Couch to 5K Inspiration

Options
I've been playing with the idea of running... Me, actually running! It's one of my goals to run for 1 mile without having to stop, but I wasn't sure if I could do it. For starters I'm not very aerodynamic, and secondly It just seems so... hard. But I googled the C25K program, and I found this video of a guy named Ben Davis, and how he lost 120lbs by watching what he ate and running marathons. It's a very inspiring video, so I thought I would share. :)

I can totally do this!

http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html

Enjoy.

Replies

• Lindsay7360
    Options
    His blog is good too! :)

http://bendoeslife.tumblr.com/
  • sillyme28
    Options
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Running is amazing. I get sad when I am unable to run. Just last night I remembered how hard it was for me to get to the mile mark. Now I am doing 5k's :D
  • Jalah
    Jalah Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of C25K! I should be on week 4 but changed things up last week and decided to do a few more days of week 3 before I moved to week 4! I'll start week 4 this weekend! I'm loving it so far. Last week I tested myself and was able to run .8 without having to walk. My goal is be able to run a mile without stopping by next week so we'll see what happens!
  • laciedurfee
    laciedurfee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have an app on my ipod that has the same idea. not sure if you have access to apps but if you do there are a few that are great tools to get used to running! the one i have was maybe $1 and it's called c25k. it breaks down your work outs. it starts out with you walking for 1 min then running for 2 and so on untill you are running non stop for 30 min. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading :happy:
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    @laciedurfee - I didn't even think about looking for an app. Thanks! I just found a free C25K one on my Android phone. I can't wait to try it out. I'd been using CardioTrainer for my cycling (distance, pace, mph, etc.). But this one looks very cool.

Thanks again! I can't wait to start this program. I've even got my husband on board to do it with me. :)
  • Kariow
    Kariow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    here's some inspiration for you....i couldnt run for longer than 2mins at a 5mph pace January 2010...i for the most part followed a routine like the C25K....i just ran my third 1/2 marathon (NO STOPPING) and finished in 2hrs 8min....9 min miles average....it took me 10 months, but if I can do it, so can you!

Good luck! and HAPPY RUNNING!!!!
  • klm1982
    Options
    You can totally do it.!!! I did the C25K but instead of the 9 week plan I actually did each week for 1.5- 2 weeks, making it more like a 16 week plan. I hated running and was so out of shape that I was literally crying and running at the same time, but now I run 5K 4 or 5 times a week. I still have a lot more weight I want to lose, but the C25K plan really helped me with the 80lbs. that I have lost so far. About a mile into my runs I am hot and sweaty so for me once I get there I don't see the point in stopping, and I figure I might as well just run the rest. Good luck!
  • McGruber03
    Options
    You can do it! I started running 1/2 mile when I was 31 years old, I had never been a runner. I kept at it and decided to train for a marathon. I ran the Chicago Marathon (it took me almost 6 hours, but I finished, dang it!) 10 months later. It has changed my life! I loved it so much, I ran the Birmingham, AL marathon 4 months later (Feb 2010) and I am now training for the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis. If I can do it, anyone can! Good luck!