One pound? Really?!? Thats it?!?

Options
OK So I am venting a little bit. :grumble: I stayed under 1500 cals and exercied everyday since I have been here.... And all Ive lost is one pound!! I know I should be happy, but it seems like so much work and effort for 1 pound. When I would weigh myself everyday my weight would change a pound or so one way or the other. So to only lose one pound when I am trying, is a little disheartening :frown: I know all the stuff I should tell myself such as, I am prob retaining water, or drink more water (even though I had my 8 glasses everyday), stick with it maybe next week will be better. I know these things- but that is not how I feel. Yes I will stick with it, I am just a little ticked off right now! :angry:
I promise to be in a better mood next time, I just am having a moment.

Replies

• Sikketh
    Sikketh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Losing one's better than gaining one. :)
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem. Maybe watch your carbs and fat? I started just watching the carbs that I ate, and it helped alot. And I have kept it off!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Losing one's the healthy way anyway. You want the weight to stay off, right?
    I have weeks where I lose one pound and other weeks where I lose three, by doing the exact same thing.

Don't stress yourself.
  • CherryJellybean
    CherryJellybean Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I read this poem and thought id share with you!...

I know how you feel but look at it like this....

One Pound of Fat

Hello! Do you know me? If you don't, you should.
    I am ONE POUND OF FAT, and I am the happiest pound of FAT that you would ever want to meet!

Want to know why? It's because no one ever wants to lose me! After all, I am only ONE POUND OF FAT. Just ONE POUND. Everyone wants to lose 3 or 5 or 15 pounds, but never ONLY one.

So, I just stick around and happily keep you. Then I am free to add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice...

That is, until I have grown to 10, 20 or even 30 pounds in weight...

YES... it is fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT... left to do just as I please.

So, when you weigh in, go ahead... just keep on saying, "Oh I only lost one pound." (As if that is so terrible.) For you see, if you do this, you will encourage others to hang around me because they will think that I am not worth losing.

And I LOVE being around you... your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips, and every other part of you. HAPPY DAYS! After all, I am ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

---author unknown---
  • SonyaVelonis
    Options
    What type of food is your 1500 calories coming from? It does make a difference, a huge difference! Also, what is your exercise routine?
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    Please don't be disheartened! Take a look at this pic >>>> http://www.mosesong.com/blog_images/06_12_04_fat3.jpg

That is 1 lb of fat!!!!
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your encouraging words- I truely appreciate it!! :bigsmile:
  • hrgarry
    hrgarry Posts: 10
    Options
    hang in there... it is best to average your losses over a 4 week period.

don't get discouraged...and as others have said, watch your carbs... limiting carbs can help you eliminate water weight.

HTH.
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    I feel the same way. The pounds come off so slowly. I am sure you know this but a better way to keep track of the changes your body makes is to measure. I have lost about three pounds in the past three months but have lost 2 inches from my arms and thighs and one inch in my waist. I feel so much better about myself too.
    It is so hard to ignore the scale but I think it just takes time before your body is willing to part with the pounds.
    Also, remember to change things up. Don't do the same things for cardio every time. Eat past your calories one day and under the next.
    Just imagine the body that you will have if you can stick with it and take out frustration while in the gym.

Good luck!
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love the poem that CherryJellyBean put on here.....very cute and so true!!!! Don't be discouraged with a 1 lb weight loss....the fact that you lost should be celebrated no matter how big or small you consider it to be. Anything is better than gaining. Think of all the other chages you have made to better your health and be happy knowing that you are on the road to good health and the lbs will continue to fall off....good luck!
  • nowic
    Options
    What type of food is your 1500 calories coming from? It does make a difference, a huge difference! Also, what is your exercise routine?

