Been losing 6 pounds per week - is this safe?

Options
Hi,

I've been losing 6 pounds per week for the past few weeks and am wondering if this is OK. I'm currently a 30 year old, 6'0" 185 pound (male). I eat about 1500 calories per day and do 90 minutes of fairly heavy steady state cardio (heart rate at 140+ the whole time, 160+ on some exercises). I'd estimate I'm burning over 1000 calories per day due to exercise.

I achieved my initial goal of losing 100 pounds since January 1st (currently down 105). However, I find that I don't feel all that great. My energy level is a sapped, I'm irritable, grumpy, very emotional, and embarrassingly my libido seems reduced. What should I do? I want to continue losing and get down to 170 and 15% body fat. I lift weights occasionally but not that often. I still feel like a fatty when I look at myself in the mirror without a shirt on, although people tell me I look good (granted they only see me clothed). I really feel like if I don't lose another 15 pounds I'll continue to be too fat. I feel like I'm at about 20% body fat right now. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    An adult male should be eating a minimum of 1800 calories a day plus some of your exercise. You are drastically under eating which would explain why you feel like crap. Check out your BMR and eat above that at the very least.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So you only eat 1500, and you exercise off about 1000 of that.
    You're a grown adult netting 500 cals. This is why you feel like poop.

Eat more! Its good for you.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No, I do not think you're eating enough for a male of your age, weight, height, and activity level.

If your burns are accurate, that means you're NETTING 500 calories a day.

Do yourself a favor and set up your intake properly: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So you only eat 1500, and you exercise off about 1000 of that.
    You're a grown adult netting 500 cals. This is why you feel like poop.

Eat more! Its good for you.

Words of wisdom from a young lady! Makes me feel all hopeful for humanity once again! :smooched:
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As has already been stated...EAT MOAR FOODZ!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is not good. Eat more and hope it picks up. Don't mean to scare you but when a friend of mine started dropping that much that fast he was thrilled and so very happy to be at his goal weight but found out shortly thereafter he dropped it because he was VERY SICK - like cancer. So EAT and hope that you are not otherwise sick. If you EAT and still keep dropping go to the doctor.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    You are ready to get off that bike and Do some heavy lifting bro.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Oh honey, no it really isn't safe.... You've done so well on your weight loss but you need to ease off now or pretty soon you will start to feel extremely unwell. You will start to feel lethargic, dizzy, you will stop feeling hungry and you will become disorientated. In other words you will become ill both physically and mentally. Your body is a complex and finely balanced system - it cannot and will not manage on a net of just 500 calories.

If you cut back (or cut out) the exercise and increase your calories by as much as you can manage over the next few weeks you'll soon be feeling better. If you can't manage big meals, start with hot milky drinks, shakes and calorie dense foods like peanut butter or nutella on crackers, nuts and cheese.

This doesn't mean you'll put all of that 100lbs back on btw so don't worry. If you want to carry on losing weight you just set yourself a small calorie deficit (TDEE-10%). Like someone else said - if you're not happy with your shape - hit the weights!

You look great in your photo btw, hope things pick up for you soon! :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've been losing 6 pounds per week for the past few weeks and am wondering if this is OK. I'm currently a 30 year old, 6'0" 185 pound (male). I eat about 1500 calories per day and do 90 minutes of fairly heavy steady state cardio (heart rate at 140+ the whole time, 160+ on some exercises). I'd estimate I'm burning over 1000 calories per day due to exercise.

6 pounds is 21,000 calorie deficit, or about 3,000 calorie deficit/day. If you're eating 1,500, your TDEE would need to be 4,500. That's high, but doable.

The concern is whether you're going to be able to get the nutrients you need eating only 33% of your TDEE. That you're turning into a grumpy puss suggests the concern is valid.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would agree with those who say you need to eat more. I'm older, a chick, and burn far less in my exercise and I have had my best success losing the fat by eating 1800-2000 cals a day. A small calorie deficit is best for fat loss, and picking up some heavy weights (and eating properly) is good for hanging onto your lean body mass while you shed the fat.

Great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 It's a long read, but worth it. Check it out, and follow the instructions and links provided there to calculate your BMR and TDEE and figure out how much you should be eating daily.

