Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Don't know where to start!!

VictoriaParr82
VictoriaParr82 Posts: 23
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi everyone, I'm Vicky. I am 31 & a stay at home mum at the moment to two girls (3yrs & 1yr). I have had a lot of surgery before, during and after my pregnancies for endometriosis & I have used my pregnancies & surgeries as excuses to not start or stick with any diet & exercise plan. As a result I look and feel terrible! So I've made the decision to do something about it! I want to be a mum my girls can be proud of and look up to & also to be a positive, healthy role model to them.....but, I have no idea where to start! I've never counted calories etc and I'm a bit lost with it all! Can anybody help??!

I'm 5ft 2, weigh 175 (goal 120). I want to lose slowly (2lb a week would be great). I am going to be doing Tracy Anderson post preg DVD 5x a week, at least a 3 mile walk everyday (intervals of fast pace & really slow - no where near being able to jog yet!!)

Does anybody have any advice on how many cals I should be eating or any other wisdom? I want to do this sensibly! Anything would be great! Feeling lost! Xx

Replies

• weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    I want to say don't start out too vigorous if you normally are very sedentary...I still don't work out but about three to four times a week for about a half hour to hour and I've been doing this for about 8 months. If I set myself up to do too much I will give up. I like a sedentary lifestyle....LOL I have noticed that I am less lazy and get out to do a lot more things that I don't count as exercise...just enjoyment.
  • That's really good advice, thank you. I want to enjoy this whole process. I'm doing it for me so I don't want it to be a chore xx
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Congrats on having such a beautiful baby :smile:

Maybe just try walking lots and putting baby in the stroller ? Get a pedometer from Ebay or Amazon and join one of the 10,000 steps a day challenges on here?
  • Thank you! I already walk a lot with the babies so I'll will get a pedometer and see how far off the 10,000 steps I am! Xx
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Alright congrats on joining! you can do this it may not be easy or show super quick results real fast but thats not why your here your here to get healhty and do your very best ! SO it all depends on your height, weight and how sedentary you already are. I started at 1700 cals didnt see very good results so went to 1580 still not so great results so lowered it to 1380 and bingo lost a pound yes only a pound but my pound that I was very proud of! :) I am 5'3 didnt exercise much went from 221 and now im 214 I could barely walk at a 1.0 incline at 2.0mph for 20 min and now I go to the gym walking 2.0 incline @ 3.2mph for 40minutes as my cardio planning on doing some cardio dvds as well. I went from drinking no water to 6 glasses a day and went from no veggies or fruits to 5 a day processed foods to mainly whole foods in order to keep the cals low but still being able to feel full. start around 1500 see wha tit does if you loose more than 2pounds a week adjust up a little if none then lower by 200 until you see some success hope this helps im no expert but this is my story and what worked for me :)
  • mhoeff1
    by the way I dont eat my calories back in exercise
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    When you set up your MFP it will give you your calories. Also, I would not suggest going from no exercise to that much right away. Sounds like too much too fast.
  • mhoeff1
    agrea ^ starting out to fast will give you sore muscles and where yo uout to quickly slow but steady and build yourself up to it
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Since you're new here...

I post these tips all over the place. They may help.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.
  • Since you're new here...

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

Thank god! Finally someone sensible :)
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    The beginning of any journey is the first step!
    Stay sensible and make sure you eat enough! Not eating enough can be as bad as eating too much!
    Set short term achievable goals, wih a treat each time you meet a target!
    Small victories are still sweet!
    We're all different and you will find what works for you
    There are lots of sites that give diet advice MFP is really good and I'm no expert, but with two young children to chase after if your exercising too, you could start with between 1250 and 1500 calories per day and see how you get on ! Hope this is helpful !
    Good wishes! Happy losing!
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Bumping to reply after my nap.
  • Thank you mhoeff1 & wilsoje74 I already do the walking, but the DVD would be new. Maybe I will start with 3 times a week to begin with and build from there. ( I want to do this DVD as she talks about bringing skin back to muscle after pregnancy...would love that to work! )

Trogalicious - wow thank you for all of that info. It all makes a lot of sense to me. I want to do this properly and by that I mean not starving myself, but by making myself healthy. I hate fad diets and I love the idea of not cutting something that I wouldn't live without. I have relied on a lot of convenience foods and quick eats (pasta, cheese etc - I'm vegetarian) I definitely want to learn more during this process so I'm never in this position again. 55lb to lose and no silly time frame to do it in. I will experiment and see what works. Thank you. Xx
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Since you're new here...

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

This
  • Thank you Gillibeech - I will definitely make sure I'm eating enough - wouldn't be able to cope with running after my two little monsters whilst starving!!

JamieH1984 - have a good nap! Xx
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    if you only have 55lb to lose you should aim for 1 to 1.5 lb a week. there a chart floating on this site that gives the recommend lose per week based on how much you want to lose. If you try to lose to fast it can come back to bite you. Slow and steady wins the race and gets you a better bod that's easier to keep. Track and weigh everything ive learned that just because the bag says 14 chips in a serving if you weight it out you might get 10 to 16 chips which can add up to lots of extra caloires over time. Add friends on here to support and motivate you. feel free to add me.
  • Thank you lovebig30 - I bought some scales and I will definitely be using them...portion control is definitely an issue for me! Xx
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    The problem with on line calorie calculators is we are all different and the number of calories we burn vary greatly. Even people with very different lifestyles may be able to eat different amounts

I would start by recording what you are eating now for a week, so that you know how many calories you are eating with your current diet. Then cut the calories you eat each day by 200, and eat this for a week. Then the next week do the same, and you keep doing this until you start losing weight, keep the calories the same until you stop loosing weight and then cut your calories again by 200.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    The problem with on line calorie calculators is we are all different and the number of calories we burn vary greatly. Even people with very different lifestyles may be able to eat different amounts

I would start by recording what you are eating now for a week, so that you know how many calories you are eating with your current diet. Then cut the calories you eat each day by 200, and eat this for a week. Then the next week do the same, and you keep doing this until you start losing weight, keep the calories the same until you stop loosing weight and then cut your calories again by 200.
    While there's nothing inherently wrong with that approach, it takes the body 4-6 weeks to adjust to a change in calorie goal. Changing that often (1 week, do this... if no change, eat less the next) isn't really a feasible method.

Yes, calculators online are all going to be estimates. The problem with the MFP calculator is that it often lets folks put in goals that may be too aggressive... hence referencing a better tool.
  • Thanks KingRat79 - that's a good idea to actually log what I am eating now - I might be able to pin point some of my problem areas/patterns as well as see how much I am eating. Thanks I will do that - I am learning as much as I can before throwing myself into it. Just making healthier choices where possible at the min. Want to know exactly what my plan is!! xx
This discussion has been closed.