How to stop binge eating?

Options
Hi, i'm 18 and for the past month I have constantly binged pretty much every day and I hate myself for it. In June I decided to lose some weight, at first all I did was cut out "junk" food, and then I started to walk around instead of getting the bus or car. I lost quite a bit of weight by doing this, but i didn't think it was fast enough, so i started cutting calories even more until I was eating around 800-1200 calories a day. I also joined the gym and did excessive workouts. Then suddenly, a month ago I started to binge. At first, whenever i binged, i usually went to the gym straight after or I would puke it all out. I came bulimic and addicted to the binge/purge cycle. I've now stopped purging, but I still continue to binge, and I have since then gained a lot of weight than before. I used to weigh 11 stones, then 8 and a half stones, and I don't know how much I weigh now because im too scared to go back on the weights to measure myself, but from the amount I've been binging on (3000+ calories a day) I would say I'm probably near enough 10 stones now... I want to break this binging habit and become healthy again. But I don't know what to do anymore. I went to the doctors a week ago who said I have bulimia, and she wrote a note saying that I needed to visit the hospital for some blood tests, however, when I finally told my mum about this, she refused that I was to see the doctors ever again, and so I didn't go to the blood test or the doctors since. My mum doesn't realise how bad my binging really is, I've told her time and time again to stop buying biscuits/crisps and other stuff I binge on, but she doesn't think that's a problem. She thinks my problem is that i'm not eating proper meals, so shes pretty much feeding me sugary cereals for breakfast, fried stuff for lunch and processed meals for dinner. I can't cope anymore, I'm constantly feeling ill and stressed, my stomach is always hurting and this weight gain is making me even more disgusted in myself. I cant concentrate anymore and im falling behind in college. I need help.

If it helps, I used to be on a high protein/moderate fat and low carb diet before which is one of the main reasons why I lost weight, but my mum refuses to buy all that stuff now because apparently its made me ill... now im left with all the junk that she buys like frozen pizza, biscuits and crisps.. I know I need to cut out the carbs, but how can I when that all my house is full off..

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Although I don't know much about you, I would say that you set yourself up for binging because you were not eating nearly enough. I suggest you increase your daily calorie intake to a rational number and stop the "excessive" exercising. Moderate eating and moderate exercising are the keys. Good luck!
  • The low carb approach is simply a way of restricting calories. Lower carb will work better for some, such as those with lower insulin sensitivity or those who are simply less active.

If it is a psychological disorder, I really cannot comment I'm afraid. The scope is way beyond me.

But binging on food, in my experience is a form of emotional eating. Is anything stressing you out? Are you lacking motivation? Are you bored? Are you missing someone etc? High calorie foods are hyper palatable and leave us with a temporary sense of satisfaction. But what happens when you take away that sudden stimulus? You are left back where you were, and the next time you binge you find yourself eating more to get the same buzz. Just as a heroin or coke addict would take more as their addiction takes it's toll.

Body composition change should be seen as a controlled process. Lose two pounds this week, gain a bit, lose a bit and so on until you are living a lifestyle that supports your current health/physique in a healthy manner i.e. no splurges on food or not eating for a day to lose some weight, or excessive exercise.

Hope this helps in some way.
  • tanana97
    Options
    Although I don't know much about you, I would say that you set yourself up for binging because you were not eating nearly enough. I suggest you increase your daily calorie intake to a rational number and stop the "excessive" exercising. Moderate eating and moderate exercising are the keys. Good luck!

Yeah, you're right, but every time i tell myself that, I somehow manage to binge even to the point where I don't want too:( I don't even know what moderation is anymore, I have such a unhealthy relationship with food, if I eat one "bad" thing, I start binging on everything else...
  • tanana97
    Options
    But binging on food, in my experience is a form of emotional eating. Is anything stressing you out? Are you lacking motivation? Are you bored? Are you missing someone etc?

Ever since I've gone to college, I've been more stressed out, lacking motivation in doing my coursework because i'm too busy thinking about food. I guess i'm also stressed about my weight gain...
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Is buying your own food an option? At some point you are going to have to figure out self control, so maybe you could start buying yourself some healthy alternatives and try to ignore the other stuff in the house.
  • tanana97
    Options
    Is buying your own food an option? At some point you are going to have to figure out self control, so maybe you could start buying yourself some healthy alternatives and try to ignore the other stuff in the house.

