Going Gluten Free? good choice?

Options
I think i'm gluten intolerant. I want to go on a gluten free diet! Can anyone give me some advice on this diet? or any suggestions? I'm completely new to this! I'm eighteen and in college.

Replies

• zensugi
    Options
    Before going gluten-free get a proper medical diagnosis. Most people will not benefit of going gluten-free unless they have Celiac Disease/a strong intolerance to gluten. Your doctor should be able to provide you with appropriate information instead of relying on people peddling all sort of expensive gluten-free options, which may not help you at all with your health,
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    First figure out why you think you're gluten intolerant. Educate yourself about what gluten is and what the symptoms of gluten intolerance are.

Then go to a doctor with that list of symptoms. Get a reality check. Something else might be going on, like IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), that's sometimes linked with gluten intolerance but sometimes happens for other reasons.

THEN, if you really are gluten intolerant, you have a long list of things you can't tolerate, and those things turn up in very surprising foods. So you have to rework your methods of eating. No more pizza and beer, I am very very sorry to say.

I'm telling you to educate yourself on what the symptoms of gluten intolerance are and what gluten is because it doesn't sound like you know the basics yet. You're asking if going gluten-free is a good choice. If you're gluten-intolerant, it's pretty much the ony choice, really. If you're not gluten-intolerant, it's a very difficult way to live.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think i'm gluten intolerant. I want to go on a gluten free diet! Can anyone give me some advice on this diet? or any suggestions? I'm completely new to this! I'm eighteen and in college.

See a doctor first. They'll be able to tell you if you're gluten intolerant.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free doesn't mean you HAVE to buy all that processed gluten free crap ... just eat whole foods ... meat, dairy, eggs, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds, GF grains like quinoa (though technically not a grain) and wild/brown rice/buckwheat/etc. and you'll be fine ...

I tested negative for celiac disease, but if I eat gluten my stomach starts hurting really bad and I'll throw up ... I used to just get bloated and tired, but symptoms got worse as I got older ... I did an elimination diet and found the culprit. I'm also hypothyroid (euthyroid on proper medication), and studies seem to indicate that there is a correlation between that and gluten intolerance.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you to educate yourself on what the symptoms of gluten intolerance are and what gluten is because it doesn't sound like you know the basics yet. You're asking if going gluten-free is a good choice. If you're gluten-intolerant, it's pretty much the ony choice, really. If you're not gluten-intolerant, it's a very difficult way to live.

+1
  • pammcw
    pammcw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out "Wheat Belly," by William Davis .
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Or don't, because it's ridiculous...
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    I have never tested as gluten intolerant, but when I eat it I get dizzy and lightheaded. I certainly don't think you have to test positive on a celiac test to know that gluten isn't good for your body. I agree with people who said to do some research about gluten etc. There are a lot of people who think gluten isn't good for anyone, I tend to fall into that category, but it all depends on what you believe. I would say to try at least 2 weeks avoiding all gluten and then reintroduce it and see what your body does and how it responds. I never realized the effect certain food had on me until I eliminated them and reintroduced...it's amazing the things your body will tell you.
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you aren't showing all the symptoms of celiac disease your doctor may tell you you don't have an intolerant. Best thing is to cut out gluten for 3-4 weeks, make notes of any improvements you notice and then have some gluten after and note how you feel. Then you will have something to tell the doctor - or better yet tell yourself. However the processed gluten free products are just as crappy as all processed sugar. I used to think I couldn't live without bread and now find when I do have a slice it isn't as good as I remembered. I'm not gluten intolerant as in getting sick but I just don't enjoy it as much anymore. Pasta ? I love zucchini noodles as pasta now. If I was to go to my doctor he wouldn't find anything conclusive that I was gluten intolerant but my own research showed me that I don't enjoy gluten products so I only eat them sparingly.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can benefit from eliminating or cutting down on gluten.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did go do bloodwork that showed a gluten intolerance, but the first thing my doctor did before the bloodwork was to try going gluten free for a while to see what happens.

Personally, I don't find it particuarly difficult to follow at all if you eat whole foods and cook for yourself frequently. I feel so much better that giving up bread, pizza, beer, etc. are not a big deal to me at all. If I really missed them I could find gluten free versions, but I don't.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you aren't showing all the symptoms of celiac disease your doctor may tell you you don't have an intolerant. Best thing is to cut out gluten for 3-4 weeks, make notes of any improvements you notice and then have some gluten after and note how you feel. Then you will have something to tell the doctor - or better yet tell yourself. However the processed gluten free products are just as crappy as all processed sugar. I used to think I couldn't live without bread and now find when I do have a slice it isn't as good as I remembered. I'm not gluten intolerant as in getting sick but I just don't enjoy it as much anymore. Pasta ? I love zucchini noodles as pasta now. If I was to go to my doctor he wouldn't find anything conclusive that I was gluten intolerant but my own research showed me that I don't enjoy gluten products so I only eat them sparingly.

Soba noodle foe pasta ... they're made of buckwheat which is not like "regular" wheat and is GF ... Texture is similar to a whole wheat vermicelli ...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

It's not safe to self-diagnose. Please speak with your doctor, as gluten intolerances or allergies can cause physical problems.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Hey there!

