Mold in drinks

Options
I just bought this new Special K chocolate mocha drink and when I opened it, there was black, fuzzy mold on the bottle. I'm sure that this can happen to any food. It happened to me once with orange juice, too. Ever since then, I've been careful about looking at the bottle before I drink from it. I think most people probably just open the bottle and drink from it without looking. Just an FYI.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eew. Make sure you contact Kellogg's and send in a complaint. Usually they'll send you a coupon for a free replacement.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    This happened to me with cheese. Riddled with blue mold!
  • sabur
    sabur Posts: 13
    Options
    This happened to me when I was a kid, haven't drank snapple since haha.
    I think it's something that is more common with glass containers, if the top is slightly malformed it won't be airtight and debris can get in.
    Supposedly it's harmless, but disgusting nonetheless.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

The cheese I bought had holes in it! Maybe I should take it back.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I don't see how those two things, which are intentional, relate to what I posted.

@Ninkyou I'll probably just take it back to the store.

@sabur It was in a plastic bottle, which is probably how it happened.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I don't see how those two things, which are intentional, relate to what I posted.

These two things were intentionally funny. That said, thanks for the warning. I have experienced similar things with food!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

These two things were intentionally funny. That said, thanks for the warning. I have experienced similar things with food!

Yeah, I thought the first person was joking, and went off on both of them bc I thought that the 2nd person was saying that I overreacted or it was no big deal. I thought that they were being MFP bullies. Sorry. :smile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i grabbed a bagel once and started eating it without looking at it... took a couple of bites, something felt odd in my mouth. so i looked at the bagel and sure enough, i'd bitten into a patch of fuzzy mold.

instant heaves. followed by 10-15 minutes of gargling and washing my mouth out with water. now i inspect food before i put it in my mouth.

lesson learned.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think this problem is more common than we might think and is yet another reason not to consume factory manufactured drinks. Suggest it would be better to buy the fresh ingredients and make your own drinks, yes, it's time consuming and more expensive but the bonus is that you also get to control the fat and sugar content, not to mention eliminating chemical additives!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I think this problem is more common than we might think and is yet another reason not to consume factory manufactured drinks. Suggest it would be better to buy the fresh ingredients and make your own drinks, yes, it's time consuming and more expensive but the bonus is that you also get to control the fat and sugar content, not to mention eliminating chemical additives!

i disapprove of all of these words. :angry:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Foods without preservatives grow mold a lot faster. Just sayin'.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Yeah, I thought the first person was joking, and went off on both of them bc I thought that the 2nd person was saying that I overreacted or it was no big deal. I thought that they were being MFP bullies. Sorry. :smile:

That was you going off on someone? You are very mild.
  • whierd
    Options

*unplugs your keyboard*
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Wow... I must be more Canadian than I thought. Because, I immediately 'assumed' that everyone here was spelling 'mold' wrong... that it was 'mould...' then, with a quick Google... I see that even Canadians don't seem to be able to make up their minds about this one....
  • whierd
    Options
    Canadians have a thing for throwing in unnecessary "U's" into everything.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

i grabbed a bagel once and started eating it without looking at it... took a couple of bites, something felt odd in my mouth. so i looked at the bagel and sure enough, i'd bitten into a patch of fuzzy mold.

instant heaves. followed by 10-15 minutes of gargling and washing my mouth out with water. now i inspect food before i put it in my mouth.

lesson learned.

Oh barf. I actually ate a twinkie once (while drunk). Thought it tasted a little strange. The next morning I noticed the others had little blue flecks on them. Sickening!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sense of humor is slow to develop with some folks...I totally loved the moldy cheese thing! :laugh:

I never grab food in the dark after putting a cracker in my mouth once that had ANTS on it! HATE ANTS!!!! I go ballistic on them little buggers!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't rinse off soda cans, but people have died because things like rat piss get left on the lids from the warehouses.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Canadians have a thing for throwing in unnecessary "U's" into everything.

So glad I rewrote humour for Americans.....I lived just 2 miles south of the Quebec line growing up and still write that way sometimes! It's the English too.....
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Foods without preservatives grow mold a lot faster. Just sayin'.

True story.