having variety, and are part of the process, and to educate them on making healthy choices). Then, I take a look at the log, make sure it is balanced and nutricious and then get everything ready that I can for the next day (veggies, fruit, lunchess, etc.). In the morning, I prepare any of the lunch items that we prefer made the day of rather than the day before (such as wraps). Oh - and I paper and pen log. It works so much better for me.

My husband is just starting his journey to healthy and he is also overcoming major food aversions and breaking bad habits, so I will be doing this for him for the next month or so and then turning it over to him more. However I am the cook in the house, so will liklely always be involved. Honestly, being a busy mom doing it all at once is the only way I maintain my sanity. Also, I don't feel like I am obssessing - its just a once a day routine, no different from taking a shower or going to the gym. Hope this helps.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i agree.. to a degree......
    obsessed is a very powerful word/.
  • Jleonra
    Options
    I can relate, although sometimes I overdo it and get myself into uncomfortable situations, like refusing a slice of a colleague's birthday cake, I should be more flexible in those kind of situations.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can relate, although sometimes I overdo it and get myself into uncomfortable situations, like refusing a slice of a colleague's birthday cake, I should be more flexible in those kind of situations.

Actually - in some workplaces that are food obsessed (and have a birthcake all the time), the work treats are what can get you off track. I am so lucky that I work in a crazy health nut environment (which is not the norm for the field of work I am in.

I say no to cake - I don't need to eat a piece of supermarket slab cake to show I care for a person and am happy its there birthday. There are some cakes that I cannot resist though :)
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. I constanty measured out servings,rounded up if i wasn't sure about tbe products calories... exhausting but paid off. skipped extra's (no mayo or cheese on sandwiches,no sugar in my tea... that sorta thing. excessive but it works... the list could go on and on. Nowadays its easier and i do a lot of estimating ...
This discussion has been closed.