Help! I need advice on my weight loss journey

Options
Hi,
My name is mateo, and i have a serious problem. I am a binge eater who copes with life issues with food. I have always done it and want to stop. I can't stop thinking about my blood pressure....and how I have no insurance at the moment because my work doesn't give it for part time. Essentially I worry about my blood pressure and me just shedding these years off my life. This all started back in 2008 when I was issued my final orders from the Army and I got to come home to my wife and start a family. I was the best time of my life, i came home at 190 lbs solid and after a year was a 40 lb gain...I knew it was a gain and i thought it was not a big deal....then the next 6 months another 40 lbs came on and the birth of our child gave me extra pressure to get a handle on my career. The problem is i have PTSD and I stress so hard that it's hard for me to keep the few jobs that employers even gave me a chance at. I thought about going back in but by that time I was already 100 lbs over and feel so ashamed. now 5 years later im 152 lbs heavier than I was in 2008 and I'm desperate for change. I'm tired of masking my problems and anxiety with food. I want another chance at a normal life. im 5'11 342 lbs tonight and just recently i'm having pains places that i shouldn't. I would love some advice or tips on how to go about this, I would love to make friends or join a group where we can lose weight together.
I know losing weight is creating a deficit and what not and controlling more calories out then in but does anyone know if
intermittent fasting or alternative day eating as an effective method? I think i'm going to give that a try.

Thanks and sry for the long story
-mateo

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

You're in the right place dude. Lots of support on here and just take a look at the success stories thread if you need inspiration.

Good luck. You can do this. :smile:
  • 1life2gain
    Options
    thank you Hildy ;) thx for the request as well
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Mah pleasure sweetie x
  • Ladygirl14
    Ladygirl14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are definitely in the right place and it is a place that will offer the encouragement that all of us need in our journey. I don't know if this will work for you, but my son has PTSD and he says running helps him at times dealing with it as well as writing. Good luck on your venture.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can friend me if you want, I try to stay pretty active in MFP :)
  • 1life2gain
    Options
    thx guys, great advice ladygirl
  • Ib1mya
    Ib1mya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The V.A offers lots of help with PTSD, I would check into it and see what they have to offer. Being prior service you are entitled to it. The fact that you want to make a life change says that you have it in you to do it. Good luck and keep moving forward.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    First, thank you for your service. Second, what programs are available in your area for veterans? Third, MFP is a great tool and works if you apply it. A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight and if you set reasonable goals, you can lose the weight. (and keep it off) You have reached out, which is an awesome step. Wish you the best.

Read this and all of the links in it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1) Create that calorie deficit by making small changes to your lifestyle that you can sustain for the rest of your life (i.e. limit sodas, limit candies/baked goods). Don't get rid of all the stuff you love, just cut down your consumption. Use a smaller plate at dinner to fool your brain into seeing a full plate of food, when it's really 1/2 or 3/4 portion.
    2) Exercise. Your body, mind and spirit will thank you.
    3) Seek professional assistance. The VA should have support programs available to you. You can't and shouldn't do this alone. You aren't the only one in the world dealing with PTSD so get involved in a support group.
    4) Don't rush. This is a journey - a marathon if you will - not a sprint.
    5) Breath. Find a gentle yoga, xi gong, tai chi, and/or meditation class (often found at your local rec center for low $). This will help you get back in tune with your mind, body and spirit to balance things out.

Thank you for your service and good luck!
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry about the PTSD. My brother has it. But he tackles that with alcohol instead of food.
    I am/was the emotional eater of the family but I'm fairly better with it now.
  • jrosedavis
    jrosedavis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First, thank you for your service.

^I second this.

I would also add that you need to take this one day at a time. There will be days that you overeat. There will be days when you don't want to get up and move. There will be days when you feel overwhelmed. There are days when you will want to quit. But each day is a fresh start, a new beginning to your journey. Find some way to encourage yourself every morning. This is going to sound really corny, but every morning when I wake up I plant my feet firmly on the ground beside my bed, take a deep breath, rub my hands over my face ten times and then say aloud, "Today is going to be a good day."

If you feel like writing, start a blog on here (you can even keep it private so only you can see it). It's an amazing way to track not just your physical progress, but your emotional progress as well.

Lean on your MFP friends for support. Most importantly, don't give up! You are not alone, and you can totally do this. You just need time, patience and support.
  • 1life2gain
    Options
    wow thanks guys, this is great, thx so much
  • cklroberson
    cklroberson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Mateo. Reaching out is a great step in the right direction and as others have said - this is a safe place. As far as fasting etc, I'll tell you, I have pretty much tried it all. It was never effective for me. If I could make it through the fasting, as soon as it was over, I found myself bingeing and undoing any loss I had. I understand the desperation to want it quickly, but I'm accepting for myself as well, that slow and steady wins the race. I am also an emotional eater and i wish I had some advice for you on that. It is a struggle for me every day. One thing that has really helped is to make a daily meal plan, outlining everything I will eat that day. If it is not on the list, I don't it. I also made some visualizations of how my weight is negatively impacting my life. I can refer to that when I'm really struggling with a craving. And I love quotes. I repeat meaningful ones to myself when I am feeling down/tempted etc. My current favorite is " Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most"

I wish you the best of luck on this journey.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have one word for you. Walking!!! If you can go out walking, work up to an hour if you can. At one time I was 315 lbs, If you can't walk outside, because of weather or whatever else, Leslie Samsone has great tapes for walking and the 1 mile one is great for beginners. There is a copy of her 1 mile walk on YouTube, if you have a PS3 and a YouTube Account you can access it on your TV. About the eating, eat as regular as you can, sounds like you need some therapy, go to the VA for help. The Leslie Samsone DVD is available for under $15. So I know you can find it somewhere. Walking will take off the pounds as quickly as possible, you also need to watch what you eat. Walking is always doctor recommended.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Joining the chorus of people thanking you for your service, Mateo.

I personally tend to stress out a lot too--but having focused on my health has given me back a lot. Of all the things in my life, it is one of the things over which I have near-complete control (and for that I'm extremely grateful), and so every daily responsibility I have to myself is a joy. Every task completed (early morning workout, wise choices for lunch, completing a lifting session) is a reason to celebrate.

Many people on the boards have had success with intermittent fasting, but I personally prefer a consistent "fuel feed" myself. I love to eat and frankly I eat all the time. However, it is applying the knowledge of what goes into my mouth that to me has been the most beneficial to getting in a better physical AND emotional and mental state than I was earlier this year.