LADIES: Advice on how to deal with PMS/period hunger?

Options
Help! My appetite feels like it literally doubles during this time and always for sweets & cheese. Wondering if any of you have any tips on how to control craving and crazy appetite during this time?

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have something healthy to fill me up and then treat myself to what I'm craving after.

Chocolate is on the menu tonight :D
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Try a low cal hot chocolate - that always used to help me.
  • Krista916
    Options
    Work out a little harder and just eat it. To me, working out helps with some of the PMS anyway so you might as well work out and just give in to to the cravings.
  • ezconklin
    Options
    Since I'm doing paleo I get a lot of protein which I've found really helps. I switch over to a little more red meat and that is very satisfying. I also keep a dark chocolate bar in the freezer. I only break off a bite at a time to help with my sweets cravings.
  • missamynova
    missamynova Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mmmm that sounds real good actually
  • missamynova
    Options
    Very good advice so far! Chocolate & steak is definitely on the menu tonight after my run :)
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree about the exercise tactic. I've been on MFP for about 3 weeks and managed my last period very well by exercising harder and having a treat as suggested by other members. Came through it unscathed instead of feeling dreadful and overeating as usual.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    wine and cheese sound good right now
    oh, and add some chocolate.
    YUM!
  • 27toheaven
    Options
    I get PMS about 4 days before i start normally so the first 3 days i will try and eat healthy and will go to the gym but the day before I just eat i cant help it and its carbs and sugar i crave - i just allow. i do try to eat healthyily once period starts but don't normally make it to the gym till about day 3.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Eat what your are craving within your calorie goal :drinker:

You can try to exercise a bit more to eat more as well within that period, works for some people
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat more, as on my period I hardly want to eat at all...so I restrict more. For me, trying to reign in that ravenous hunger just makes it worse.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I always find that if I increase my carbs right before my period I do better with the cravings. I have no idea why or if it would work for anyone else, just one of those things.
  • missamynova
    Options
    I lose my appetite on my actual period too.. its the PMS and first day that get me
  • michybeans
    Options
    I know what you mean! For me I crave sweets and chocolate (my fave) when I don't normally. I do let myself have a bit. One one, but no more than 2 days, I'll have a little chocolate bar. I still pick natural and clean chocolate bars - my favourite brand is Theobroma (http://www.theobromachocolat.com/fr/accueil.aspx), not sure if you have those where you live, I'm in Canada. But if you look in the health food section of your grocery store there should be some kind of clean eating chocolate/natural chocolate or candy there.

Also I love Chapman's Dutch Chocolate Frozen Yogurt. Yeah, not clean eats, but it's damn good and satisfying, and not too calorie-heavy either. :) 1 cup is 100-something calories... And it's DELICIOUS.

So, indulge a little... just don't go overboard!
  • jenniferjeanne84
    jenniferjeanne84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Work out a little harder and just eat it. To me, working out helps with some of the PMS anyway so you might as well work out and just give in to to the cravings.

^ This. Working out reduces my cramps, then I get to eat more chocolate.