What are your symptoms? Going gluten free is a huge life change and it's not really a smart thing to do unless you're absolutely sure that you're gluten intolerant.

The first thing I'd suggest to you is to try to get a certified medical diagnosis because life will just be easier that way. I promise, it will be soooo much easier anywhere you go and no one will question you. After that then try going gluten free regardless even if the result is negative. Just don't do the elimination diet before your test because you need to have gluten in your body for the tests to work properly, and if you do feel better off of gluten there is no way you'll want to go back to eating it just to have some test done.

I'm gluten intolerant, but all my tests came back negative and it's very inconvenient to try to explain my intolerance to anybody. People just don't believe me, but long story short, now that I'm gluten free I no longer wake up in the middle of the night crying in pain. That to me is a justifiable self-diagnosis.
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eating gluten free completely when you're not celiac can be very difficult. Not impossible but hard to maintain. I have a very good friend who is Celiac, she was terribly sick...exhausted, rash all over and stomach pains all the time. She's one year diagnosed and gluten free and doing very well. I too would suggest going to the dr and getting the blood work done..one reason being is that if for some reason you are celiac and there is damage being done to your intestines and you go gluten free before being tested then you could go undiagnosed and not get the proper care you need. Your doctor will tell you to continue on gluten until you have the blood tests done or again it is possible to get a false negative.
    If you're in college and you live on your own, you're going to need quicker meals...gluten free options are VERY expensive for the most part. I use alot of gluten free recipes just because I happen to like them and have aquired some for when we do have ones with celiac over.
    Is it necessary if you don't have Celiac or an intolerance, no..but if you feel better eating that way then go for it!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Or don't, because it's ridiculous...
    QFT
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/5-signs-your-gluten-allergy-is-fake-2/

Get tested. Gluten intolerance/sensitivities are not as common as people like to make it out to be and flaunting it about like a fad diet demeans those with serious issues to gluten.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    While it is probably better to go for a diagnosis, going GF will only really be a potential problem to your bank balance, because most of the cheap typical student food options are off limits (mac & cheese, ramen noodles, pizza, beer, etc). When I first went gluten free, I bought into many of the GF products that "imitate" wheat products and found them to be 1. more expensive in general 2. oftentimes not as "good" (flavor, texture or mouth feel was just not quite right) 3. not always as healthy as the wheat products (or, at any rate, just as bad in terms of calories, nutritional value, sugar/fat content).

You will NOT probably lose weight JUST because you avoid gluten. If you consume too many calories relative to what you burn each day, you WILL gain weight, no matter if the calorie sources include gluten or not. Many of the GF "replacement foods" have more calories per serving than the wheat/barley version - you need to be mindful of that.

That said, it IS possible to eat GF without spending a fortune and eat healthy at the same time. Emphasize "whole" fruits and vegetables in your diet (watch out for sauces that may contain some form of gluten). Meat is "generally" safe, but some items, like frozen chicken "may" be processed using a broth containing gluten. Corn, rice, quinoa, buckwheat are generally safe (some people have multiple intolerances, so...). Oats are borderline - some people w/ gluten intolerance are OK with it, some can only tolerate certified GF varieties and some can't eat oats at all. Read labels very carefully, Gluten is hidden in lots of things - soy sauce, soup, gravy, etc. Some items may or may not be GF, like "modified food starch" - only "safe" if the source is specified and it's not wheat or barley.

I eat a lot of rice cakes (with some risk or arsenic contamination) and corn torillas/tostadas/taco shells when I want something "sort of like" a "sandwich".

Do your research. There's a lot of information on the net. It is a lot of work to avoid gluten, though it gets a bit easier over time as you find brands you tolerate. It is too much work to do though if you don't need to, so...
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free by choice not for any medical reason, and I love it.

I never buy any of those fake substitutes that are just tapioca starch or rice flour or *blech*.

For grains I still eat oats and rice and some corn.

For sweets I still eat chocolate and ice cream.

All that it really changed for me is I eat my burgers with knife & fork, I don't do pasta, don't do breakfast cereal.

It was super easy to just cut out all that "stuff". There's nothing that flour-based products give me nutrition-wise that I can't get better elsewhere.

I've played around with zucchini lasagna and meatza and mashed cauliflower, but that's just having fun in the kitchen.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free can be a fad if you are going gluten free because someone said it is bad for you. Going can be as silly a thing to do as going "low carb" or "low fat" if you don't really understand why you are doing it.

With that said, we are a family of 6. My oldest daughter and I are Gluten Free Dairy Free. Neither of us exhibit the typical digestive symptoms of a gluten intolerance but we had some thyroid issues. We did go to a doctor who admittedly is rather alternative in his approaches. He did some testing on us and identified food sensitivities and suggested we significantly limit our wheat and dairy. I have gone from nearly being given thyroid medications and being prescribed a 7th different kind of Birth Control to control hormonal issues to being completely medication free. My daughter is experiencing similar improvements for her issues. I have not made the rest of the family of GFDF but I would. You are not doing any harm to eat rice instead of pasta or corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.