Unfortunately no, I used to buy my own food, and my parents didn't like what I ate which literally consisted of lean protein, meat, yogurt, peanut butter, nuts, wholegrain bread, vegetables, berries and all that which was how I lost the weight and stayed full, and they wont let me buy those foods now because they claim it made me ill even though i preferred that diet compared to what i'm eating now..
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Honey, I'm sorry you've been struggling with this.

You're 18 years old - an adult and don't need anyone's permission to go to the doctor. I don't know... it seems odd. I'm really concerned that your mum is not supporting you with this... is she trying to pretend everything's OK and nothing's wrong? If so then she is kidding herself.

You're not here to play along with her version of reality where everything is not only pucker but tickety-boo with glitter on it. Your mother does NOT know better than the doctor - trust the doctor on medical matters. Not her. She's qualified to be a mum and that's it. And no one fails the entrance exam for THAT. It's your health and that is the top priority - you have to get help with this.

Your parents didn't like what you ate (why are they so controlling?) but they can't make you eat what they want. They just can't. They have to learn to accept that it's your choice to make. No doubt they are acting out of concern and their love for you and just doing what they think is best. But they can't help you with this whereas the doctor can. It might be an idea to take your mum with you to the doctor so she can understand this better? Either way, please go.

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you need professional advice on this hon. This board is made up of personal opinions of what works for them. It don't make it true , it don't make it fact.

I would see a doctor on this one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    You don't have a plan of action. You're kinda winging it. A solid based plan that helps you to legitimately achieve your expectations would help. See a registered dietitian then a trainer on exercise to put together a specific plan.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You should definitely see a doctor who can help you with your specific issues. The binge/purge cycle can be very hard to break.

You are 18. Do you really need your mom's permission to see a doctor? (No sarcasm intended.)
  • tanana97
    Options
    Honey, I'm sorry you've been struggling with this.

You're 18 years old - an adult and don't need anyone's permission to go to the doctor. I don't know... it seems odd. I'm really concerned that your mum is not supporting you with this... is she trying to pretend everything's OK and nothing's wrong? If so then she is kidding herself.

You're not here to play along with her version of reality where everything is not only pucker but tickety-boo with glitter on it. Your mother does NOT know better than the doctor - trust the doctor on medical matters. Not her. She's qualified to be a mum and that's it. And no one fails the entrance exam for THAT. It's your health and that is the top priority - you have to get help with this.

Your parents didn't like what you ate (why are they so controlling?) but they can't make you eat what they want. They just can't. They have to learn to accept that it's your choice to make. No doubt they are acting out of concern and their love for you and just doing what they think is best. But they can't help you with this whereas the doctor can. It might be an idea to take your mum with you to the doctor so she can understand this better? Either way, please go.

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

I've said to my mum time and time again that I should be able to make my own decisions now, but she doesn't listen:( I honesty think I need professional help because I binge 4000+ calories every single day at least.. But she won't let me see the doctor, I went privately once to the doctors, without notifying my mum and she went mad... I don't know what to do anymore, I feel like this eating disorder is taking over my life, and my parents aren't supporting, in fact yesterday they even said I'll die because I'm not eating enough... I repeat, eating enough?! seriously, the only problem I can think of here is that they don't know how bad my binges are..
  • tanana97
    Options
    You don't have a plan of action. You're kinda winging it. A solid based plan that helps you to legitimately achieve your expectations would help. See a registered dietitian then a trainer on exercise to put together a specific plan.

I completely agree with this, but I can't really afford to see a dietitian or trainer..
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Move out. I really do know that is easier said than done, but you're 18 and obviously have serious health issues that your parents refuse to come to terms with. No one can prevent you from seeing a doctor, buying and eating proper food, and getting the treatment you so badly need. If you cannot handle doing these while living with your parents because they get angry, then don't live with your parents.

Also, I don't know where you live, but I would check and see if there are therapists and dieticians that work on a sliding income payment scale. Your doctor should be able to provide you with this information. This is a very real problem, and you need help.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Chew your food before gulping it. Yep it works. For example, you have your dinner by 8pm, and then you finish your dinner by 8:10 or by 8:20pm. What I meant is, chew your food at least 40-50 times. Try it. It'll sure work. You have to learn how to savor and appreciate the food. You can do it!