Fitbit Owners...Great or not?

Options
HI there, I've just been doing some research on the Fitbit...I'm wondering, are they as accurate as they claim and therefore worth buying? My history with weight loss has been long, I lost 80lbs and kept it off for 8 years! Then became sick and a combination of medication and fatigue added to a 40 lb weight gain:sad: I'm very active however am also a homeschooling mom so don't have alot of time to do routined/concrete workouts, my exercise comes alot from my daily activities so I would love to be able to keep track of it accurately!

Replies

• carolhwitz
    carolhwitz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I don't care if it is 100% accurate (it's a whole lot more accurate than the cheap ones I've bought in the past) because it keeps me motivated. I am trying to figure out how to link it to MFP.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my Fitbit One - yesterday it even survived a trip through the washing machine. It seems much more accurate than my previous pedometer (a freebie from years ago that clicks with every step).

I have an iphone 4 so the app won't work for me, but it works great on my computer. I sync after dinner which works out good for me since I use it to "earn" dessert and if I don't want dessert I get a nice deficit - but that is rare... with walking about 13,000 steps on an average work day I earn back 300 - 475 calories depending on 'how' I walked all those steps.

I do not use the sleep mode as I have no problems sleeping and am well aware when I have to get up and pee.

It syncs very well with MFP.

LOVE IT and I think it is well worth it for me. It is definitely a motivating factor for my day. "Crap, it's noon and I've only gone 4,000 steps - if I want dessert tonight I better walk the long way home..."
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I compared mine over a 24hour period with my Heart Rate monitor and there was only 60 cals difference between them, so over all pretty accurate I would say.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I did have problems at first syncing with this site, but for the last few weeks it's worked great. It basically gives me my tdee which is nice. It also adjusts my calories to eat depending on how much I burn. The last two week I have been trying to eat the amount it gives me and I have still lost!
  • duckgirlpdx
    Options
    I have the fitbit Zip and I love it! It goes in my pocket and tracks steps wonderfully. If I'm not wearing pants with pockets, I slip it on my bra and it tracks great as well. I'm not sure if the calories are exact, but I think it's close enough. It definitely motivates me to get to my target steps, and it syncs beautifully with MFP. I haven't gone a day without it in over 3 months. Definitely worth the 70 bucks.
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit One!!! I'm so glad I made the investment!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Fitbit Flex. I would highly recommend it.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Love my One
  • craftykat12
    craftykat12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, well worth the money, if something happens to it I will order another one.
  • stryla
    stryla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip and just hook it to my bra every day. Dont have to worry about it all day at work. I would suggest using the food and exercise calculators on this site vs the fitbit site as the ones here are better. Since I got my fitbit, i set my goal to 3 miles a day and have reached it every day since August 9th.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've been a Fitbit fan for over three years. I've now picked them up for my two oldest sons, both my parents. My mom bought one for my brother, he he's liked it so much he's getting another for his wife. We're a Fitbit Family.

For the amount of data, and the visuals/graphs, I say it is well worth it.
    I did a post on my blog showing all you get with the Fitbit
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and I LOVE it, definitely worth the money - I wouldn't be without it now.
  • bostonmom23
    bostonmom23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one and it has been one of the best fitness purchases I have ever made! It has motivated me to do 15k steps a day where I was probably 7-8k a day.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex. Love it! Surprised to find out how much I actually burn daily. I recommend it for sure! :)
  • rondabug
    Options
    I'm hooked on Fitbit Flex-I absolutely love it! Get a few friends to "compare" your progress to on the fitbit homepage and it becomes all the more motivating. Anyone want a fit bit friend, I am rondabug. One other thing I love: the Flex is waterproof. I wear it swimming and in the shower with no/problems whatsoever.
  • JimontheBeach
    JimontheBeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love it. Syncs great with mfp. I screwed it up by entering exercise in both one day but just waited out the mix up. I used one in my pocket and hated it when i forgot it. Now I wear a flex and never take it off. I am down 49 pounds since 1 May and I follow the calorie recommendations of mfp to the letter (number) and always automatically take into account my activity level via fitbit. I actually hope it underestimates my activity so I eat less on the safe side. I shooting for another 51 pounds and am counting on my fitbit to be on my wrist the whole way. read the instructions to link it up with mfp and then read them all again and then link it up. its a great tool. and when I made the exercise logging error the customer support was the best I've ever had (email back within a day) and with clear instructions on what I did wrong and what I should do to not have problems in the future.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I gave mine away, but sounds great for you. I am an avid exerciser, I run regularly long distances and bike also. I cross train, do yoga, keep moving, but I work a desk job so I wanted something accurate for my calorie counts. With as much fitness related movement as I do, it was not accurate in any way shape or form. I would run 15 miles, it would say I burned 700 calories my HRM would show calories over 200 So I gave mine away to someone who could use it more beneficially. I like the sleep tracking feature a lot and the vibrating alarm was great. But as far as accuracy, for me I never found it too helpful.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love my Flex. It syncs well with MFP , my phone and computer. Seems to be pretty accurate; I had to change the setting to wearing it on my dominant hand (though I keep it on my non-dominant hand ) as it seemed to track too much movement (for ex. when I was driving it counted some steps) . When I looked through the online manual, it recommended to change the setting if this happens and that change took care of the problem.
  • kimmck
    kimmck Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Does it track running? I want to track my daily walk/run.
  • TinyTeTe
    TinyTeTe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and Love it!

Yes, it tracks running. It detects intensity.

I also have have mine linked to my RunKeeper.