We bought some Quinoa,what should we do with it?

Options
I read on here that this is a healthy side dish so my husband picked some up today. We would like to make it to go with our dinner tonight. What are your favorite recipes or do you just follow the package directions? Do you cook it with water or vegetable stock? Our box has a recipe for stuffed peppers but my husband doesn't like stuffed peppers so he won't make it. (Yes, he does most of our cooking because I work full time, am taking two graduate level classes and workout, so he has way more time to do it.) He found a recipe for Quinoa-crusted chicken...I guess that's a possibility. I would love for you to share your favorite Quinoa recipes!!

Replies

• mkmerrill
    mkmerrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I cook it in beef broth according to package the sauté in some artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes with cayenne pepper. It is amazing!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am not a huge Quinoa fan, i think it is ok but not one of my favorites. I have only tried a couple of recipes though, one on the side of the box and another that was suppose to be like a crispy round (tator tot). So i am hoping for a few good recipes too.

I had Trader Joes steel cut oatmeal with Quinoa and i liked it ok but i am going to try to find my own recipe. It was frozen and a bit mushy but i think it would work well with the overnight steel cut oats recipe and you can add your own fruit to it.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Quinoa w/Black Beans and Corn

1 Tbsp olive oil + 2 Tbsp
    3 green onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups vegetable broth or water
    1 12-oz. can vegetarian black beans, drained
    1 cup corn kernels
    2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or chili powder (optional)
    sea salt or kosher salt and a bit of fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
    Preparation:

In a large skillet, sautee the garlic in one tablespoon of olive oil for 2-3 minutes, then add the chopped green onions and heat for just another minute or two. Add quinoa and vegetable broth or water. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes, until quinoa is cooked and can be fluffed with a fork. Add corn kernels, black beans and chili powder or cayenne pepper (to taste) just a minutes or two before quinoa is done cooking to heat through.
    Remove the quinoa from heat and stir in the lime juice, two tablespoons of olive oil and season with sea salt or kosher salt and a bit of black pepper, combining well.

Add in fresh chopped cilantro just before serving.

Makes four servings. This is also a high-protein and gluten-free vegetarian recipe if your spices are gluten-free.

Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili

makes 6 hearty bowls of chili

one 29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    one 6 oz can tomato paste
    32 oz vegetable stock
    1 onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
    1 cup dry quinoa
    salt and pepper to taste
    avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)

Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper . Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened. Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa and use it a ton of different ways. It makes a great breakfast "cereal". You can make a pot ahead of time and measure out a serving each morning which is a great way to get a high protein breakfast when you are on the run. I mix the quinoa with chopped dried apricots, chopped almonds, dried sour cherries and celery for crunch. You can add chopped apples or walnuts...pretty much anything you want. I reheat a 1/2 cup in the microwave for 1 minute, put a stevia in and some non-fat milk and am good to go.

It also makes a great side dish. You can add anything you would add to stuffing but it will be healthy. Cook it in veggie stock and add celery, mushroom, onion, dried apricot, apple...whatever turns you on. It is a great, high protein side dish.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've only had it once and didn't like it - but I didn't really know how to cook it.

Some info and recipes here: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/whatisquinoa.htm

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=quinoa

And is it more tasty if you toast it first?
  • olgabillman
    Options
    Lots of things. You can basically replace quinoa with any grain recipes. I make mac and cheese, stuffed pappers/tomatoes, chicken parm, pasta. It's very versatile. If you want something simple just cook it in some broth and throw in some herbs and lemon juice and have a simple side.

I personally prefer it twice cooked. Meaning I cook it once and then bake it with what ever recipe I am doing. It comes out soft and fluffy.
  • shinee11
    shinee11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a perfect side dish if you are looking for something light or in place of salad. Just cook according to the directions. Once cool add cucumbers, grape tomatoes, feta, a lil cilantro; olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and a bit of salt. :smile:
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can check later.
  • You could grit your driveway with it come winter?

But seriously, I have made my peace with Quinoa now (I also use Quinoa flour in baking as a gluten free substitute).

In the meantime this is my favourite Quinoa recipe, we have it quite often in our house, it's vegan and yummy!!

Vegan Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili

Serves about 4-6 people depending on appetite

one can black beans, rinsed and drained
    one little tin of tomato paste
    32 oz vegetable stock
    1 onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano (mexican if you can get it)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
    200g dry quinoa
    salt and pepper to taste
    chopped avocado, coriander for garnish (optional)

Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium low heat. Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper . Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened. Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and chopped coriander.
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I cooked some last week. I put it in my rice cooker with water and some Moroccan seasoning , it was really nice. I had it for lunch with steamed zucchini and lemon pepper flavoured tuna.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I make it in my rice cooker (1 cup quinoa/2 cups water) with half a veggie boullion cube (or use any broth). Comes out great. Then fluff with a fork and season - try salt, pepper, garlic powder and red wine vinegar (or your favorite vinegar). Can also add a touch of nice olive oil if you want. You can eat it plain like that, I add it to salads, but I usually mix in veggies. Roasted veggies and goat cheese is my favorite combo- or make a mediterranean salad with feta, cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives! Or make a southwest quinoa with black beans, corn, cilantro, and maybe avocado on top. Quinoa is the most versatile food ever- I cook a big batch every sunday, vary the mix in's each week and bring it for lunch daily! It's soo satisfying. I almost never make rice- just quinoa!
  • rhuj
    rhuj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading this thread. Guess what we're having for dinner? :wink:
  • there are lots info on line and so many ways to cook it
  • GirlJudeCr001
    GirlJudeCr001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use it for brekkies. Cook with almond or rice milk, add cinnamon, serve over mixed berries with a few pecan or hazel nuts and a small drizzle of maple syrup or honey .
  • Beachcrazy57
    Beachcrazy57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a couple questions: what's the right way to rinse and drain the quinoa. I was going to use it in a quinoa spinach bake but I tried to rinse and drain without success. How does the quinoa and pebbles (non-quinoa) get separated? I felt so stupid when I tried to rinse using a strainer and quinoa was falling through the mesh. Someone please educate me! Thanks!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it according to package directions (one note: I usually use about 25% more liquid than it calls for), then add things to it. One of my favorites is quinoa + lemon juice and parsley. Another good one is quinoa cooked in stock, then mixed with chunks of grilled chicken and a little pesto. Sometimes I toss (cold, cooked) quinoa with summer veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and onion, then drizzle balsamic vinegar over the whole thing. I like it thrown into soups that would ordinarily have rice or small noodles, too. Hot quinoa, diced roasted or pickled beets, lemon oil (lemon juice whisked with a bit of olive oil), butternut squash cubes, and a sprinkle of nutmeg is also really good. You can also use it as a bed for chicken or tuna salads, mushroom or other chunky gravies, or thick stews.

I line my strainer with a coffee filter for rinsing the quinoa. Soak the quinoa in a bowl of water for a minute, then dump it into the filter/strainer. Tada! Rinsed quinoa.
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zsgirl1218
    zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a staple in my family. I've made everything from Mac and cheese to enchelada casserole. I use it a lot as a rice substitute. My favorite is to make some salmon in the oven and while it's cooking make the quinoa. When the quinoa is done I stir in a little bit of pesto, flake the salmon, and have a nommy meal that fills me up! Or I make the quinoa TE day before and refrigerate it. The next day ill add diced tomatoes sweet onions and avacados and make a good light salad for lunch. Or you could just add salsa black beans and corn and put it in as a taco filling.... There's so much to use it for
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    saving this for later