oatmeal versus cheerios

Options
I was in the grocery store this morning picking up my oatmeal. The had an 11 pound bag/5 kilo for $12.49 , right beside oatmeal were boxes of Cherrios on sale for $3.99 a box for 1.5pound or 685 kilos. Speaking in approx. terms it would have cost me roughly $12 for 4.5 pounds of Cherrios.

So when I cook up a cup of oats with water the volume of expands , I get about 3 cups of breakfast out that amount
With the Cherrios a cup is a cup.

For cherrios to match the volume of cooked oatmeal I would need to buy about 3 times as much.

So for starters:
To come close to the 11 pounds of oats I would have to buy 7 boxes of Cherrios.
at $3.99 that works out to approx. $28.00
But since cooking 11 pounds of oats with water expands the volume of cereal I am getting by about 3 times, I will have to buy more Cherrios to match the volume so now I am up to $84.00

So $84 Dollars of Cherrios to $12.49 of Rolled oats {15minute variety} saves me approx. $71.50

Now $71.50 can buy me fresh salmon, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, yogurt and milk , raw almonds, ground beef, etc.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cheerios are full of other junk too though. With oatmeal you only get oatmeal.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen someone recommend Cheerios over oats before --- was this a choice you'd been hemming and hawing about before doing the math OP?
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The key to me is I need 2 servings of cheerios to hold me over till lunch but only one serving of oatmeal. So in terms of saving calories oatmeal wins.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    love the math!!!!
    whole grains versus REAL whole grains!!!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The key to me is I need 2 servings of cheerios to hold me over till lunch but only one serving of oatmeal. So in terms of saving calories oatmeal wins.

Well Cherrios are processed therefore break down faster so you will be hungrier that much sooner so using your example a 4 hour mileage out of a serving of oatmeal versus a 2 hour mileage out of Cherrios meaning I will now need a second bowl of the stuff means I am doubling the cost again for Cherrios so all in all

a $12.49 of 11 pound/5 kilo bag of cereal will give me as much energy as $168.00 of Cherrios.

That makes the real savings $155. 50 savings by the eating the oatmeal.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    But what about all the tasty flavors of Cheerios?

Cheerios (1941)
    Honey Nut Cheerios (1979) (see above)
    Apple Cinnamon Cheerios (1988)
    MultiGrain Cheerios (Original in the UK) (released 1992, relaunched 2009)
    Frosted Cheerios (1995)
    Yogurt Burst Cheerios (2005)
    Fruity Cheerios (2006) (Cheerios sweetened with fruit juice)
    Oat Cluster Crunch Cheerios (2007) (sweetened Cheerios with oat clusters)
    Banana Nut Cheerios (2009) (sweetened Cheerios made with banana puree)
    Chocolate Cheerios (2010) (Cheerios made with cocoa)
    Cinnamon Burst Cheerios (2011) (Cheerios made with cinnamon)
    Dulce de Leche Cheerios (2012) (sweetened Cheerios made with caramel)
    MultiGrain Peanut Butter Cheerios (2012) (Multigrain Cheerios with sorghum, not wheat, and peanut butter)

Here's something I've observed from my short time at MFP. There seems to be certain fairly recent joiners, who post a lot of 'info,' frequently.... hyping their new found lifestyle. While there's probably nothing inherently 'wrong' with this.... it tends to make me think that some people need to try to 'sell' others on their new path, to convince themselves that they are doing the right thing. Much like new 'converts' to religions. No offense intended to any recent devotees to any religion.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for me since there is oatmeal that is gluten free.
    Now if you made me choose between Cinnamon Chex cereal and oatmeal.....well...actually I'd still go with the oatmeal. It's more filling and versatile to more ingredients depending on my mood.

Yeah, oatmeal is my choice too.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Oats are the best cereal, I have no doubt. I need some variety, though. So, I keep some oats, some Cheerios, and some store-brand bran flakes on hand. Then I pick one as my fickle mood dictates.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, I choose whether to have oats or one of the others based on what I feel like adding. If I want to slice in a banana, it'll be the Cheerios or the bran flakes; if I want to toss in raisins, then oats. I suppose it's quite possible to add banana to oats, or raisins to Cheerios or bran flakes, but that would just seem wrong to me. My wife thinks I run along in a pretty narrow little rut. Could be she's right.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Cheerios (1941)
    Frosted Cheerios (1995)
    MultiGrain Peanut Butter Cheerios (2012) (Multigrain Cheerios with sorghum, not wheat, and peanut butter)

Here's something I've observed from my short time at MFP. There seems to be certain fairly recent joiners, who post a lot of 'info,' frequently.... hyping their new found lifestyle. While there's probably nothing inherently 'wrong' with this.... it tends to make me think that some people need to try to 'sell' others on their new path, to convince themselves that they are doing the right thing. Much like new 'converts' to religions. No offense intended to any recent devotees to any religion.

I've not been on here long, but when I've been watching my food for a while. I think it's the 'Eureka!' effect. It's something that JUST hit them and they feel they MUST share it! I don't mind it, really. I feel like if ONE person reads it and has their own 'AH HA!' moment, it may very well be worth it. Because I hear ALL THE TIME how expensive it is to eat well. I don't eat perfectly, but I do ok most days but I still hear how expensive it is.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Makes me start thinking about the other foods we can apply this type of math to, the oatmeal does go alot farther for alot less $$$.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    oatmeal > everything
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    Hi James , in the not to short past I had boxed cereal in my home. Cheerios, Bran Flakes, and Granola were my choices back then, I would use them as a snack food in the evening.
    They had to go.

Yesterday was when I took notice of the price difference of amount in weight and volume I was getting out the oatmeal and calculated I would need at least 21 boxes of Cheerios to make up for a large bag of rolled oats.
  • garciabnm
    Options

Cheerios (1941)
    Frosted Cheerios (1995)

I never thought of it like this. But it makes total sence.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are mornings I get up and say "I'm going to cook myself x or y" and there are mornings I just can't cope with the stove or microwave. Or even a toaster. And there are mornings I'm just bored with what I've been eating. Or that I have blueberries or bananas around that are soon to be past their prime. Or that I haven't been getting enough dairy in my diet and that carton of milk will have to go down the drain in a couple of more days. Or that I have to be out of the house in 2 minutes. These are the days when a boxed cereal takes its place in my breakfast routine.

Budget isn't at the top of my mind when choosing foods, but I like that you've demonstrated that eating healthy need not be expensive compared to less healthy eating. The real savings comes substituting your own labor (i.e., cooking) for that of a manufacturer or restaurant cook. If you can avoid having too much waste, then raw ingredients are generally pretty inexpensive on a per-serving basis.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

And some have nothing to do but read internet crap and repost it so we can all be "saved" from our wicked food habits.
  • Minnie2361
    Options

And some have nothing to do but read internet crap and repost it so we can all be "saved" from our wicked food habits.

Ah Mokey glad to see your up and about , you have nice day now.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the shoe fits.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but it sounds like oatmeal is the cheaper of the choices and so long as you don't miss the delicious flavor of the Cheerios, then just go with the oats.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like your initial analysis there, OP, and it's difficult to argue with. I think that cold cereal must be a very profitable food item or there wouldn't be so much money poured into advertising for it. That said, I love Cheerios, particularly the sugar laden Honey Nut variety. You have to find the balance between cost/value and personal enjoyment. That will be quite different for everyone.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Cherries are good but empty calories, in my opinion, but oats are delicious and wholesome and much better for you.