Honestly, with the symptoms you described - grumpy, no energy, emotional, etc, you might consider eating AT your TDEE for awhile. Yeah, you might gain a few pounds, but getting those other issues back in order would take priority in my book. Then you could take a small cut, maybe 10-15% from TDEE to work on the fat loss again.

Food is fuel, and sounds like your body is seriously lacking it right now.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Holy crap you eat less than I do...wowsers...

Go out get a nice big steak, a big baked potatoe with butter, cheese, sour cream and real bacon, some veggies and a beer.

or a bacon cheese burger or a big pizza...or whatever floats your boat...My 19 year old son eats about 2500-3000 a day and he is losing weight...(active job mind you)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yep, you're severely undereating. You've gotten some great advice on upping your calories, so I will just add not to freak out if/when you put on a few pounds doing this. It WILL level out and then you'll be able to continue losing weight in a safe and healthy way.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion would be to actually get your BF tested so you know rather than think it's 20%. Also, do you have extra skin from losing so much so quickly? That will play a huge part in how you see your body. My son is 6'3" and at 180 he looks skeletal so I'm really wondering if your final goal is realistic. Probably building some muscle would be better than just trying to keep losing.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    ditto, I think if you started lifting and getting toned you would feel better. I personally dont think you need to lose the 15lbs but more tone what you have now. :) Great job on the weight loss though!!!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more, like 1800 and hit the weights! Weights will change your body composition. U don't have to give up cardio completely and you don't have to eat a whole lot more. But, if you feel like poo, eat a little more. Shoot for 1-2 lbs a week. I eat super low cal and burn a whole lot of calories everyday. I don't see anything wrong with netting 500, 300-700 is my norm.. but your not going to get the body you want unless you lift.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more, like 1800 and hit the weights! Weights will change your body composition. U don't have to give up cardio completely and you don't have to eat a whole lot more. But, if you feel like poo, eat a little more. Shoot for 1-2 lbs a week. I eat super low cal and burn a whole lot of calories everyday. I don't see anything wrong with netting 500, 300-700 is my norm.. but your not going to get the body you want unless you lift.

You'll see something wrong with netting that low pretty soon I reckon. Probably in the form of organ damage, if you're not careful. You can do untold harm by under-fueling your body so seriously.
  • TammyBaer
    TammyBaer Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You likely look in the mirror and see a skinny fat guy. More cardio will only emphasize that. Sounds like you are over doing it with cardio. Get lifting and stop weighing yourself! Your body will start changing right before your eyes. Take some before shots and do it again every 30 days. And get eating so that your body can build some muscle. You are probably very depleted at this stage!

Good luck my friend. Remember to eat, eat, eat and have lots of protein in every meal!
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I will try upping my calories to 1800 for awhile and do 3x cardio instead of 6x cardio every week. I'll do weights on the off days. I was lifting pretty well for awhile but pulled/strained my hamstring 2 months ago doing deadlifts so I stopped. I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Thank you.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

Yep, weight lifting and resistance training is what is going to make you like what you see in the mirror for sure. I don't know what my fit food is but its not giving you enough calories and variety. Great job on losing all that weight but now to feel really healthy you got to start doing resitance training and eating a balanced meal and foods. Are you drinking water? it isn't logged if so.
  • getgemma
    getgemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I had to say something to give you a sense of proportion.
    I'm female and 178cm tall and weight 80kg. Granted I am curvy!
    Your weightloss is too dramatic and when you are so close to your goal weight you should really take your time. It's great how much you have lost to date! Use your app to get a sense of the deficit in calories. You'll be surprised! That's what I did when I went to the extreme with cals and found I was drained!
    I currently run 3 times a week (5k to 10k) and play competive sport one evening. This has been more than enough to loose on average 1lb to 1.5lb a week at 1400 cal in take. I don't necessarily limit myself as I still enjoy a whole bar of green and blacks chocolate on 10k days ;) I also have as much protein as my body craves after a run. Generally the total is still under 2000.
    Slow down or your skin, hair, nails and emotions (hormones) will be effected.

I hope this helps and well done. Your loss is enviable ;)