Am i on starvation mode?

Options
I have started cutting down like 4 months and have lost like 37 pounds,i know its a huge amount but considering i am a mesomorph and have fast metabolism idk if its unhealthy huge.I was on 500-600 calories deficit for the first 1 and half months and later started eating fewer and have setted a goal of eating 1500 cals a day.Sometimes i ate lesser because of some reasons like i was busy and stuff.I've noticed the lack of energy while on the diet.I had big loss in fat for the first 1-3 months(muscles too unfortunately,ah i was too impatient)but now recently i guess i have more fat in my body.Most probably i went to starvation mode or something and gain fat.But i am not sure.Now i am eating a 1600cal per day diet and its 20% deficit from maintenance.What should i be doing?Should i go to a maintenance diet for sometime or continue the 1600cal diet?I want to loose the fat obviously which i guess i gained but i don't want to be unhealthy.Here are my stats if its needed:

Age-18,almost 19.
Height-5 ft 7

Weight at starting-178
current weight- 141

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    You're not fat at 141 and 5'7". When I was your age I was around 136 at 5.6". When I went into the military and got fit my weight went up to around 145 and no way was I fat. I think you need to forget dieting and the scales and work out and do weights to improve the structure of your body. You'll have to eat more if you do.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have started cutting down like 4 months and have lost like 37 pounds,i know its a huge amount but considering i am a mesomorph and have fast metabolism idk if its unhealthy huge.I was on 500-600 calories deficit for the first 1 and half months and later started eating fewer and have setted a goal of eating 1500 cals a day.Sometimes i ate lesser because of some reasons like i was busy and stuff.I've noticed the lack of energy while on the diet.I had big loss in fat for the first 1-3 months(muscles too unfortunately,ah i was too impatient)but now recently i guess i have more fat in my body.Most probably i went to starvation mode or something and gain fat.But i am not sure.Now i am eating a 1600cal per day diet and its 20% deficit from maintenance.What should i be doing?Should i go to a maintenance diet for sometime or continue the 1600cal diet?I want to loose the fat obviously which i guess i gained but i don't want to be unhealthy.Here are my stats if its needed:

Age-18,almost 19.
    Height-5 ft 7

Weight at starting-178
    current weight- 141

If I understand your situation correctly, it's a little upsetting to me. If you are male, as your profile says, you're still growing. You are not at all overweight, and you need to be maintaining or gaining. You may not need to gain other than your normal growth, but you might be more satisfied with your physique (if you build some muscle) than you are now. If you still feel overweight, you should talk to a therapist. I'm a female who's just under 5'3", and that would be near the top of the healthy weight range even for me.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • Svszz
    Svszz Posts: 30
    Options
  • Svszz
    Options
    I am thinking of getting into a lower bf level like 10 and stay at that,because for my height i am already muscular and it would look silly if i get more muscular if u know what i mean.So i just want to maintain my current lean mass on 10% bf but i am not sure if its healthy for my age.Any suggestion?
  • Svszz
    Options

Age-18,almost 19.
    Height-5 ft 7

Weight at starting-178
    current weight- 141

If I understand your situation correctly, it's a little upsetting to me. If you are male, as your profile says, you're still growing. You are not at all overweight, and you need to be maintaining or gaining. You may not need to gain other than your normal growth, but you might be more satisfied with your physique (if you build some muscle) than you are now. If you still feel overweight, you should talk to a therapist. I'm a female who's just under 5'3", and that would be near the top of the healthy weight range even for me.

I know the question seems anorexic lol.No its just i want to shred the fat at some part of my body which is important for me now.I have bad fat deposition.It's like i am fit but still got them butts and hip/lovehandles.Its quite faminine.But i could stop if its necessary at any point.And no i don't think i need to add more muscle because i already am quite muscular for my age(12.7% body fat).Its those certain areas of fat i need to loose in order to get that ripped look.But spot reduction is impossible so my only option is loosing fat overall and thats why i am concerned with more weight loss.Thanks anyways :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1. Somatotypes are a myth, there's no such thing as a mesomorph.

2. 141 at 5'7 is in the middle of the healthy weight range, if you're looking to drop from 13 to 10% body fat, a 20% deficit is way too aggressive. Much better idea is to eat at maintenance and work on strength training to do a slow recomp, especially seeing as you're 18 and still growing.

3. I doubt you're too muscular at 5'7 and 141 pounds. I'm 5'7 and 195 pounds at 18% body fat. If I cut to 10% body fat I'd still weigh 175 pounds. Don't worry about adding muscle. It sounds more like body dismorphia issues more than anything else.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You are not in starvation mode. You may have some AT. You are an 18 year old male. Eat more, get active, do some strength training.
  • Svszz
    Options
    1. Somatotypes are a myth, there's no such thing as a mesomorph.

2. 141 at 5'7 is in the middle of the healthy weight range, if you're looking to drop from 13 to 10% body fat, a 20% deficit is way too aggressive. Much better idea is to eat at maintenance and work on strength training to do a slow recomp, especially seeing as you're 18 and still growing.

