Quitting Sugar

Options

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    fat with sugar with salt is the problem think junk food fast food joints and they provide all three in one meal.

Sugar is bad , not in a teeny amount but when you are getting 3 or 4 tsp daily that is alot of sugar.

Also sugar withdrawal. My buddy is an ex smoker and withdrawing off sugar was the same. Left him down in the dumps to give up junk food but that changed after a couple of months . We stuck to the plan and trashed I mean trash binned the junk food.
    Won't even go down some of those middle rows in the grocery store full of the nasty sweet stuff.

We stuck with the plan, our sugar is thru fresh fruit and fresh vegetables , steamed and raw.
    We also dumped the refined flour and went to whole wheat flour.
    Yep, we dumped the bakery goods with the exception of bread, buy our bread fresh now, no shelf stuff with additivies, Got to be fresh baked whole wheat.

What you described here is my goal. I've already given up bread though. I used to try making it myself, but I'm not much of a baker, found it easier just to give it up and stick to plants and animals. Thanks for responding.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    It's not how much sugar (simple carbs) you eat (within limits). It is how fast the sugar is absorbed into your system...

Good answer.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's not how much sugar (simple carbs) you eat (within limits). It is how fast the sugar is absorbed into your system.

Processed sugars (i.e. added sugar like high fructose corn syrup) are absorbed quickly. If enough are eaten at once, your blood sugar spikes (glucose), insulin spikes, and diabetes type 2 is a possible outcome given long enough and frequent enough sugar spikes.

Naturally occurring sugars are usually (NOT honey!) encased in fiber and other harder to digest stuff. Thus, given the same consumption quantities as the processed sugar above, the naturally occurring sugar will take longer to be absorbed, probably avoiding the "spike" problem.

I do watch my non-natural sugar consumption in my diary.

At the molecular level, there is no difference between the various sugars (aka monosaccharides). High fructose corn syrup(HFCS) has different quantities of monosaccharides: glucose and fructose. Glucose from the "processed" HFCS is molecularly the same as glucose from say meat. Likewise, the fructose from HFCS is molecularly the same as fructose from say fruit.

Sugar, like oxygen, is essential for most life. Its the spike that causes problems, not that you are eating sugar.

I'll pop back into this thread over the weekend with more of my thoughts on this.

Meanwhile, I'll just say that "natural" sugars do not necessarily come with meaningful amounts of fiber, and "processed" sugars are not necessarily consumed without fiber (or other things that affect/slow absorption).

(Also, a reminder to myself to address the considerations of a diabetic vs. non-diabetics...oh, and a comparison of the effects of a sugar spike vs. a smaller spike over a longer period of time.)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, why would you quit sugar?

Why wait until one is diabetic to act? That is one of the stupidest and most common statements I see on MFP. News flash: type 2 diabetes is preventable. Been there, did it.

Yup, loads of people here are going to tell you "don't do it". I am going to tell you that it's literally saved my life. NO exaggeration.
  • jrose1982
    Options
    I don't really consider the difference between natural and refined sugars. I consider all my food with a cost/benefit approach. The cost is the calories, sugar spikes, toxins, etc. The benefits being micro nutrients, energy (and how long that energy lasts), and pure enjoyment (i.e. chocolate).

Some foods have too little benefit. Other foods have a cost that I consider too high for the benefit. Vegetables are the highest value (high benefit, low cost), soda is the lowest (high cost, low benefit). Some foods are just too expensive FOR NOW (i.e. I avoid chocolate while I'm trying to quit sugar, but I'll allow myself an occasional piece of very dark chocolate once the rest of my diet is back on track).
  • jrose1982
    Options

Why wait until one is diabetic to act? That is one of the stupidest and most common statements I see on MFP. News flash: type 2 diabetes is preventable. Been there, did it.

Yup, loads of people here are going to tell you "don't do it". I am going to tell you that it's literally saved my life. NO exaggeration.

Very well stated. THANK YOU!!!

My parents and grandparents are all diabetic; one of my sisters had gestational diabetes; another is considered pre-diabetic. I can see very clearly where my life is going if I don't make some changes now.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Having pcos and insulin resistance I know what it means to crave sugar. And I know what it means to stop eating it. In my worst wirhdrawal moments dates helped me to transition from sugary candy stuff to more natural to very low sugar. Thus way it's about two weeks and no headaches or shaky hands. Good luck!
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your reasons are your own business, and you didn't ask people for opinions on the rightness or wrongness of your decision.

In my experience, the less real sugar (as an ingredient) and artificial sweetener I eat, the less I crave it. The first week is the hardest. For me it got progressively easier. I can now pass by Cinnabon without even being tempted! So proud.

I usually go over MFP daily limit for nutritional sugars, but not by much.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Very well stated. THANK YOU!!!

My parents and grandparents are all diabetic; one of my sisters had gestational diabetes; another is considered pre-diabetic. I can see very clearly where my life is going if I don't make some changes now.

Very much agree !
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am way over on my allowed sugar in my calorie log. But I am not terribly concerned as it is mostly from smoothies (combination of veggies and fruit). I have never had sugar withdrawals .. even when I stopped my regular junk food binges recently.

Good luck .. but some sugar probably isn't all that bad for you.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound pleasant at all.

