Soup Season

Options
mcflat29
mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
Well, cool weather is approaching (I live in the "Midwest" so it's right around the corner) and we call this Soup Season. Nothing like a warm bowl of hearty goodness to get you through a cold spell. I'm also fond of making homemade oatmeal.

So, I was wondering what great somewhat healthy and tasty soup recipes my fellow MFP users have or have stumbled across. Or your other cold weather favorites that make you miss warmer months less.

:wink: No 'dieting' advice needed, just a nice collaboration of recipes here :drinker:

My submission is Oktoberfest Stew:

Ingredients
1/2 lb smoked sausage
1 cup beef broth
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup coarsley chopped celery
1/4 cup coarsley chopped onion
1/4 cup coarsley chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
2 cups half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 green onions, sliced

Directions:

1 Combine broths, celery, onion, green pepper and potato in large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
2 Add dissolved cornstarch; cook and stir until soup thickens.
3 Cut sausage into quarters, lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4" pieces. Add sausage, cheese, sauerkraut, half and half and white pepper. Stir.
4 Continue heating until mixture is hot. DO NOT BOIL. Serve immediately.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/octoberfest-sausage-soup-315485?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/octoberfest-sausage-soup-315485?oc=linkback</a&gt;

Because hey, Oktoberfest is right around the corner. I think I've even seen recipes where one of the broths is switched out with your favorite beer, but I bring you the non-alcoholic version. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    OOOOOOH. That sounds yummy. I usually don't have a recipe for soup. I look into the fridge take out a bunch of veggies and chop them up. Then put in a pot with either chicken or beef stock (whichever I have on hand) and some left over chicken or beef if I have and voila soup.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well, cool weather is approaching (I live in the "Midwest" so it's right around the corner) and we call this Soup Season. Nothing like a warm bowl of hearty goodness to get you through a cold spell. I'm also fond of making homemade oatmeal.

So, I was wondering what great somewhat healthy and tasty soup recipes my fellow MFP users have or have stumbled across. Or your other cold weather favorites that make you miss warmer months less.

:wink: No 'dieting' advice needed, just a nice collaboration of recipes here :drinker:

My submission is Oktoberfest Stew:

Ingredients
    1/2 lb smoked sausage
    1 cup beef broth
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup coarsley chopped celery
    1/4 cup coarsley chopped onion
    1/4 cup coarsley chopped green bell pepper
    2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
    1 cup shredded swiss cheese
    1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
    2 cups half-and-half
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 green onions, sliced

Directions:

1 Combine broths, celery, onion, green pepper and potato in large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
    2 Add dissolved cornstarch; cook and stir until soup thickens.
    3 Cut sausage into quarters, lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4" pieces. Add sausage, cheese, sauerkraut, half and half and white pepper. Stir.
    4 Continue heating until mixture is hot. DO NOT BOIL. Serve immediately.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/octoberfest-sausage-soup-315485?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/octoberfest-sausage-soup-315485?oc=linkback</a&gt;

Because hey, Oktoberfest is right around the corner. I think I've even seen recipes where one of the broths is switched out with your favorite beer, but I bring you the non-alcoholic version. :flowerforyou:

That sounds YUMMY. I'd have to do it without the cheese & cornstarch but you had me at sausage and sauerkraut.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili

2 lb. lean ground turkey
    1 med. yellow onion
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    3 sliced carrots ( I actually use a bag of baby carrots but it all depends on if you really like carrots that much)
    1 small bag/box of frozen corn
    1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons Chili Powder
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. Red Pepper flakes
    Salt & Pepper to taste

You can increase and decrease certain items . I used to eat beans so I would add a can of black or kidney beans. Since we don't do beans anymore I use more meat. You can switch up the veggies anyway you want really or you can also make it hotter by adding more red pepper flakes. I keep mine pretty mild. So, chop the onion and use half of it to brown the turkey. Once you've browned it and drained it throw the other half of the onion and everything else (except the corn) in a big ole stew pot and stir it up. If you want to throw it all in a crockpot - even better - cook it covered on low for about 4 hours. You can throw the corn in for the last hour. On the stove you can cook it on medium and have it done in about an hour or you can simmer it for as long as you want. It's really hard to mess it up! If you do dairy - top with sour cream and cheddar - YUM.

Pumpkin & Black Bean soup
    *another from my 'bean' days - but I plan to try sausage this year

2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    3 cups canned or packaged vegetable stock, found on soup aisle
    1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
    2 cans (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (found often on the baking aisle)
    1 cup heavy cream (am trying coconut cream this year)
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, eyeball it in the palm of your hand
    Coarse salt
    20 blades fresh chives, chopped or snipped, for garnish
    Directions
    Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Saute onions 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste. Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chopped chives.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Don't know about everyone else but I have been eating soup all summer as well..... The progresso lite soups are great for a low cal meal/
  • mcflat29
    Options
    Pumpkin and black bean sounds interesting!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS:
    8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1/2 cup butter (margarine)
    1 cup Idaho Potato flakes
    6 cups milk (2%)
    2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (low fat)
    16 oz shredded Cheddar cheese (low fat)
    8 oz Velveeta Cheese, cubed (2%)
    Real bacon bits
    2 cups broccoli florets
    salt, pepper and granulated garlic to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place cubed potatoes into a stock pot and cook until soft but not mushy. They should break apart with a fork with a little effort.

