8 weeks of low carbs... A HUGE success!!

Options

Replies

• Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I
  • nicole2198
    Options
    Congrats!
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know what low carb can do, and you are the perfect example of it! Awesome...thanks so much for sharing. I was considered pre-diabetic in Feb. Hoping my next visit will be a similar experience! WTG!!
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well happy for you. :) Make sure you keep it up!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a dangerous fad. See this critique by the AMA:

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins/75/American_Medical_Association.htm

By switching to a plant-based diet, I was able to lose 40 lbs in the first 60 days. I have lost 89 in 5 months. I haven't even been consistently disciplined as far as what I eat and logging calories are concerned, other than consuming only plant-based foods with the intent of eating healthfully and avoiding junk food. I eat 200-300 grams of carbohydrates per day. I'd like to see the low carber's explanation of that.

Um, low carb DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MEAN ATKINS! I'm doing keto. Low carb, high fat, moderate protein. My months long plateau broke in July. I went from 165 to where I'm at now, which is 149.8.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    No,you are wasting your time. Nobody wants to be converted.

You're out there giving people health advice as someone who is highly obese and has type 2 diabetes, a deadly disease that is caused by dietary choices.

Here my friend, is where you've jumped the shark. :huh: I suppose you've never heard of LADA, MODY, MODY 1,2,3, T1.5D etc? (deliberately did not include T1, aka juvenile Diabetes, as this is the inability to produce insulin therefor not included in this context)

T2D is not CAUSED by dietary choices. It's exacerbated by the VERY dietary choices you advocate. It comes to be through genetics, environmental factors or a combination of the 2 or more not as yet well understood factors.

bloodsugar101.com (click on the tab 'YOU DID NOT EAT YOUR WAY TO DIABETES')

quoted from the site:

"Why Obesity Doesn't Cause Diabetes: The Genetic Basis of Diabetes

While people who have diabetes are often heavy, one out of five people diagnosed with diabetes are thin or normal weight. And though heavy people with diabetes are, indeed, likely to be insulin resistant, the majority of people who are overweight will never develop diabetes. In fact, they will not develop diabetes though they are likely to be just as insulin resistant as those who do--or even more so.

The message that diabetes researchers in academic laboratories are coming up with about what really causes diabetes is quite different from what you read in the media. What they are finding is that to get Type 2 Diabetes you need to have some combination of a variety of already-identified genetic flaws which produce the syndrome that we call Type 2 Diabetes. This means that unless you have inherited abnormal genes or had your genes damaged by exposure to pesticides, plastics and other environmental toxins known to cause genetic damage, you can eat until you drop and never develop diabetes."

I suggest you go to the site listed above & read up a bit :indifferent:
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options

You're out there giving people health advice as someone who is highly obese and has type 2 diabetes, a deadly disease that is caused by dietary choices.

Here my friend, is where you've jumped the shark. :huh: I suppose you've never heard of LADA, MODY, MODY 1,2,3, T1.5D etc? (deliberately did not include T1, aka juvenile Diabetes, as this is the inability to produce insulin therefor not included in this context)

T2D is not CAUSED by dietary choices. It's exacerbated by the VERY dietary choices you advocate. It comes to be through genetics, environmental factors or a combination of the 2 or more not as yet well understood factors.

quoted from the site:

While people who have diabetes are often heavy, one out of five people diagnosed with diabetes are thin or normal weight. And though heavy people with diabetes are, indeed, likely to be insulin resistant, the majority of people who are overweight will never develop diabetes. In fact, they will not develop diabetes though they are likely to be just as insulin resistant as those who do--or even more so.

The message that diabetes researchers in academic laboratories are coming up with about what really causes diabetes is quite different from what you read in the media. What they are finding is that to get Type 2 Diabetes you need to have some combination of a variety of already-identified genetic flaws which produce the syndrome that we call Type 2 Diabetes. This means that unless you have inherited abnormal genes or had your genes damaged by exposure to pesticides, plastics and other environmental toxins known to cause genetic damage, you can eat until you drop and never develop diabetes."

