Organic or not?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i try to buy organic as much as my budget will allow, i do feel its better and i find it tastes a whole lot nicer

Sunk costs
  • Acg67
    Options
    Come on, it isn't that expensive, and I drive a Chevy SUV, not a Prius... If seeking high quality food = smugness, color me smug.

Organic is no more high quality than conventional, so I guess it's not smugness but ignorance
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I find organic products too expensive and the benefits are not scientifically documented.

I bought a gallon of "organic" milk once, it tasted like regular milk to me but cost twice as much.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I get most of our food (meat, vegetables, fruit and eggs) from the farmers market, so it's mostly organic, hormone-free, pesticide-free, etc. I started doing this to support the local farms, but appreciate keeping my kids away from the hormones and pesticides. We also drink organic milk.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The Penn & Teller Bull**t episode on organic foods was great. My favorite was the test they did where they chopped a non-organic fruit in half, told people one half was organic, the other wasn't, and asked them to pick which was best. Most of the people surveyed said the organic half (I say again, both halves were from the same fruit) tasted and looked better. Don't believe the hype.

This ^

If you want to reduce the pollution that produced from your food then buy from the physically closest farm. There is a sucker born every minute and they are all buying organic
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but just because something comes from a "farmer's market" doesn't mean it wasn't grown with pesticides.

I get most of our food (meat, vegetables, fruit and eggs) from the farmers market, so it's mostly organic, hormone-free, pesticide-free, etc. I started doing this to support the local farms, but appreciate keeping my kids away from the hormones and pesticides. We also drink organic milk.
  • bananasyousay
    Options
    Most of the time I eat organic
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat organic as much as possible, but not as much as I'd like. I don't like consuming the residue of industrial farming if I can help it.

Same here. I try to pay special attention to the dirty dozen and dont worry so much about the items on the clean 15.

Good thing organic farming doesn't use pesticides, oh wait a sec...

I dont think you bothered to look where i`m located. Quebec (and Canada in general) have very different farming and food regulations from the US. I grew up in a farming community, and here there are very specific regulations as to what is considered organic and can carry that label. Its not a perfec system by any means, but is controlled more so than our American neighbours.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I eat organic as much as possible, but not as much as I'd like. I don't like consuming the residue of industrial farming if I can help it.

Same here. I try to pay special attention to the dirty dozen and dont worry so much about the items on the clean 15.

I dont think you bothered to look where i`m located. Quebec (and Canada in general) have very different farming and food regulations from the US. I grew up in a farming community, and here there are very specific regulations as to what is considered organic and can carry that label. Its not a perfec system by any means, but is controlled more so than our American neighbours.

my smug detector is pinging.
  • Acg67
    Options

I don't think you bothered to do any actual research

"7.1.14.6 The use of therapeutic applications of non-synthetic or synthetic substances to control pests, parasites and diseases is permitted, provided that such substances are in accordance with CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems – Permitted Substances Lists."

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ongc-cgsb/programme-program/normes-standards/internet/bio-org/principes-principles-eng.html

Under pest management

"the use of pesticides included in CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems - Permitted Substances Lists."
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I focus more on buying local, over buying something that's labeled organic at the grocery store. This way I can talk to the growers and find out how the item is grown/raised. There's a lot of small farms/hobby farmers that cannot afford to go through the organic labeling process, but have practices that I agree with. And I'm ok with a bit of preventative methods for produce-I have a relative who uses nothing on his garden and his corn is never edible because of the bug infestation in them :sick: He's ok with cutting off the 'bad' parts, but I'm not going to eat half an ear of corn that has had the other half devoured by these nasty worm like bugs. All natural is not always a good thing lol.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but just because something comes from a "farmer's market" doesn't mean it wasn't grown with pesticides.

Organic or conventional they are all able to use pesticides (in the USA your geopolitical designation may vary). Organic pesticides/fungicides/herbicides are just that organic, one pesticide that is organic is nicotine. Since the organic pesticides have been in use for a long time they are usually less effective which means that farmers have to use more of them, on the other hand conventional farmers have a whole range of pesticides they can use to target specific issues and since the chemicals normally have been used less the pests have not been able to build up a resistance to them meaning the conventional farmer can use less and that means less residue on the produce. Also since the conventional farmer needs less pesticides they have to spray less which uses less fuel in the machinery and less exhaust emissions.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh produce, I'm not spending double or triple the amount of money because it says "organic".

Same, groceries just cost too much here. I will buy organic if it fits within my budget but unfortunately most of it does not.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    80% of the produce I eat is organic, and I buy as much pasture raised antibiotic free etc etc meat as I can. I'm fortunate I can afford to do so.

My thinking in doing this is not that it will make me live forever, but more that I am trying to reduce my risk factors wherever I can.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Not so much hung up on "organic" per se, but I do buy meat and dairy products without the added hormones.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I don't think you bothered to do any actual research

"7.1.14.6 The use of therapeutic applications of non-synthetic or synthetic substances to control pests, parasites and diseases is permitted, provided that such substances are in accordance with CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems – Permitted Substances Lists."

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ongc-cgsb/programme-program/normes-standards/internet/bio-org/principes-principles-eng.html

Under pest management

"the use of pesticides included in CAN/CGSB-32.311, Organic Production Systems - Permitted Substances Lists."

Skin-Burn-Treatment1.jpg
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The Penn & Teller Bull**t episode on organic foods was great. My favorite was the test they did where they chopped a non-organic fruit in half, told people one half was organic, the other wasn't, and asked them to pick which was best. Most of the people surveyed said the organic half (I say again, both halves were from the same fruit) tasted and looked better. Don't believe the hype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLAMRQk5I
  • jess4fun
    Options

Was thinking this, too. I bought organic and regular strawberries recently to see if the family could tell the difference. No one could. I doubt many have tried foods they claim taste better side by side without know which is which. I think they may be surprised. The brain is a funny thing. :happy:
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This has been said, but a more affordable choice than organic (although I buy organic as well) is to buy local & in-season, from farmers markets. Often the prices are less expensive than organic produce, and you can ask farmers directly about growing practices. Many are "chemical/pesticide free" growers but just can't afford to certify their farm as organic. :)