starting out and insane cravings

Sparklepoprocks
Sparklepoprocks Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Im new to this site but I actually started Primal about 2-ish weeks ago, Ive noticed Im having a big issue with the cravings for bread or just being hungry in general. I live on my own and I used to eat alot of bread because I didnt like to cook for myself and it was just easy enough to make a sandwich or toast if I was hungry. now I just feel like Im hungry all the time, like a little over an hour after I eat and in my head it says hey you want to eat bread or something wheat related because I know that always fills me up, but I know I cant. so I eat some nuts or something else instead. then I worry if Im eating too many of those when I shouldnt be. Has anyone else had anything similar happen when they first started the lifestyle? does it get better?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    So you're starting out on MFP AND starting a primal eating plan... so... I'm going to bet that in addition to learning a new way of eating you are, in fact, eating very little. Why don't you cut yourself some slack and learn a new diet plan while aiming to lose no more than 1/2 a pound weekly (or even maintaining!) until you feel comfortable with the food restrictions?
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Personally, I've chosen to add the changes slowly. I've spent a lot of the first couple of weeks mainly working on eating consistent amounts of "healthy" calories, modifying portions, and figuring out healthy meals and snacks. While I keep an eye on all the macros, I'm easing into focusing on those slowly too. I personally think that adapting a little at a time makes it easier to keep to a new lifestyle. Remember that we all have time to lose it, so better to sustain rather than drive yourself crazy with too many changes all at once.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Don't be quite so aggressive. Drastic changes are harder to maintain. People like to get impatient and try to get healthy as fast as possible and lose the weight as soon as possible, but going too hard can lead to burnout. As mrsbigmack suggested, try reducing the amount of weight you are trying to lose, at least until you get used to eating under your new plan. Don't try to do too much at once.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    why not try letting MFP do the calculations here on what you can eat. You can have bread on MFP. You might have better success eating a piece of bread and modifying your paleo diet wish.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    I'm curious, why are you doing primal? I ate carbs/wheat my entire weight loss journey, and I lost weight no problem.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    I think cuttting anything out completely is a bad idea. Carbs in and of themselves are not "bad" and I would hate to have to give up bread, pasta or fruit for that matter. You just want to aim for healthier options.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    It took me a few weeks to get used to my new eating habits when I first started. It does get easier though.

You don't need to cut out bread completely, I didn't and I've lost 50 lbs. I just switched to whole grain breads. Everything in moderation.

Good luck!
  • I knew it was going to be a big change going in and originally I only wanted to do gluten free which is basically grain free as well depends on how you look at it and who you talk too, I think the Paleo/Primal just came along for the ride since it was eliminating all processed food and its sort of similar, well so the books say. I think Ive read too many of them so the different opinions is what got me confused in the first place. Im definitely going to have a closer look at my food options, because I know Im not eating enough. thanks for the advice, Im glad it gets easier. :)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    what saved me was a product at Walmart in the deli dept. JOSEPJ'S FLAX AND OAT BRAN LAVASH BREAD. It is just a wrap and you can use it so many ways. For 1/2 of the sheet it is 50 calories and 2 carbs. I even cut them in bite size pieces, spray with some EVOO and a seasoning and then toast them on both sides for chips OR a snack for the theater. LOVE THEM--this alone has been a life saver AND Natures Own 40 calorie honey wheat bread is also good. 40 cals a slice. These were my life saver until I got thru the craving and even now--I will go get a piece of the wrap with a hot cup of tea or broth and eat it if I am not sure if I am REALLY hungry.
This discussion has been closed.