is there a way to search "real" foods

Options
I'm getting increasingly frustrated that when i search for real, whole foods - like sweet potatoes or strawberries or bananas - that the return list is full of over-processed food like products like banana flavored custard."

Is there any way to change your settings or search differently?

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you put USDA after the fruit name, it usually comes up with the 'real' food. And apparently they are usually more accurate also.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you put USDA after the fruit name, it usually comes up with the 'real' food. And apparently they are usually more accurate also.

awesome! thanks :) great tip!

and as far as the other stuff. i know its a free site but i'm not just trying to be low cal i'm trying (trying being the key word) to move away from over-processed food. so it might seem stupid but even seeing all those things listed out like "sweet potato fries" makes me crave things i'm trying to ignore and substitute with the whole food instead
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i add qualifiers when that happens. "usda" "raw" "fresh" "homemade"
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    usually I put "raw" and that seems to work
  • evilangelwings
    evilangelwings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find that a little frustrating too. I find it helps to search "generic x y z" to cut through the crap.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    If I type in "flour" all I get are flour tortillas. I have to search "all purpose flour." For banana I search "large banana" or whatever. Including the size usually helps.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    thanks guys! i've done the "generic" or "raw" searches but tried out the "usda" this morning and that really seems to work
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've found using the plural of the word helps - like bananas, potatoes, strawberries, etc. Then I look for the entry that doesn't have an asterisk next to it, meaning isn't not user-added. These MFP entries give you the option of what measurement you're using, everything from "1 medium onion" to grams, making it easy to add accurately. These entries have all the complete info, too - potassium and all. :bigsmile:
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like the hint to add USDA. Thanks!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Would be nice if there were a check box for ingredients, or to filter out user inputs. Have to assume they're working on improving the DB and search functionality.
  • bostonj1
    Options
    You have to put - fresh sweet potato - or raw sweet potato. Or Chiquita banana or something like that. Or home made applesauce or some such . then you bypass the manufactured products
  • Abbaprincess
    Abbaprincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I type in raw either before or after.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    Its 2013.

At this point coming up with search keywords to find what you are looking for online should be a skill that everybody has mastered. Its not the 90's anymore.

I wouldn't have thought of the "usda" search but thanks to a helpful, kind person on here suggesting it my life will get a lot easier. And it seems it'll help others too.

Please keep your pointlessly mean comments to yourself.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I was all ready to point out that I haven't seen any plastic-fruit or similar in the databases, so I suspect that there isn't any non-real food in there.

But, I do agree with the sentiment - I'd like more advanced search options to easily specify searching for just the complete string, for instanec.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    i add qualifiers when that happens. "usda" "raw" "fresh" "homemade"
    This works for me, too. Though sometimes I still get weird entries...
  • dbrakora
    dbrakora Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have moved to tracking on my phone over the computer because I think it has a better list/organization of frequently used items. I find it much more straight forward on the mobile apps.
  • JSaltsea
    JSaltsea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think personally entries are a horrible idea unless you keep them for yourself. I'd like to know who made a public entry for boogers and vomit -_-
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    so it might seem stupid but even seeing all those things listed out like "sweet potato fries" makes me crave things i'm trying to ignore and substitute with the whole food instead

oooook. Good Luck sustaining with that. :noway:
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    If you're using the website and not the phone app then anything WITHOUT an " * " next to it is MFP USDA information. So if you type in "bananas" you'll see one that does not have an asterick next to it. That one is NOT a MFP user input item, that is the one that MFP put in the database from the USDA website. Sometimes you have to search for those but they're in there.

Make sense?
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Everyone has good suggestions-- I would say adding the amount works too, sometimes (like "one banana" "one whole pepper" etc.)