I tried to give up caffeine once, and I had similar symptoms.

Moral? Didn't give up caffeine. Went back to drinking coffee and being happier.

You can, of course, limit your refined sugars if that is the thing that seems to send you over your daily calorie goals, but giving up fruit also gives up an exceptional source of vitamins that are harder to get elsewhere. Not to mention the rehydration and balancing of electrolytes, fiber, and happy taste buds.

Don't make your diet so restrictive that you can't sustain it.
    [/quote]I am giving up caffeine, and the headaches are not fun, but hoping to be healthier.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I will tell you from my experience it was a little more than a week. Maybe 2. And I would like to tell you my personal reason at the time for doing so. I had a baby and neither she or I could get over thrush. Yeast overgrowth from breastfeeding, on nipples and in baby's mouth. We tried RX treatments, many rounds, natural treatments such as grapefruit seed extract. It wasn't until I completely eliminated sugar that the yeast overgrowth died. Yeast feeds on sugar. And I mean completely, no carrots, no ketchup etc.... And yeast is NOT a good thing to be present in high levels in your body. Neither are cancer cells which alsoare thought to feed on sugar.
    Now, I find myself with much of the same feelings of the OP. For general health and other food related issues, sugar in various forms seems to be a culprit. So, for my 2 cents. I agree. The sugar detox diet talks about weaning with green apples versus other varieties, grapefruit. I also know that fat can be a good way to provide satiety. Organic coconut butter (I like Artisana) tastes like candy but has limited sugar. I have heard L Glutaminine powder helps but have never tried it.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Your reasons are your own business, and you didn't ask people for opinions on the rightness or wrongness of your decision.

In my experience, the less real sugar (as an ingredient) and artificial sweetener I eat, the less I crave it. The first week is the hardest. For me it got progressively easier. I can now pass by Cinnabon without even being tempted! So proud.

I usually go over MFP daily limit for nutritional sugars, but not by much.

This ^ Also-I do still eat fruit and veggies for sure--I dont know about all the science mumbo-jumbo but I do know what has worked for me was cutting out extra sugar foods that dont come with them natural. My little meter tells me this is so and my doctor confirms it with A1C tests. I will treat myself to a sweetie every now and then though. As time marches on I find I crave it less and less. I was already exerising but by cutting back on extra sugar and limiting salt to a realistic level as well as eating correct portions I found the weight coming off way easier. All of this has kept me off the meds. And I do believe that with OPs Family history she is headed in the right direction.
  • erinleigh1976
    erinleigh1976 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did for about 3 weeks and then got lazy. Had a few terrible withdrawal moments but they did go away. I am two days away from starting again. Refines and processed sugars are terrible. Stick with natural fruit sugars and if the craving hits satisfy it with all natural honey or 100% pure maple syrup! Good luck!
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I also have noticed similar symptoms when I choose to limit sugar in my diet. The headaches are some of the worst I have had. Mine only last for a couple days usually and then when I reintroduce junk sugars (i always do eventally) they actually make me feel sick at first. It sounds like you have done a lot of research and know what is right for you. I hope the withdrawals stop soon.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    I will tell you from my experience it was a little more than a week. Maybe 2. And I would like to tell you my personal reason at the time for doing so. I had a baby and neither she or I could get over thrush. Yeast overgrowth from breastfeeding, on nipples and in baby's mouth. We tried RX treatments, many rounds, natural treatments such as grapefruit seed extract. It wasn't until I completely eliminated sugar that the yeast overgrowth died. Yeast feeds on sugar. And I mean completely, no carrots, no ketchup etc.... And yeast is NOT a good thing to be present in high levels in your body. Neither are cancer cells which alsoare thought to feed on sugar.
    Now, I find myself with much of the same feelings of the OP. For general health and other food related issues, sugar in various forms seems to be a culprit. So, for my 2 cents. I agree. The sugar detox diet talks about weaning with green apples versus other varieties, grapefruit. I also know that fat can be a good way to provide satiety. Organic coconut butter (I like Artisana) tastes like candy but has limited sugar. I have heard L Glutaminine powder helps but have never tried it.

Thrush happens most often because of a bacterial imbalance in the infant and spreads to the mother from the baby's mouth. Yeast grows too much when certain bacteria that feed on naturally-occuring yeast are not prevalent. Bacteria becomes imbalanced by a weakened immune system (such as when the child catches a cold or other virus). Breast milk will cause the tongue to turn white in babies, but thrush is obviously not the same thing.

Sugar does not cause cancer cells to grow faster. Mayo Clinic has done a substantial amount of research on this topic and found that it is simply not true. Beyond the normal use of glucose like any other cell in the body, sugar has no impact.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yep. I guess I should worry about Type 2 diabetes. LOL.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you do realize the mammary glands produce milk sugar, its not the same as the sugar that you ingest.. LOL
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to any ****. just quit it. For a lot of people sugar is addictive and our bodies don't need it anyway. Some addicts will defend their hit and pretend they are ok without fully understanding addiction. Some people are not affected but there is still no reason to eat it. Addicts will feel a strong emotional response if they read this to defend their use of sugar :-) If you have one then I would seriously consider quitting
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    have a look at this

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/