Is all Sugar created equal???

Options
I realize that controlling sugar is huge. I find it very difficult to keep my sugar intake low if I eat fresh fruit. Question...is natural sugar, as in fruits and vegetables "counted" the same as processed sugars in all of your opinions. I realize the food counter considers it the same but would be curious how others approach. Thanks

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, the fiber in fruit and vegetables help keep the natural sugars from spiking your blood sugar levels.
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    THAT is a great question. I've been struggling with that.

If it is fresh fruit, or juice, can we go ahead and go over in our sugar grams total?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    THAT is a great question. I've been struggling with that.

If it is fresh fruit, or juice, can we go ahead and go over in our sugar grams total?

I would argue against the juice as there is not fiber so you blood sugar would still spike as it would with added sugar.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What About Lactose...Does the Body treat Lactose also as a Sugar
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Look up the Glycemic Index - foods that are low in the glycemic index do not spike blood sugar because it takes your body longer to process them. There are low GI fruits.

Low GI Fruits: (the number is their GI number)

Cherries 22
    Plums 24
    Grapefruit 25
    Peaches 28
    Peach, canned in natural juice 30
    Apples 34
    Pears 41
    Dried Apricots 32
    Grapes 43
    Coconut 45
    Coconut Milk 41
    Kiwi Fruit 47
    Oranges 40
    Strawberries 40
    Prunes 29

Low GI Dairy:

Whole milk 31
    Skimmed milk 32
    Chocolate milk 42
    Sweetened yoghurt 33
    Artificially Sweetened Yoghurt 23
    Custard 35

Like someone else said, fruit is jam packed with fiber and lots of good minerals/vitamins/nutrients - it would be a shame to cut these out. Just make sure you eat fruit and milk (which also has natural sugar) in moderation. I try for 2-3 servings of fruit a day.
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, but how it's packaged is important.

Stay away from juice! It's pure liquid sugar without any of the benefits!

Also, processed simple carbs like white pasta and white rice are also bad pure sugar. Whole wheat grains package the sugar in fiber like fruit, so they are a healthier alternative.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All sugar is not the same.

The sugar in fruit - fructose (not high fructose corn syrup) regular fructose from fruits and vegetables is sent to the liver to be converted into glucose. This slows the sugar absorption rate and gives the body time to adjust. This puts a lot less stress on the pancreas. In the liver the glucose is either used to give the body a sugar boost or more likely it is used to make glycogen, the bodies short term energy chemical.

Sucrose, table sugar, Is broken down in the stomach into half glucose and half fructose. The half that is made into glucose in the stomach spikes the bodies insulin levels on the spot. Because the pancreas needs to produce insulin to deal with that glucose right now. And because the body feels flooded with glucose, and it knows more is coming from the liver soon, it tents to convert this type of glucose directly into long term energy ie fat.

It's also good to know that the body treats most juice the same way it would treat a glass of sugar water.

Hope this information is helpful. And good luck on your journey.
  • rj0802
    rj0802 Posts: 12
    Options
    Very helpful and is appreciated in addition to the other posts. The support I receive from folks using this site is amazing. It is a difference maker.