1 minute plank

Options

Replies

• red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone!:drinker:

I scroll to a nice 3 or 4 minute song on my phone and plank the entire time. I switch up the position to face front/back then one hip tilted toward floor, etc. Helps to break up the monotony. Keep working towards it - A strong core is the key foundation for fitness and stamina
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1 min 30 sec. Wow, I haven't done planks in 11 months. I was not expecting to exceed 20 seconds just now. My back is killing me now though and it gave me a headache lol. Feel like a damn old lady! Totally worth it. Thanks for posting about this. You've inspired me to start pushing myself harder again.

I like the idea that some of you have, about holding that plank for the entire length of a song. I will make that a goal to reach someday soon.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I can do a minute, but haven't tried longer. My trainer has me doing 3 sets of 15 ball crunches followed immediately by a 1 minute plank, with a 30 second rest in between. By the third set I'm really feeling it when I get to a minute.
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did my first minute tonight! And I did three sets of them. Have been doing mostly swimming up till now and I have started to add core training.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    I am noticing that most responses on here are saying 1 minute at a time.... Is it bad to go over a minute?? Will it cause damage to the body or be less effective by doing more than a minute at a time?

in my opinion it is just a waste of time, like lifting 1Kg dumbells 500 times or running on a treadmill with no incline.

if you can last 60 secs put on a weight jacket or a backpack with water bottles in it :)
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    A week ago I posted saying I could only get to about 40 seconds... this thread inspired me to go further and now I'm able to do 60 seconds regularly. Ready to push myself toward 2 minutes next.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I was in ROTC we had to do 10-15min planks. It sucked lol.
    Jeez, did they at least let you read while you were doing that?
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I built up to almost 7 minutes. Took a few weeks to get there. My !5 year old sports mad son could match me but he can do press ups, which I sure can't
    For some reason I stopped and haven't done them since. Maybe I need to start over, But not press ups. Never press ups. :sad:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I did it for 11 minutes once to see if I could go longer than 10 minutes, but I don't think there is much point in planking longer than a minute. If you can do a minute, I think it's time to add some dynamic core moves. I probably exited my mother's womb in the plank position - never had to work at it, unlike many other ab exercises that I find very difficult, like the hanging leg raise.
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just tried and see how long I can do it. I was able to do 1 minute too. My body started feeling the shakes after 30 seconds though. This is something I need to build up. :)
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I go for a minute, though I can hold it longer.
    My 3 times a week workout includes 2 or 3 sets of 1 minute planks.
  • JuliMagenta
    JuliMagenta Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just did my Ab Challenge for today - had to do a 40sec plank. I did it, but it was hard. My body started shaking after 10seconds. But I made it :)
    Hopefully I can do a 2min plank at the end of the challenge :)
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    One minute Plank is my limit so far......
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I built up to almost 7 minutes. Took a few weeks to get there. My !5 year old sports mad son could match me but he can do press ups, which I sure can't
    For some reason I stopped and haven't done them since. Maybe I need to start over, But not press ups. Never press ups. :sad:

You should try again with the press ups. In July I could only do one, then physically not be able to get myself off the ground again. Now I can do 12, and it feels so great. You might surprise yourself, and it stops one minute planks being so BORING!
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day plank challenge and worked from 10 seconds to 3.5 minutes, although I prefer to not go above 2 minutes (hip/lower back problem from childbirth agitated from holding it too long)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My current record is 3.04 minutes and I'm aiming for longer. This time last year I could barely do one for three seconds and now I can do many of the advanced moves like the side plank with one arm and the plank where you go from your elbows & back up to your arms and repeat.

Keep doing them to help build your upper body and core strength. I started off doing planks on the wall followed by doing personal daily challenges and would do random planks around my house. Before I knew it I was getting better and better.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. Now, I'm inspired to check. :)
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When I was in ROTC we had to do 10-15min planks. It sucked lol.

For the love of all things colorful! 15 min planks :noway: :huh: I cannot fathom it. Here I was thinking I was doin' something because I can go over two minutes.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I'm still doing my "one minute plank" in about 5 parts, haha.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Well i haven't done planks for a while now, but i was challenge by a guy at work for a plank off haha. He dropped at 3 mins, i got out 3min 30secs. So i pretty happy with that, as when i did use to do them i would only do 3 sets of 1 min, so i never new how long i could hold for
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!