Despondent o' Clock

Options
Sigh.

I weighed myself last Sunday morning, and I'd lost 4lbs in 2 weeks, having exercised more than I had in a long while - cue feeling happy.

The end of the week - start of this last week, I had a bad cold, and exercised less, but have kept my gross calorie intake under 2,100, and my average for the week has been around 1,800 (I'm 6ft 4, 240lbs).

I've gained 3 lbs.

Both instances were same time of day, both on empty stomach, scales in same place.

Sure, my cold may have affected it, but a 3lb gain in a week where I've logged everything? It's times like this I want to give up.

/RantOver

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week weight loss is excellent and just about right.

dont worry about fluctuations like that. your weight will not go at a straight line going down every week.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sigh.

I weighed myself last Sunday morning, and I'd lost 4lbs in 2 weeks, having exercised more than I had in a long while - cue feeling happy.

The end of the week - start of this last week, I had a bad cold, and exercised less, but have kept my gross calorie intake under 2,100, and my average for the week has been around 1,800 (I'm 6ft 4, 240lbs).

I've gained 3 lbs.

Both instances were same time of day, both on empty stomach, scales in same place.

Sure, my cold may have affected it, but a 3lb gain in a week where I've logged everything? It's times like this I want to give up.

/RantOver

It's only 2 weeks! Stick with it! You'll get weeks like this - just log it and over time (more than two weeks) you'll have lots of data to study to understand your patterns. And a lot of things can influence the scales apart from fat coming off or going on. Just keep going, measure, weigh and log your food, your exercise, and believe you'll get there. :smile:
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options

/RantOver

I understand completely how you feel. I started running 3x a week and when I went to weigh myself, I gained 10LBS in a few days. But, my body measurements have not gone up, they're still going down. You're actually making good progress, don't rely on that scale for reinforcement!! It's just a data point. KEEP GOING! This is a process, keep your head up and don't give up!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started T25, gained weight, and then stalled for almost 3 weeks. Talk about demoralizing. Then, my body adjusted and my weight started moving in the right direction. It's hard, but focus less on the scale and more on how you feel. The loss will come as long as you run a calorie deficit.

There are days I log 1200 or 1300 calories and the next day I see a 2 pound gain. We all know that's impossible, but it's always a shock when I see it. I just sigh and know that in a day or two it will correct itself. Just keep going.
  • maliciouspenguin
    maliciouspenguin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. In the hope I'd see something positive, I weighed myself today after a 90 minute bike ride and 3 hour walk over the last two days.. and I've gained 2lbs "/

I want to throw the scales out, but a) I like seeing the numbers change, b) when I lost the weight last time it was a nice gentle flow downwards.

ARGH!
  • maliciouspenguin
    Options
    That's it, I'm binning the scales.

Since exercising more, I've gained 5lbs of fat in 2-3 weeks. I'll keep going on MFP, I hope, but I refuse to track my weight etc; I'll get obsessed, upset, and probably in a worse place than ever before.

It just makes me wonder, what the hell is the point.

I don't care if it registers a gain, but when the bodyfat increases? Absolutely ridiculous.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with the scales, I love them when they show a loss and hate them when they stay the same!!

Have you taken your measurements from all over and checked to see if you've lost inches??

DON'T GIVE UP - at the end of the day, by continuing to eat healthy and exercise you are getting fitter - I think this is so much more important than what the scales say.

Sometimes my scales don't move for 2 weeks but my clothes feel and look a lot looser.

Stick with it, you must be feeling better in yourself so why go back to bad eating habits and being miserable?!!!!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    That's it, I'm binning the scales.

Since exercising more, I've gained 5lbs of fat in 2-3 weeks. I'll keep going on MFP, I hope, but I refuse to track my weight etc; I'll get obsessed, upset, and probably in a worse place than ever before.

It just makes me wonder, what the hell is the point.

I don't care if it registers a gain, but when the bodyfat increases? Absolutely ridiculous.

If you have a scale that supposedly measures body fat ignore it, it is influenced by too many other factors to be accurate. Try a tape measure instead.
  • maliciouspenguin
    Options
    Hey Tina,

whilst I haven't taken measurements, my jeans/tops are looser than before. I'm not giving up, but I'm just setting a calorie limit, and sticking with that. I might just weigh myself in boots every now and again, but it's about fitting into my clothes - I'm not letting my actual weight derail that.