I sure dont feel 45 pounds thinner

Options

Replies

• geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Okay. Go to the supermarket and pick up 45 pounds' worth of potatoes (the bags usually work). That would be about what you have lost, probably both in size and in weight.

Amazing, isn't it?

That is so true! Whenever I feel discouraged by the amount I've lost, I envision the same amount of butter, shortening, etc. When you look at even 5 pounds of butter and thinking of losing that from one's body, the amount takes on a whole new significance!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'll keep this short.I've lost 45 pounds and although others seem to notice a difference, I kinda don't. I mean, clothes fit better but... I still feel very fat.

Could this be because I had a lot of weight to lose to begin with? Or because I'm tall (5'9)? I've gone from 245 to 200. Will I notice a more dramatic difference as I work toward my next goal of 175? I'm not sure if this is the right section, so please forgive me, but I'm looking for input/experiences as I'm feeling a little discouraged.

Wow-this could be me talking! I am 5'8" and have gone from 255 to 205 in less than 5 months. People are constantly telling me how thin I've gotten, but I just see my fat thighs and stomach. I know I am wearing smaller clothes and can see some differences, but I still think I look fat. Right now my goal is also 175 too. I am large framed so that is just a little more than what my goal should be, but right now that's what I'm aiming for. I'm not feeling discouraged, but all the comments feel false to me because I know I still have a ways to go. Keep up the good work and I'll do the same!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My highest was 315 and now at 253 I dont FEEL like i have a huge difference. I keep wondering when it will make a difference to me. I was looking around today (i was at a music fest) looking at all the shapes and sizes - wondering - when will i feel 'thin enough' or 'fit enough'...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    First on congrats on losing 45lbs!!!!

My weight loss is highly noticable (obviously I can't shed 143lbs and not have it be be noticable) but I still have days that I feel fat and flabby.

I think as you lose more though you will notice it more. For me I lost 50+lbs before it really started to make a difference, as you get smaller the changes come quicker.
  • freefalling83
    freefalling83 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I'm 5 8 and am down 26.6lbs and am not seeing the difference! Glad to know there are others out there who are in this boat with me!
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    I think you look great. You can definitely tell a big difference in your before and after pics. I definitely understand how you feel though. I'm 4"11 so any extra weight on me definitely shows. I'm down to 126 but still see the 160+ person alot of the time. No one judges us as harshly as we judge ourselves. You're doing great though. Keep up the good work :)
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I think i'd lost 10 lbs maybe... when I asked how I looked I had a friend (now EX friend) tell me, "Nobody notices when you take a couple buckets of water out of the ocean."

She was a **** lol.

However, in my experience, the farther along you get the more difference a few lbs seems to make. Even if you're not noticing so much of a change now, stick with it! You'll get to that point I swear it!!

I might add that even though i've gone from a size 16 to a size 6 there are still days I feel like I look horrible, sometimes one's perception of ones self isn't always realistic. I'm sure you look fantastic.

Stick with it. Don't be discouraged! Good luck!

well, that was rude of her!! that would have really upset me....glad to see you stuck to it and are doing great!
  • manda2980
    manda2980 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's all in our head I think. I have lost 120lbs and somedays I still feel as fat as the day I started. It's a very hard thing to overcome. When you have been this one person for so long and have accepted the way you look, the change can be very scary and hard to accept. Just don't give up, you do look great, so believe it when people tell you that.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel this way and I took the advise of those on here who said to do TWO things....pictures & clothes. I kept taking pictures and I lost each 10 lbs. You will hit a point where you put them side by side (especially awesome when you try on something you wore religiously when you first started this!!!!) and can FINALLY see in your mind's eye that you are looking different. You will get there...take the pictures...you will be glad you did!
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far. I'm sure there is a difference though it can be hard to see it on ourselves. We are our own worst critics. One thing I have noticed with my own weight loss is that the closer I get to my goal, the more dramatic I see the results. For example, I couldn't see much difference from when I was 200 lbs to 175 lbs. But the difference between 165-150 has been huge and I can definitely tell.

Just keep working, take pictures, take measurements and one day it will hit you how awesome you look. Good luck!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think it's the brain not catching up. I'm down 55, it's the lightest I've been in 10 years and I do not see it in the mirror. I see it on pictures but not when I look at myself.
  • reedandmalloy
    Options
    I'm also 5'9" and I always have to lose at least 30-40 pounds before someone might notice. I once went from 240 down to 155 and it wasn't really until about 175-180 that people started commenting. But on the bright side--the opposite was also true. No one ever believes that I weight as much as I do.