I suggest you go to the site listed above & read up a bit :indifferent:

So you just told me that four out of five people that get type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese, and that I am somehow wrong in my original statement that type 2 diabetes is caused by dietary choices.

There may be other risk factors, sure, and not all overweight people get diabetes, but by your own figures a pretty overwhelming percentage of people who get diabetes are overweight. I'm pretty sure the correlation is lower than that for heart attacks, for example.

What's more, I called out dietary choices in my post, not a specific weight or body size, so I really don't know what you are trying to say. That there are genetic risk factors? Sure. There are genetic factors in heart disease, or how tall you are, or any number of other things.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a dangerous fad. See this critique by the AMA:

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins/75/American_Medical_Association.htm

By switching to a plant-based diet, I was able to lose 40 lbs in the first 60 days. I have lost 89 in 5 months. I haven't even been consistently disciplined as far as what I eat and logging calories are concerned, other than consuming only plant-based foods with the intent of eating healthfully and avoiding junk food. I eat 200-300 grams of carbohydrates per day. I'd like to see the low carber's explanation of that.

Um, low carb DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MEAN ATKINS! I'm doing keto. Low carb, high fat, moderate protein. My months long plateau broke in July. I went from 165 to where I'm at now, which is 149.8.

I'm on a cyclic ketogenic diet. One of the best diet decisions I've made so far.

I started with standard macros doing IIFYM. I thought "hey, I can eat whatever I want! I won't feel deprived!"

It turns out:

1) It takes a heck of a lot more willpower for me to eat only a little of something I love (CARBS!) than none at all.
    And
    2)I did feel deprived. Sure, that kids meal at Whataburger was delish, but I'm an adult and I wanted more. Even if it filled me up, I'd just be hungry and cranky and want more calorie dense food in two hours...but I'd only have enough room in my diet for carrot sticks. Even more cranky.

Now I'm in the habit of just saying "no" to my trigger foods. I can eat them on my carb-up days, but by then my appetite is so small and my cravings are so diminished that I usually only WANT a small portion, if any at all.

And I've busted through my plateau.

Works for me.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP! I am pre-diabetic and have been since I went through puberty due to a hormonal imbalance. I have always been active and in shape and never very overweight though I could never look like I should have looked based on my diet and exercise habits! I am trying to lose that extra weight once and for all by switching to a low carb lifestyle. It is the only thing that is working. I have only lost about 8 lbs but I only have about 30 to lose so I expect it to be slower. I love it!

To ewrob:

Here my friend, is where you've jumped the shark. huh I suppose you've never heard of LADA, MODY, MODY 1,2,3, T1.5D etc? (deliberately did not include T1, aka juvenile Diabetes, as this is the inability to produce insulin therefor not included in this context)

quoted from the site:

I suggest you go to the site listed above & read up a bit indifferent
    So you just told me that four out of five people that get type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese, and that I am somehow wrong in my original statement that type 2 diabetes is caused by dietary choices.

There may be other risk factors, sure, and not all overweight people get diabetes, but by your own figures a pretty overwhelming percentage of people who get diabetes are overweight. I'm pretty sure the correlation is lower than that for heart attacks, for example.

What's more, I called out dietary choices in my post, not a specific weight or body size, so I really don't know what you are trying to say. That there are genetic risk factors? Sure. There are genetic factors in heart disease, or how tall you are, or any number of other things.

Diabetes in many cases causes weight gain and in can be a sign of this disease. For me that is what happened. I am pre-diabetic so not in the highest range yet but I am lucky. I am also not obese. I was a size 8 when I was first diagnosed with a body fat % around 20%, perfectly healthy for a girl going through puberty. Over the years I stayed around there simply b/c I was working out HARD. As I had to slow down my working out I also slowed down my calorie intake and according to your theory I should have stayed the same. I was eating a "healthy diet" of low fat, only whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies. I gained 60 lbs in 6 years. You can call me a liar, you can say I didn't track my calories, whatever I don't care. Because I know that I did my absolute best! I was running 4 days a week, I was tracking everything, I was walking to classes instead of taking the bus, I worked in a construction lab meaning I was moving and lifting 40+lb objects regularly and I still gained weight.

