oatmeal versus cheerios

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Cherries are good but empty calories, in my opinion, but oats are delicious and wholesome and much better for you.

honey-nut-cheerios-nutrition-information.jpg

So what about this is empty calories again? Is it the 25% Iron, 3g protein, 115mg potassium....what?
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's oatmeal hands down.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal YUCK! unless of course it has butter and brown sugar in it. Honey Nut Cheerios on the other hand YUMMY! I don't care how cheap it is to eat oatmeal, it tastes like sawdust!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've never been fond of "wet" cereal (cereal with milk added). It is against my "religion" to pay "$5 for 50 cents" worth of ingredients. What I have been doing lately is take my serving of old-fashioned oats and adding "craisons" and nuts and whatever else I feel like (and fits into my macros) and voila, I have museli. I could add milk to that if I wanted, I suppose, but I much prefer it dry.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Cherries are good but empty calories, in my opinion, but oats are delicious and wholesome and much better for you.

So what about this is empty calories again? Is it the 25% Iron, 3g protein, 115mg potassium....what?

How about the 9g of sugar in 28g Cheerio portion? I would say right there are your empty cals.

Oatmeal over processed cereals any day. But that's my opinion.

To the original poster: Had to laugh at your calculations. But your thought are so true. :smile:
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well Cherrios are processed therefore break down faster...
    Huh?
    so you will be hungrier that much sooner so using your example a 4 hour mileage out of a serving of oatmeal versus a 2 hour mileage out of Cherrios meaning I will now need a second bowl of the stuff means I am doubling the cost again for Cherrios so all in all

a $12.49 of 11 pound/5 kilo bag of cereal will give me as much energy as $168.00 of Cherrios.

That makes the real savings $155. 50 savings by the eating the oatmeal.
    Yea, but you already factored this into your initial calculations.

I don't think that tripling the cost because the food has more volume when cooked is the right way to go. I could drink 8 oz of water after I eat a serving of cheerios and achieve the same effect in my stomach as eating oatmeal saturated with water (or milk). It's about how much you actually have to eat to get your nutrition.

If you're able to actually only eat 1 serving of cereal vs 1 serving of oatmeal and feel satisfied until lunch (or if you eat 2 vs 2), the oatmeal is still a better bang for the buck but not 3x better.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Yeah, but look at the list of ingredients. It's processed grain with added sugar, honey, oil, and a multivitamin.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

How about the 9g of sugar in 28g Cheerio portion? I would say right there are your empty cals.

To the original poster: Had to laugh at your calculations. But your thought are so true. :smile:

So magically the sugar negates everything else? that's the only way that'd make this empty so has to be true.

Seems legit
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Makes me start thinking about the other foods we can apply this type of math to, the oatmeal does go alot farther for alot less $$$.

Yes, I hear people complaining about how much it costs to "eat healthy" and using it as an excuse to buy "cheap" processed junk food. I have cooked most of my food from scratch for years and I don't find it to be that expensive.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options

We're getting out of whack over 9g of sugar? Pfft.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    oatmeal > everything
    + a gazillion. The best food for any weight loss plan, for any bulking plan, for any reason whatsoever. It's been a staple for body builders for generations. Oh, and it is also great for your heart as well. It is the complete package.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Holy damn, I hate math.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I need more filling food in the morning than cereal. But im not into oatmeal in the mornings (I'm weird I like it as a savory side dish) and I only eat cereal for dessert, its not to filling and it taste good.:laugh:
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Someone on mfp once suggested that she adds an egg and some plain yogurt to her oatmeal. Sounded awful, but I had to try it. Really good afterall and adds that protein many of us want more of.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for sure - with...
    raisins if I am in the mood
    milk, or
    brown sugar
    or...
    cinnamon or
    by itself.

Oatmeal is the best :blushing:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Holy damn, I hate math.

Then, just remember this.... Sugar is the Devil's work.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Holy damn, I hate math.

RollingEyes1.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Holy damn, I hate math.

RollingEyes1.gif

^ This. I'm saying it with a glass of bourbon in my hand and not a martini (yes really), but the eye roll is the same. Unless you have a medical reason, cut your sweet tooth some slack.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal a lot, but sometimes I just want some cereal in some icy cold milk. And it makes a great bedtime snack, too.

You didn't convince me that I need to give up Cheerios, sorry. (Or any other food for that matter). And you know what? I just finished eating a *worth every penny and calorie* Snickers bar. Yum. :drinker:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for sure - with...
    raisins if I am in the mood
    milk, or
    brown sugar
    or...
    cinnamon or
    by itself.

Oatmeal is the best :blushing:

So if you add sugar to oatmeal that's different than there being sugar in Cheerios? The only way I can gag down oatmeal is if I add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar to it so it kind of defeats the purpose of choosing the "healthy" choice especially since sugar is going to kill us all.