how do you get through those awful cravings?

Options
i just ate some chocolate cookies 'cause i was having a crazy craving. i just got home from the gym and had a healthy dinner too. what gives?

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    If you don't buy them, you won't eat them :) That's my philosophy. I just keep all of that stuff out of my house completely. Works well.
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you read any Geneen Roth? She's big on giving in to your cravings. BUT keep in touch with your body. See how much you really need to be satisfied.

Sometimes I'm craving ice cream and one spoonful satisfies it, and I just put it away.

I did a workshop with her and she had us hold a Hershey's kiss in our mouths till it melted away. I'll never eat one again. Finally figured out that I find them waxy and salty and not at all interesting. A small bit of dark chocolate, though--delish and does satisfy a craving.

I recommend her very highly.
  • skaterbee
    Options
    I just drink lots of water and chew gum. It seems to help me.
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    I second not buying stuff like that as the first most basic step. But unfortunately baked goods show up magically a lot (like at work)! My strategy is to just eat a smaller portion (like maybe half) of the decadent item and give the rest to a friend (or leave it for other people - just think about how kind you are being to allow someone else the opportunity to try the lovely dessert :). Another thing I try to do is keep a healthier sweet around (like dried or fresh fruit) to substitute. Sometimes I'm even able to resist, but I only try if it isn't too effortfull :)

All in all, don't feel too guilty having a little. A truly sustainable diet change needs to sometimes include treats, but just less frequently and in smaller quantities. The nice thing is that as you cut back on sugar over time, the less you feel the need for it.

Hope that helps!
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try eating either a dill pickle chip or a small dill pickle. It seems to help the cravings and the calories are low. It always helps me. And if I really must give into an urge I usually just eat 1 to 2 cookies slowly and that seems to satisfy my craving.

Best of luck to you in this journey to lose weight.
  • RunLove
    RunLove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If my body is craving something, I feel like there's a reason. So, I always give in to my cravings but in moderation. If I'm craving cookies (which I do regularly), I'll just eat one slowly. Usually I find it only takes a bite or a small serving to satisfy the craving. However, I have noticed the healthier I eat the more I crave healthy foods :)
  • GaryDyer
    GaryDyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went through a 3 week diet detox. By the 3rd day the cravings were gone and now weeks later I dont crave anything. I eat b/c I know I need to. Not because something is calling out to me. I used to not be able to drive past a Taco Bell with out stopping. I would trade a fancy meal for Taco Bell in a heart beat. But now i just dont want it any more. The detox changed my life.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I always drink water before I give into a craving. I'm also a firm believer in moderation and that it's ok to give into cravings as long as it is done in moderation. Make sure to log in your calories and that will make you think about what you really want to eat. I do a long run on the weekends and burn extra calories so that is my special treat day.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    If you're having a real, hardcore craving... eat something, but try to make it something both tasty AND good for you. Apples, baby carrots... fruits and vegetables often do it for me. That and drinking water or tea or coffee - if you fill your stomach up volume wise you will probably not feel as hungry. Also, a craving may initially be thirst... so definitely drink something. ALSO what helps is taking a nap. If you sleep, you usually don't feel hungry when you wake up. Make sure you're eating enough, though. Try to eat most or all of your allotted calories per day, or maybe don't try to lose a pound a week. Honestly, the slower and more steady you do this, the better it will work as a lifestyle.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I keep dark chocolate in the house in small amounts. Freeze it and when I just can't do without I break a small piece off and let it melt in my mouth. Other then that I drink water and keep 98% of the junk out of the house. Remember....moderation is the key.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    DON'T KEEP THEM IN THE HOUSE. And contrary to most popular beliefs, kids don't need them, husbands don't need them... you get the picture!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy them, you won't eat them :) That's my philosophy. I just keep all of that stuff out of my house completely. Works well.

Haahaa - check out my signature!
    Also I try to pop some gum and wait at least 20 minutes before I give into a craving. They usually pass by then and I forget about it.
    If I'm at home I'll brush my teeth.
    If neither of those work, then I have 1/4 or 1/2 of what ever it is that I'm craving - or a healthy version of it.
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    If my body is craving something, I feel like there's a reason. So, I always give in to my cravings but in moderation. If I'm craving cookies (which I do regularly), I'll just eat one slowly. Usually I find it only takes a bite or a small serving to satisfy the craving. However, I have noticed the healthier I eat the more I crave healthy foods :)

I do the same thing! I am a naturally rebellious person, so the minute something is 100% off limits I HAVE to have it. If I get a craving, I eat whatever it is in a small portion size. actually if I am craving any kind of sugary snack I try to just have a marshmallow, because its lower cal but sugary enough to fill the whole craving..
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I try to wait it out but if i'm pms i will get myself a cookie or a little ice-cream (just don't keep it in the house) BUT i do notice that once i have something sugary the cravings get worse for the next few days.
    Strawberries and a little whipped cream seem to save me these days :-)
    good luck.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    About once a week I give in to cravings. But it's only once a week where it used to be every day. The rest of the time, I find substitutions that're similar but not as bad for me. A 90 calorie bag of Chocolate-drizzled Quaker Mini Delights usually takes care of the cookie craving for me--especially if I have'm with a glass of milk as if I really were having a cookie.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    My biggest down fall is the Carmel Frappe at McDonald's. I let myself have it once or twice a week. If you deny yourself things you will eventually fail. You have have whatever just in moderation. Don't eat the whole package of cookies if thats what you want...eat however many the serving size is.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a peanutbutter cookie at Subway. Then broke off half and gave it to my daughter and threatened her life if she gave it to me.