So you sir can kiss my butt! I have been there and done that and it doesn't work for me (or many other diabetic/pre-diabetic/normal people)! I am glad that it does work FOR YOU. But keep you nose out of other people's success thread!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options

So you sir can kiss my butt! I have been there and done that and it doesn't work for me (or many other diabetic/pre-diabetic/normal people)! I am glad that it does work FOR YOU. But keep you nose out of other people's success thread!

First of all, you're talking like a 2nd grader and only demeaning yourself as a result.

You also never specified whether you are having issues with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. But either way, your one verbal example doesn't mean that type 2 diabetes isn't a preventable disease in the vast majority of cases. Your case may be different. Some people are also gluten intolerant and need to follow a different lifestyle for that reason. It doesn't mean that gluten is bad or should be avoided for everyone else.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I call shenanigans :laugh:

TrollDump-thumb-500x285.gif
  • hookilau
    Options
    h484B3B32
  • hookilau
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7T9yEFhAFGefiLVLvVkqvkOqHBa3MP0eCpQyzuVhPEldpjYLKdpXugMrc
  • hookilau
    Options
    uVrOZiC.gif
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    congrats to the OP fantastic job, I had a doctor actually put me on a low carb low cal diet and lost 30 lbs in 3 months, felt great but felt I could go back to my old way of eating. I did and my diabetes came back so I saw an Endocrine and at first he advocated a high carb diet for diabetics to which I had already lost 30 doing low carb and didn't agree,as I knew all too well how the carbs affected my glucose and weight. Well years later he actually is now telling his patients to eat a low carb diet and that there is no proof it harms a body as long as the fats you pick are healthy fats. He explained for type 2 diabetics, it is the diabetic meds that will harm your eyes and kidneys over time and yes letting it stay uncontrolled causes extreme damage as well. I try to keep my carbs at 30 grams daily total, its not always perfect, I allow myself an occasional carb if I really want it, but I know for me I feel healthier, more energy and it takes less medication to control my diabetes , which less medication has to be better for you.
  • Camille523
    Options
    Need help with low carb menu. are you able to share your food log? thank you
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Need help with low carb menu. are you able to share your food log? thank you

My diary is open :)
  • frostytots
    frostytots Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations to the OP! Incredible results!

I also wanted to make a small point to the person who is advocating a 'plant based diet' (which I assume declares animal fats to be the reason for today's obesity epidemic). Tell it to the Inuit. http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox
  • georgesanchez7737
    Options
    keep it up! I was diagnosed with type 2, in 6 months I have lost 37 lbs. the first 25 with green smoothies, bacon and eggs, no grains and as RAW as possible. that is the way my body likes it!

I was not watching calories at all! then I started MFP and in 4 weeks I have lost another 12 lbs!

I continue to eat as KETO as possible, 5% carbs, but it is difficult, I average 12%.

I ws at 250 BG on day 1, 2 weeks later I was below 100. I check every morning and I am averaging 83 bg fasting. I changed doctors because the old one did not tell me on my physical lab results time that I had type 2. I went in for constant thirst and urination and then he measured me and said "you are a type 2" and "you have been for the past 6 months" and "sorry we did not tell you, you fell thru the cracks".

3 months later the new doctor did blood work and I was at 6.5 A1c and 180 total cholesterol (240 on physical). I blame my diet rich on grains (corn and flour), fried foods and processed foods.

I now understand the importance of counting calories for weight loss, and eating the right foods (clean) for health and energy.

stay at it and you will succeed, I have my next blood work in a month and expect to be below the 6 A1c and 20 lbs lighter than my last doctor visit. have come down from 42" waist to 34" jeans and xl to M shirts!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!