How do y'all count "yoga"

Options
The calorie burn MFP has for yoga seems really low, based on the kind of yoga that I do. I go to vinyasa flow classes that elevate my heart rate and cause me to drip sweat. MFP doesn't allow us to differentiate between types of yoga, which I think makes a huge difference.

According to MFP, for 75 minutes of "yoga",I burn less than I do walking at 3.5 mph for an hour. I don't think that its accurate. I was told by the studio owner that you can burn, like, over 500 cals an hour. That may be the case, but that seems a little high to m too. Anyway, I know there is no way of knowing unless you get a heart rate monitor (which I am unable to purchase at this time) but I was just wondering if y'all were just sticking to the seemingly low calorie burn that MFP says, or if you log it differently.

I've been just using the number they give. I've been satisfied on the calories I've been eating, and I try to eat at least 90% of my exercise cals back, so I guess I shouldn't really worry about it. I was just curious about what others have been doing!

ps- since MFP has about 10 Wii Fit exercises, I really wish they'd add about 4 more yoga, based on type/intensity! Maybe I'll suggest that to them... :)

Replies

• Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of yoga too and found the cal they gave were very low too. But, I found For me to loose the weight it was best not to go far over the given amount of calories anyway and not eat all of my exercise cals. So, you could practise your ego skills, and just keep adding the low cal score and eat only those if you want.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You will swear doing yoga. But becasue your not jumping around or exherting your heart. THe heart rate is low. I barley burn 100 calories in 30 min. So if I do JM yoga meltdown i will do it 2 times through for an hour then I burn near 200 calories and Yoga X which is 90 min about 300 calories burned. It is not a calories burner but it is needed to add into your workout routines.
  • losergirl78
    Options
    I take a Yo-Pi class that is a mix of Pilates and Yoga and I know MFP is way below what I burn in an hour. I do not eat any exercise calories so I just log what they have and the calories they say I burn doesn't really effect me. If you are maintaining I would recommend getting a calorie counting watch so you can start calculating your calories burned during your exercise routines.
  • emily859
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I figured, I've lost 5 lbs, so I might wanna just keep doing what I've been doing anyway. :)
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do Vinyasa as well. It is much more intensive than regular Hatha yoga because it is based on a movement flow. For me, it really gets my heart pumping! Yesterday, after my class, I faced the same dilema and googled it online. One site told me about an hours worth burns 445 calories. I then manually created a Vinyasa yoga option for myself. Since the class I take starts and ends with mild stretching calming exercises, I added 45 min of Vinyasa and 15 mins of Hatha/Stretching to my tracker. I felt like it better represented my actual burn.