2. When the potatoes are finished cooking strain MOST of the water off, leaving a little in the pot as a thickener. Transfer to a separate bowl.

3. Over a medium-high heat gradually stir in milk, butter and chicken broth and seasonings. Then add Velveeta cubes. Bring to a low boil stirring continuously to avoid sticking, reduce heat, stir in the cooked potatoes, onion, broccoli, bacon bits and 8 ozs of shredded cheddar cheese.

4. If soup needs thickening, slowly mix in potato flakes.

Cook for about 5 more minutes.

Garnish with remaining cheese and sour cream and ENJOY!

Definitely not healthy but call it a comfort soup. lol
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In for recipes!
  • mcflat29
    Options
    Ham, corn, potato chowder.

The easy way. (serves 4)

1 package cubed ham (or cube your own)
    1 can creamed sweet corn
    2 can cream of potato soup (I prefer Campbells and you can use the low sodium option)
    1/2 can milk (works fine with skim. I use the campbells can for measuring)
    1 can diced new potatoes
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 diced onion
    Salt, pepper to taste
    Shredded sharp cheddar

Large skillet, little pat of butter, brown the onions and garlic. Add cubed ham. Add in the cream of potato soup slowly, then the can of creamed corn, then the milk slowly. Stir well between mixing. Add the potatoes last and let simmer 30 minutes.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.

I like to serve this over a warm opened biscuit, but that's optional. This is a very basic soup that you can add all kinds of different ingredients too. I've added dill, basil, peppers, chives.

NOTES: If you want to use fresh potatoes, dice and brown with the ham to soften. I cheat and use the diced new potatoes so they don't take as long. And you have to use the creamed corn to achieve the thick creamy texture of the soup. Trust me, it doesn't taste like creamed corn but it does wonders in the soup!

You can also trade out the ham with chicken and the cream of potato with cream of broccoli or broccoli cheese. There's a lot of different ways to "transform" this recipe. Probably why it's the favorite one I've created and my most requested.
  • mcflat29
    Options
    http://recipeswagger.blogspot.com/2012/08/creamy-tomato-tortellini-soup.html

On my list to try.

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
    Ingredients:
    2 whole large Cloves Of Garlic Minced
    2 Tbl Olive Oil
    2 10 3/4 oz Cans of Condensed Tomato Soup
    1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped or 2 Tbl Of Sun Dried Tomato Paste
    2 cups Half-and-half
    2 cups Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 Tbl Italian Seasoning
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Pepper
    1 whole 9 Oz Package Of Cheese Filled Tortellini
    1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese, for garnish

Directions:
    Saute garlic with the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat until golden brown.
    Be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get too brown or burnt.
    When the garlic is done, add tomato soup, tomatoes, half and half, chicken stock and spices.
    Bring to a simmer.
    Once simmering, drop tortellini into the soup. Cook according to the package directions.
    After tortellini are cooked, ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
  • mcflat29
    Options
    (Bonus, leftovers for this recipe can be frozen. Perfect for make ahead of time portions)

Broccoli & Cheese Soup

8 cups water
    6 chicken bullion cubes
    3 bunches fresh broccoli (cut into florets)
    1 medium onion (chopped)
    15 oz jar Cheese Whiz
    1 1/2 cups butter
    2/3 cup flour
    pepper to taste

Bring water to boil
    Add bullion cubes, broccoli, butter & onion
    Simmer approx 20 minutes until broccoli falls apart
    Mix flour and cold water separately and then add it to mixture
    This will help the flour from clumping in your soup
    Stir in cheese whiz until smooth
    Pepper to taste
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin and black bean sounds interesting!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS:
    8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1/2 cup butter (margarine)
    1 cup Idaho Potato flakes
    6 cups milk (2%)
    2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (low fat)
    16 oz shredded Cheddar cheese (low fat)
    8 oz Velveeta Cheese, cubed (2%)
    Real bacon bits
    2 cups broccoli florets
    salt, pepper and granulated garlic to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place cubed potatoes into a stock pot and cook until soft but not mushy. They should break apart with a fork with a little effort.

2. When the potatoes are finished cooking strain MOST of the water off, leaving a little in the pot as a thickener. Transfer to a separate bowl.

3. Over a medium-high heat gradually stir in milk, butter and chicken broth and seasonings. Then add Velveeta cubes. Bring to a low boil stirring continuously to avoid sticking, reduce heat, stir in the cooked potatoes, onion, broccoli, bacon bits and 8 ozs of shredded cheddar cheese.

