Anyone else post Chemo trying to get their lives back?

Options
I have used MFP before and had good luck but in January of this year I was diagnosed with leukemia and went through 6 months of treatment. The chemo was good for my cancer but bad for my overall health, I gained 25 pounds while in treatment. I'm starting virtually over from sedentary to trying to be active daily and watching what I eat. I'm looking for others with similar challenges looking to motivate each other. This is going to be a long slow journey back to health but I know it's so worth it.

Replies

• commodus192
    Options
    I have not had chemo; however, I wish you the best and hope your health is on the fast track to 'perfect!'
  • Dinachick
    Dinachick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have been to hell and back, I have been there with my own tx for cervical ca with spread 5 years ago, and it changes your body into a new normal that you have to learn about. You will have to be gentle with yourself as your body has been fighting over the last 6 months. It does get better and that tired feeling does go away. Chemo will shut hown the ovaries so your hormone levels will drop off. The main thing is to have a goal and start small, recognising your body will react differently than before because of the changes in hormones and biochemistry.

In my case, almost overnight I got that spare tire around the waist (this is adipose tissue that is estrogen dominant) and because I was lacking, the body was making up for it. I also had NO progesterone (no wonder I felt old before my time). I started taking bio identical hormone topical cream "Biest" and "Progesterone" and this has made a difference to the water retention and ability to lose a bit easier. I got that prescription from a naturopath and the local pharmacy makes it according to what one needs.

The other thing is to really limit wheat and sugar, as this can cause bloat. This is easier said than done. I am starting this weight loss journey and I have finally stopped blaming pregnancy weight, hormone weight and recognise it was simply not watching the calories and not exercising enough.

On a side note I learned that cancer LOVES sugar and in fact when I had the PET scan done they use radioactive labelled glucose to scan for cancer as it is fluorescent like a Christmas tree as it is attracted to it if there is any. So for all you out there, limit the sugar and the wheat (wheat turns to sugar) and eat your veggies and fruits!! Work with your body and learn about what it needs to function at its best. Generally that is being active and eating good nutritious food from home, and enjoying good company.

Best of luck on your journey and enjoy your life, you have been given a second chance.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    No chemo but surgeries for cervical cancer.Hope you get your strength back and I admire your courage!/Cindy
  • Ben1830
    Ben1830 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been through chemo and radiation when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma... Trying to make weight loss manageable, and even fun, by using this site. Like-minded people are welcome to add me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Try here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4849-cancer-survivors

I wish you good luck and I hope you encounter little trouble while you regain your health after what you've been through. :flowerforyou:
  • caroluherek
    caroluherek Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link
  • Redbone000
    Redbone000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post & congratulations on completing your treatments. :smile: I just finished chemo & radiation for cervical cancer myself. I'm in the process of trying to get some normality back into my life also.
  • bobbyunangst
    Options
    I am post chemo, post radiation and post surgery for Cervical Cancer and looking for active members to help keep me going and chat. Please message or friend me please