Over calorie limit. What do I eat?

Options
mtzrose2001
mtzrose2001 Posts: 62 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
What do I eat? I am over my calorie iimit by 1058. That's based on a 1840 callorie goal. I think I need help cause I keep binging on sugar and carbs. The worst cravings are at late evening which I realize is the worst time to eat. keep getting on track then off track. I can't seem to stay consistent with my eating habits. Any advice? Please look at my food diary and make some suggestions. I really need to know what to eat and at what times. And also what I can do toinimize the sweet cravings.
Thank you
Amanda

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. Meal timing doesn't matter. Stop worrying about the "late evening" food.
    2. If you're binging on sugar and carbs, is it because you're restricting them too much?

As far as what you need to eat? Enough protein and fat to feel full. If you're not able to stay consistent, why are you trying to do something that's too un-stick-able in the first place? There's no magic food that makes you not want sweets.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Need to open your diary for one thing.....

Are you keeping some balance to what you eat?
    Not totally cutting out carbs? or fat? or protein?
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I cannot see your diary as it is only visible to your friends. As for your calories, your daily allowance seems quite high (I am 101kg and my allowance is set to 1300). I don't find this that hard to stick to with 2 full meals, a breakfast drink, snack and dessert daily. It is just about the choices you make. If you have a sugar craving, have a bowl of fruit with low fat yoghurt. If you are craving potato chips, try some dried veggie chips instead (just make sure they are dehydrated, not fried). You can even add some seasoning to them to make them more like chips flavours. Drink plenty of water. It will help flush out your system.

I too have sweet cravings at night. When this happens I drink some water and shew on some sugar free gum. If I am still craving after this, I either eat some fresh or naturally dried fruit. When you are having cravings, see if you can figure out what triggers them. Is it habit or a way to relieve the boredom? If you know your triggers, you will be able to better manage cravings. Distracting yourself is another option

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like, I love to swap motivation and encouragement.
  • Karrieif
    Karrieif Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel I would say the same things about myself.

I can also get sweet cravings, I am fine during the day, but after my evening meal, for about 20 minutes I can crave something sweet.

I do not keep sweet things in the house as a rule. If I have had a lot of desserts or chocolate, I need to go 'cold turkey' on them. This is impossible to do if you have a 'goody drawer' or a regular supply of biscuits in the house.

For me I always feel better if I stop eating earlier rather than later in the evening.
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The people above me have already given some pretty great advice! So all I have to say is a few points I think, Yes drinks looots of water! Helps a lot with cravings. Personally I'm the type who can't "go cold turkey" on sweets and I need my chocolate, so go buy some 90-100 calorie snacks that are prepackaged is my advice. I really like Fiber One Chocolate & Peanut Butter Brownies. I know it's not "healthy" but it's healthier then what I would usually eat! Five grams of fiber for a brownie so that's pretty awesome too. Eat slowly, savor it, and ask yourself if you're really hungry before grabbing more.
  • annakdavis
    annakdavis Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What I have found helpful is to have friends with open diaries. I have seen what works for other people, and have experiemented for myself. I have learned a lot by looking at what other people do.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sweets are also hard for me to give up. But I now only eat one square of dark chocolate a day and I have half a kind bar (it's sweet and has protein). The rest of the day I work on eating protein, fruits and veggies. Because I work on getting the protein into my snacks and meals, I find that I don't need to eat as much food. It sounds like you may be eating too many high calorie, low nutrition foods.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your food for the day first thing in the morning - that way you can see if you're going to be over, and rearrange your plans.

I aim for three proper meals and two or three snacks - they need to be relatively healthy, but they are generally things like cereal bars, grapes, nuts/dried fruit (weigh it out into a small container). I also have a WW chocolate-covered biscuit with my last cup of tea, or else one square of Lindt dark chocolate - that is my "good girl" treat.

I make it a rule to only eat what I've taken into work, and then only eat all of it if I really want it - not because its there. So I do have a WW biscuit for "emergencies" which I've resisited since April!

Finally, if you "need" more calories then try upping your exercise - a Zumba class gives you 600 calories an hour, Aerobics about 400 (depending on intensity). I try to use my allocated calories for "good" stuff - meat, veg, fruit - and exercise calories for the less vital stuff (like wine). That way if I am naughty I've earned it by honest sweat!
  • Janeadd
    Janeadd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had evening cravings too - don't know if what I am doing will work for you but I found something that works for me. I now do a combination of one of the intermittent fasting methods which to cut things short involves cutting out breakfast (which I know some would not recommend) - I find it works fine for me as long as I eat healthy the rest of the time and I actually feel less hungry at lunch than I would if I had eaten breakfast. I then have a low carb but filling lunch - eg tuna salad with nice dressing or mayonnaise/coleslaw etc which I feel I can have as I have had no breakfast and which makes it so much more tasty. Because it is low carb I get no cravings in the afternoon. I then have whatever I like for dinner but usually it is a good filling meal. I don't eat any low fat. For some reason reason i don't get the cravings anymore. I think it is because I am eating plenty of food and I don't mind feeling a bit peckish in the morning. - I have lost a lot of weight doing this and by using my fitbit to encourage me to move more. Good luck.
  • dcsaky
    dcsaky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One thing that I really like to eat when I want something sweet is frozen fruit. Some people like bananas or grapes but my thing is frozen sliced peaches. 1 cup of the 365 Whole Foods brand is 70 calories, but I only have a few slices.