4. If soup needs thickening, slowly mix in potato flakes.

Cook for about 5 more minutes.

Garnish with remaining cheese and sour cream and ENJOY!

Definitely not healthy but call it a comfort soup. lol
    You had me at bacon.:heart::flowerforyou: :love:
  • mcflat29
    Options
    A bunch of slow cooker recipes under 300 calories http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/calorie-counts/low-calorie-slow-cooker-recipes-00420000001431/page30.html

My favorite:

White Bean and Chicken Chili

Ingredients:
    2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 whole bone-in chicken breasts (3 lb.)
    teaspoon salt and black pepper
    2 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 (4 oz.) cans roasted green chilies, drained
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon ground cumin

Preparation

Place beans and broth in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, 2 hours.
    Warm oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side down in skillet; cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; remove and discard skin. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add onion mixture, chilies, 1 cup water and cumin to slow cooker. Stir; add chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring twice. Remove 1 cup beans plus 1/2 cup liquid from slow cooker. Puree in a blender; return to slow cooker. Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker. Spoon into individual bowls and serve.
  • mcflat29
    Options
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-pea-soup-with-bacon-50400000104631/print/

Sweet Pea and Bacon

Ingredients
    6 slices lower-sodium bacon
    1 1/2 cups refrigerated diced potatoes with onions (such as Simply Potatoes)
    4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (16-ounce) package frozen petite green peas
    1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until crisp. Drain bacon on a paper towel; crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan; discard excess drippings.
    2. Add potatoes to drippings in pan, and sauté 5 minutes or until slightly brown. Add broth and peas to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Place 4 1/2 cups soup in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed soup to pan; add half-and-half and pepper. Heat 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup evenly into 6 bowls, and top evenly with crumbled bacon.
  • mcflat29
    Options

You had me at bacon.:heart::flowerforyou: :love:

I added another one with bacon, just for you.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    In for the recipies!!
  • mcflat29
    Options
    So, I made this Oktoberfest Stew instead because it had less ingredients and the hubby isn't fond of sauerkraut. It does have cabbage but when made right, it really tastes awesome!

(Serves about 4, entrée servings)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 (14 ounce) package beef smoked sausage, cut into bite-size slices
    1 ½ onion, sliced into thin semi-circles
    ½ head small cabbage, halved again, cored and thinly sliced
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground caraway seeds
    • Pinch salt
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1cup German-style lager beer (Oktoberfest variety)
    2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed to bite-size pieces
    2 ½ cups hot chicken stock
    1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Preparation:

-Place a medium-large pot over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil; once the oil is hot, add in the sliced beef smoked sausage, and allow the slices to caramelize and brown in the oil, for about 4-5 minutes; once the sausage is browned, add in the sliced onions, stir, and allow the onions to caramelize with the sausage for another few minutes, until golden-brown and softened; once onions are caramelized, add in the sliced cabbage, stir to combine, and allow the cabbage to soften and take on the flavors of the sausage and onions for few minutes; once the cabbage is softened and golden, add in the black pepper, ground caraway seeds and the pinch of salt, and stir to combine; next, stir in the garlic, and once it becomes aromatic, add in the cup of lager, and stir the mixture to combine; allow the beer to slightly reduce for about 3 minutes or so; next, add in the cubed potatoes and the hot chicken stock, stir, and allow the mixture to come to the boil; once it comes to the boil, place a lid on (slightly askew to allow just a little steam to escape), and reduce the heat to low to gently simmer the stew for about 40 minutes; after the 40 minutes, turn the heat off, and finish the stew by stirring in the apple cider vinegar and the chopped parsley (add more salt if necessary, too).

-Serve in large bowls with some hearty, rye bread or rustic rolls with butter or cream cheese.

http://thecozyapron.com/oktoberfest-stew-and-shiny-happy-people/
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    No recipes to share as I usually just throw together whatever vegetables I have in the fridge or feel like picking up or goes with whatever meat I have. I made potato soup earlier this week with ham, potatoes (of course), carrots, celery and onion.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I love them all. :heart: But I don't know what to make first: I am torn between the Tomato Tortellini, the Broccolli and Cheese or the Loaded Potato Bacon!

eat-all-the-things.jpg
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    French Onion, Minestrone, Chicken Tortilla, Tortellini & Spinach... I can't wait for soup season to start. I'm also looking forward to chili!
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump...love soup!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make is roasted butternut squash and shallot soup. It is insanely easy.

Cube one squash, peel and half 4 shallots, and cut up a hunk of ginger. Toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Roast at 375 for about an hour or until soft. Put half of that mixture in a blender with two cups of vegetable broth or stock. Blend. Do again with the other half. Pour it in a large pot and heat for 5 minutes.

I will often make a double batch and freeze it.