out of calories by the end of lunch time...

TLoss85
TLoss85 Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Help! I just started here two days ago. The first two days I did really well and everything just happened to work out to the calorie of what I was supposed to eat. Today I've logged breakfast and lunch and realized I only have 100 calories left. I have company coming for dinner and it should be a long night of eating and drinking. What do I do now?

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    If you have time to exercise, you can earn yourself calories that way. You can also cut calories for the next few days to compensate for today
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Ouch! Try to eat as reasonably as possible, stick to veggies if you can and drink water or diet soda tonight. It sounds like you will have to live with the bad decisions made early in the day, and start fresh tomorrow - making better food choices. It's all good... just learn from it and plan ahead next time.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    go for a walk or other exercise to get some calories back into your allowance, eat something filling, lean protein and vegetables, exceed your goal rather than starve yourself

Then chalk it up as experience, start again tomorrow and try to pre plan :smile:
  • Go for a quick 30 minute jog/run and earn some extra calories or lift some weights. Or just don't worry about it lol it'll be ok.
  • First- how many calories are you allowing yourself?
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    What did you have for breakfast and lunch that would wipe out your calories for the day? Perhaps you might want to look up the nutritional content of things before you eat them so you can plan better.

As for today, if there is no way you can stay at a deficit for the day try to just eat up to maintenance level so you don't go too overboard. Then move on tomorrow and make better choices. One off day will not ruin you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    First- how many calories are you allowing yourself?
    exactly.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    This is why pre-logging works really well.. enter what you're going to have ahead of time and stick to it as much as possible.

For today I would say you have 3 options.

1. Work out like crazy to earn extra calories.
    2. Eat small portions and don't drink a lot of alcohol (it's a HUGE calorie snatcher) and be over in calories a bit.
    3. Eat what you want and consider it a "cheat day." In the end one bad day won't ruin your progress. It never will, as long as you live and learn.

Personally I would go with option 3... eat what you want and move on. You can eat better the rest of the week to make up for it, but one bad meal won't make a difference in the long run. It took longer than one day to put on the weight right?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    You've just started - this is a learning process. If you go over one day, you go over. You won't be perfect every day. A lot of this is about planning, and planning takes practice, so next time you know it will be a 'big night' you will be able to plan a bit better.

This is coming from someone who also went way over where I wanted to be by lunch, and I've been doing this for years. The goal is to make sure that you average out to where you want to be.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Think of your calories as your checking account. Try not to kill all of them immediatley. It's like killing your paycheck the day you get paid. And open up your diary before asking questions like this. It really helps if people can see where you messed up.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    It would help to see your dairy as well?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Didn't mean to sound like an a** but I re-read it and it sounded that way. Just trying to keep it simple. Like other posters have said, pre-planning your meals would help a lot.
  • Thank you everyone!! The counter says for me to eat 1200 a day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and for lunch I had three small pieces of pizza from Homemade pizza co and a peach. I think usually I could easily get up to 1200 alone just going out to dinner and drinks with friends. I don't have time to exercise today since company comes right after work. It's ok I just wanted to get off to a good start which might continue to be tough since I have friends' weddings every other weekend it seems.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    What did you eat that was so high in calories? You can always have a big salad with maybe some grilled chicken or shrimp for your dinner...or go ahead and have whatever your guests are having, just be sure not to do it again! And yes, as the previous poster noted, exercising will counter-balance those extra calories. Good luck and have fun with the dinner party!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    It's a common stumbling block everyone hits when they first start logging. It will take you a while to be more familiar with how many calories various foods have so that you can balance out your day. It's just one of those turbulent parts everyone has to go through.

In my opinion, as long as having company over is a rare occurrence, I would say you can just eat what you want, try to keep it reasonable, log it, and then remind yourself that this isn't supposed to be RARE and not the new normal, and then pick yourself up and get back on track tomorrow. This will also help you become more familiar with the caloric content of foods you eat when company is around.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Thank you everyone!! The counter says for me to eat 1200 a day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and for lunch I had three small pieces of pizza from Homemade pizza co and a peach. I think usually I could easily get up to 1200 alone just going out to dinner and drinks with friends. I don't have time to exercise today since company comes right after work. It's ok I just wanted to get off to a good start which might continue to be tough since I have friends' weddings every other weekend it seems.

Lesson learned - Pizza is always going to be calorie killers. So, if you know you have dinner plans, plan a lighter lunch.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Thank you everyone!! The counter says for me to eat 1200 a day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and for lunch I had three small pieces of pizza from Homemade pizza co and a peach. I think usually I could easily get up to 1200 alone just going out to dinner and drinks with friends. I don't have time to exercise today since company comes right after work. It's ok I just wanted to get off to a good start which might continue to be tough since I have friends' weddings every other weekend it seems.

So you may need to update your goals on here. 1200 is most likely not going to be right for you.

Since you're new here, I post these tips all over the place. They may help.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.
  • Wow! 1200 is really low. How did you get to that number? Have you checked out any TDEE or BMR calculators? Thos would help you calculate your minimum consumption and your maximum. Usually a safe way to lose weight is TDEE-10-20% (depending on how much you need to lose.

Some handy calculators can be found at health-calc.com.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    First- how many calories are you allowing yourself?

This. Unlock your diary, make sure you don't have yourself set to lose 2 lbs a week as a starter, thats just too hard for most people.

If it's an issue of eating fast food and you don't plan on changing that, look up the calories of your favorite places and pick one or two items you can always get from there without blowing your allowance for the day.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Below are links for some really good info for beginners on how all this works. Perhaps you need to do some tweaking.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

The last one is from the EAT, TRAIN, PROGRESS group. Consider joining, they give great advice.
This discussion has been closed.