Another snack which I love is air-popped popcorn.1 cup is 31 calories. Do you have an air popper? I get the corn kernals in bulk (again at WF) and then put them in my air popper. If i need a little flavoring, I might use a small drizzle of flavored olive oil and a pinch of sea salt or some other seasoning, like Chinese Five Spice or Cayenne.

I agree with the above post which says that if you're unable to stick with the calorie limit you set for yourself, perhaps you should up it a bit. If you consistently cannot meet it, it's going to make you feel bad about yourself, which I think will hurt your overall chances of being successful in your goal.

Could you perhaps incorporate more exercise instead? More walking? Parking farther away from the store, opting to take the stairs instead of the escalator, etc? Investing in either a heart rate monitor or pedometer has been SUPER helpful for me in terms of getting a realistic idea of how many calories I was burning in comparison to how many I was taking in.

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's all in the planning. Think of it like paying your bills and balancing your checkbook. You know you need to have x amount of money for your heat, x amount for your insurance, x amount for mortgage or rent. Same goes with food. You need to plan it out and budget your calories so you have x amount for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

If you're hungriest in the evening, have a bigger dinner later. Meal timing doesn't matter, so you might as well eat the most when you're going to want to eat the most anyway. I'm happiest with a big dinner (1000+ calories), and I'm perfectly comfortable having a 200 calorie protein bar for breakfast.

As far as sweets, that's more planning. I aim to have something yummy every day, so I plan a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime, or instead of a candy bar, I have protein bars. Same amount of calories, but with more protein they keep me full longer.

Personally, I don't have any medical conditions that are affected by sugar, so I ignore that. But I don't think of it so much as limiting my carbs, as making sure I get enough fats and protein. Again, back to the planning.
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave sweets right after dinner. I think it's due to years of regular dessert...Not such a good habit. Now I drink a cup of mint tea sweetened with stevia after dinner if I really want sweets. It's similar to brushing your teeth right after a meal so that you have a mint flavor in your mouth which diminishes that sweet craving. The hot liquid also fills you up a bit and feels more comforting than just brushing your teeth.
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You don't worry about it, you check your diary to see what you had and perhaps just cut down your portion size or cut out that glass of wine or that cake! We all have an occasional blip but its ok! Don't beat yourself up about it! Life is for living!
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    What helped for me: plan, plan, plan. Plan your meals every morning and try to fill it up with foods that will keep you full. This means: protein, good carbs, healthy fats! I always start by planning my dinners (usually 100g of turkey breast and some veggies) and my breakfasts (always a protein smoothie with banana and berries - keeps me full for hours!) and then I plan the rest - lunch and whatever calories I have left I fill up with snacks. I really stick to that and over time I notice that my body gets used to the routine and I don't get hungry in between meals anymore.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you have really bad sugar cravings have some pepsi max or something sim but sugar free. Think it's like 3 cals per 330ml of pepsi max and it's sweet enough to bust that craving.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try making pots of low fat jelly with chopped fruit in them to fill you up and satisfy your sweet cravings.

Also the snack bags of sliced apple or carrots help me - something to munch on and low fat/calorie.

Drink plenty of water too.

Log everything that you eat and try and do a bit more exercise to work off the extra calories, I enjoy going for a walk and the more you up the pace the more calories MFP gives you :)

Good luck x
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Two simple things -

Allow for the snacks

Eat some filling foods during the day
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    HMMM
    you may need to rethink your goals. This is NOT a diet, this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. People fail at diets all the time and end up gaining more weight back. Make this your life goal and something you DO for life. If you look around, there are lots of things to use to break your cravings. Healthy choice makes a frozen yogurt that is 100 cals. Dannon makes an 80 cal greek yogurt and something I love for a night snack is Fiber One makes an 80 cals, chocolate cereal that I keep bagged and ready for a grab snack and they also make 90 cal bars that I use for breakfast when I don't eat my yogurt. Now if it is bread, at Walmart in the deli there is JOSEPHS FLAX AND OATBRAN Lavash bread. ( they are wraps). They make tortilla size and big sheets that are 50 cals a serving. I use those for everything and I even cut into bite size pieces spray with some EVOO and seasoning a little and toast them on both sides. These are great for chips or a low cal snack at the theater. Just look at your diary and see where your holes are and then decide when your worse snacking time is. But most of all--change your way of thinking--this is your Lifestyle change.
  • rkteal
    rkteal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Before you eat the sweets, eat a cup of applesauce or yogurt.
    This fills you up a little and you will not eat as much sweets.
    I do the same thing, junk food junkie.
    Good Luck :smile:
This discussion has been closed.