Do you exercise? I have noticed that the times I lost weight while exercising the results were MUCH quicker to be seen by myself and others.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    It is a body image thing. Tons of us have that issue. I always think I look SOOOOOO much bigger than what a picture will show. I keep hoping the problem will go a way but it never has. Even when I was 110 lbs (5'3") , during most of my 20s, I felt big. I keep hoping the problem will go a way but it never has.

I didn't see any pics do you have some at your higher weight and have any recent ones to compare them? Pics do help, even if you hate looking at them!!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Still fat just not as fat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I think for me a lot of it is that I never FELT crazy-fat, and from ages 17-35 I've usually been in the range of 240-270 so for me that was "normal" (unlike someone who is always average sized and then gains a ton from pregnancy etc). I felt like I looked pretty average, even at my highest weight of 307 lb.

From 2008-2011 I went from 307 lb to 272. Felt no different really. I stopped having swollen ankles and could walk faster and more easily, that's about it.

In 2012 I went from 272-262. Felt no different aside from noticing that I fit better into chairs, booths, etc.

Since March I've gone from 262 to 223...actually this AM's weigh in said 220.6 but I wait until a loss is sustained over several days before logging. I feel no different except when people go on and on about my weight loss (which everyone in my life does) and when I realize that I really have gone down to a 1X top and 18 jeans are getting baggy - I have not worn a 16 since 8th grade so that's gonna be surreal.

However, even with my loss of over 80 lb in the past 5 yrs I just DO NOT feel drastically different!! In photos I see a change but it does not seem like THAT major of a change to me. I was happy before and I'm happier now, true. But it has a lot more to do with changes in my life (divorce, getting remarried, new job) than my weight. I know a lot of people who lose 20, 50, or more lb and feel so much more energetic and like a different person and I don't know what that is like at all really...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Try on the clothes you wore 45 pounds ago if you still have some and you will see the difference.
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In the past when I've lost weight I find that for the first while I actually feel 'fatter'. I think this is mostly due to the fact that my body changes shape & I lose weight off different parts at different speeds...so I go from being big all over to looking a lot more bumpy & lumpy in certain parts. For example when I start to lose weight my butt & thighs get all around smaller to everyone else's eyes, but what I notice is that suddenly my lower area changes to an 'S' shape rather than an 'O'...lol...if that makes any sense...everything goes in and then out and then in again instead of a smooth line. I think taking our measurements at check-in rather than our weight alone is what helps with the reality check that I am in fact getting smaller. I try to alternate, one week I do my measurements for check in & the next week I do my weight. Weighing myself every two weeks also gives my body enough time to register something on the scale & there's less of a chance of being disappointed with a really low number. Also keeping a journal of photos going really helps to show us the changes going on in our bodies. I'm sure that everybody else notices it. And last but not least...take great pride in the fact that you've made an amazing changes in your life that has made you a healthier person! Slow & steady wins the race! Congrats on your 45! :)
  • julyjulie50
    julyjulie50 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A WW woman brought a jumper dress that you can fit overhead (sorry English is my 2nd language). It had pockets with weights in them and we had to wear the jumper and guess the added weight. My knees folded when I tried it on so I guessed around 80 lbs. A lot of woman said 100- 120 lbs. The overall average was around 80 to 100 lbs.

Actually it was 15 pounds (not kidding). 15 x 1 pound weights in little Pocket all around the dress. Just to show you that 43 pounds is a lot! and you are use to it but if you would wear it all at once, you'd feel it!!

Just a little story I wanted to share, it has changed forever the way I see a 15 weight loss.:happy:

JJ
  • kuroi19
    Options
    I have that too. I can feel the difference and I look better with clothes on, pretty much healthy and your average guy but mentally I know I still don't look well and I suspect I won't lose my folds and belly fat until i hit the middle of my bmi. Not even the tip.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' (172 cm).
    I started here at 210 lbs (95 kg). Now I am 159 lbs (72 kg). That means 51 lbs lost.

Do I feel different?
    Most times I don't. Still got big thighs, a big belly, so big calves that make me don't want to wear nothing but long pants and maxi skirts/dresses. Sometimes I feel even worse because I think that from workouts by thighs and calves get bigger and bigger everyday. And I don't even workout that hard.

I know that I have lost. I know I wear smaller clothes. I know my whole body starts looking better. But I most time forget I know that.

I lost the weight very slow, in a little more than a year. I thought that losing slowly I would cope better with the weighloss. I didn't.

But I know that little by little my body image will change. It just takes more time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!