3. I doubt you're too muscular at 5'7 and 141 pounds. I'm 5'7 and 195 pounds at 18% body fat. If I cut to 10% body fat I'd still weigh 175 pounds. Don't worry about adding muscle. It sounds more like body dismorphia issues more than anything else.

I am not sure if i am a complete meso but i have a fast metabolism and thats what i was saying.I am not too muscular its just i look big for my weight(i want to look lean and toned),i know its not fat and if its not muscle its the frame size then but 141 at 12 is not not-muscular in a sense of having something and its that which is right for me and adding more muscle would make me look weird,you know what i mean so cutting down to 10 would look nice.And yea i think i should maintain considering i am still growing but is there any good chance of just cutting down to 10 then maintaining it?cut for sometime maybe a few months?cuss i would like to loose some extra fat and look better and 10 would be ideal for it.
  • Svszz
    Options
    You are not in starvation mode. You may have some AT. You are an 18 year old male. Eat more, get active, do some strength training.

AT?But if i wasn't on starvation mode then what made me to gain those extra fat when i never ate excess calories..?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

AT?But if i wasn't on starvation mode then what made me to gain those extra fat when i never ate excess calories..?

Starvation mode doesn't make you gain weight, it means you won't lose weight. And it only occurs in those with a very low bf% after months of an extremely low calorie intake.

If you gained weight, it was either water weight which is easily lost and regularly fluctuates or you actually gained fat by overestimating exercise calories or underestimating food calories or both.
  • Svszz
    Options

Starvation mode doesn't make you gain weight, it means you won't lose weight. And it only occurs in those with a very low bf% after months of an extremely low calorie intake.

If you gained weight, it was either water weight which is easily lost and regularly fluctuates or you actually gained fat by overestimating exercise calories or underestimating food calories or both.

Thanks.I take the second one,ate more somehow or underestimated food calories.Food can cheat you sometimes it seems :D
  • Svszz
    Options
    Much better idea is to eat at maintenance and work on strength training to do a slow recomp, especially seeing as you're 18 and still growing.

Can you loose bf gradually with maintenance and strength training?i guess you need to do cardio too,right?
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 11 and last year dropped to 127lbs and was continuing to lose weight/BF. as soon as I tried any sort of proper calorie intake my weight and BF shot up, that's more similar to starvation mode, what you need to do is gradually increase your calories and lift some weights
  • Svszz
    Options
    I'm 5' 11 and last year dropped to 127lbs and was continuing to lose weight/BF. as soon as I tried any sort of proper calorie intake my weight and BF shot up, that's more similar to starvation mode, what you need to do is gradually increase your calories and lift some weights

About how much per week?Also i have a question.Is it ok for me to loose bf and hit 10% on a calorie deficit diet?Or should i be eating a maintenance diet and do cardio to loose?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    +10000000000000000
    This lady is super smart. Listen to her.
    Someone else noted you are still growing. You have to eat to grow. It is a distinct possibility that you may be doing yourself longer term harm, including stunting your own growth. Talk to a professional (which I am not), but you should be eating closer to 2k calories & high protein IMHO. Boys do not complete puberty until early 20's, so please eat more and worry about the "love handles" later (which I cannot imagine you have at your stats). Lift weights, young man.
  • Svszz
    Options
    +10000000000000000
    This lady is super smart. Listen to her.
    Someone else noted you are still growing. You have to eat to grow. It is a distinct possibility that you may be doing yourself longer term harm, including stunting your own growth. Talk to a professional (which I am not), but you should be eating closer to 2k calories & high protein IMHO. Boys do not complete puberty until early 20's, so please eat more and worry about the "love handles" later (which I cannot imagine you have at your stats). Lift weights, young man.

I know i know dieting while growing is harmful but i was thinking of a small term diet to loose those bit of fat(i got obsessed with it lol)while working out and get that shredded look but after some searching through the net i found out it is actually the lack of muscle mass for my height,the opposite of what i thought(i got it all wrong lol)which is giving that love handle or fatty look. I still don't know if a small term diet like 1-2 month do any harm but i guess i should be working on building muscles rather than loosing more fat since everyone recommends that.My diet always included a fair amount of carb and protein though but few calories.Thanks for your time. :)
  • Svszz
    Options
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Getting to 10% bf is hard and takes a long time. Many athletes stay in the 12-15% range. You need to be on an effective workout regimen and proper diet. If you just diet like you did to get to 141 lbs, then you'll drop lean body mass with weight and never get there.

It's not unhealthy to lift weights, exercise, or diet at 18, provided you do it intelligently.

There are tons of workout routines on the web, but I have to ask why don't you play any team sports?

PS 1600 cal is my net at 157 lbs to lose 1 lb/week, so at 141 you'll probably need 1400-1500 net to continue losing.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE maintenance level, eat at that, make sure you're getting lots of protein, hit the weight room. It is literally impossible to make yourself lose fat from just one place, but you can recomposition your body (to a point) with strength training, which causes you to burn fat while preserving lean muscle mass. You won't bulk up or add muscle without purposefully trying because that takes a LOT of work and a surplus diet. You will shed some flab and firm up those places you're worried about.

What in the world is up with all the 18 year olds starving themselves on here lately? Note: I'm not saying you're in "starvation mode", but you are undereating and it isn't going to help the problem you're describing.