It has been a mix of foods, I am at a low budget so it has been more about portion control than anything else. But I guess I thought going form a 2500/3000 call a day diet to 1500... I would lose more then 1 pound. I guess it just seemed like alot of change for not much result.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You joined in October - it's the 6th....what were you expecting?
    The weight to magically disappear?
    You should be losing 1-2 a week depending on what you have your goals set at.
    Keep in mind that most people over estimate their exercise calories burn and under estimate their portion size.
    Just sayin.
    Gotta keep pushing on.:flowerforyou:
    Steph
  • dollymac74
    dollymac74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? When I first started, which was about 3-4 weeks ago, the first week my weight did not budge at all. I was so frustrated, exactly like you. I don't get to exercise every day but I have stayed under calories every day but one, and I was really close. Just give it time, stick with it and you will see :) Make sure you are recording absoloutly everything and I also got an inexpensive kitchen scale to weigh my portions, that makes a big difference in tracking your calories. Good luck!
  • nowic
    Options
    Keep in mind that most people over estimate their exercise calories burn and under estimate their portion size.
    Just sayin.
    Steph

I understand what you are saying- Usually people lose a little more the first week, because it is such a change and then the 2nd week it goes to 1-2 pounds a week. Esp. when I have soooooo much to lose. I was hoping for 3lbs- that didnt seem unreasonable. I have measured all my food. So I thought I was good- but yes I will keep pushing! thanks!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

It has been a mix of foods, I am at a low budget so it has been more about portion control than anything else. But I guess I thought going form a 2500/3000 call a day diet to 1500... I would lose more then 1 pound. I guess it just seemed like alot of change for not much result.

Okay first of all; 1 lb in 6 days is AWESOME work. So congratulations on that accomplishment.

Secondly; Remember you didn't put this weight on in 6 days, it's not coming off in 6 days. This is a long and hard process which requires motivation and dedication. Lots of positive thinking AND patience.

Also, are you exercising at all? Like anything? If you are, and you are leaving calories on the table that may be why you are not dropping. Give it a chance THIS DOES WORK. I joined on September 1 and I have dropped 13.8 lbs by doing what this site says to do and being HONEST about my food choices. You just have to be patient.

I will say again 6 days 1 lb is awesome!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It hasn't even been a week, and from looking at your diary, you may not be eating ENOUGH, and you are also eating McDonald's (full of sodium and other bad stuff). It will take time and a lot of change for weight to come off, it isn't going to happen in 6 days. Try cleaning up what you are eating a little and really just stick it out, eat more, and eat better.
    Just sayin.
    Steph

I understand what you are saying- Usually people lose a little more the first week, because it is such a change and then the 2nd week it goes to 1-2 pounds a week. Esp. when I have soooooo much to lose. I was hoping for 3lbs- that didnt seem unreasonable. I have measured all my food. So I thought I was good- but yes I will keep pushing! thanks!
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    Please don't be disheartened! Take a look at this pic >>>> http://www.mosesong.com/blog_images/06_12_04_fat3.jpg

That is 1 lb of fat!!!!

i just took a look of that picture, its horrible lol
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that everyone is different. Eveyone is going to lose/gain at a different pace. Don't base you off of anyone else.

You'll find what works for you.

Feel free to check out my food diary if you want some healthy food ideas. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
  • nowic
    Options
    Mollydolly10::Eat More?? This site said I should be eating (if I want to lose 2 lbs a week) 1400- I actually bumped it up to 1500. I thought that seemed more doable for long term. How much should I be eating?? Please help! :smile: Yes , I know McDonalds is a bad choice - it is just quick, easy and cheap- but still wrong :blushing:

KarenBorter:: Yes I have been exercising- it has been a variety of things from volleyball to walking on a tredmill for at least 30 min. What do you mean about not leaving any cals on the table?
  • nowic
    Options
    Just keep in mind that everyone is different. Eveyone is going to lose/gain at a different pace. Don't base you off of anyone else.

You'll find what works for you.

Feel free to check out my food diary if you want some healthy food ideas. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

thanks- I will :happy: