Hard to calculate oven dish

Options
I basically stopped using MFP, because when I make an oven dish with different ingredients, I find it so hard to calculate what I put in it. Pasta, veggies, meat.

Anyone any ideas how to make that easier?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You could use the recipe builder. That's what I do for unique dishes that have a lot of different ingredients.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I try and use the recipe builder as much as I can, especially on my phone that way I can scan bar codes - so much easier. My problem is serving size or portions per recipe, I end up changing it later that night on my computer. Whats hard is when I am making something that I don't measure the ingredients, like my spaghetti sauce - so many fresh veggies I go over board sometimes
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Okay, i have never heard of the recipe builder, will try to find it. Thanks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Okay, i have never heard of the recipe builder, will try to find it. Thanks.

On the computer - under the food tab - click recipes - then click build a new recipe.

On the app - Under "more" (at least that's where it is on my ipad) - click edit foods and exercises - Click My Recipes - click the little plus sign and it will take you to Create Recipe

I LOVE the recipe builder. I use it for more than just traditional recipes too. Like foods you always eat together, my daily vitamins, etc.
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder quite a bit. It's not perfect because I don't always get the # of servings right, but I figure its pretty close...which has to count for something :-)
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did find something similar under Spark People, that has more Dutch items, so easier for me to use. Had never done it before, and I Always get confused with serving size and amount of something. But I did work it out. Thanks for helping out.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder quite a bit. It's not perfect because I don't always get the # of servings right, but I figure its pretty close...which has to count for something :-)

i read a trick somewhere that I use and it has heled me IMMENSELY.

i do the recipe builder normally, weighing some ingredients like meat, reading labels for other like cans of beans and for vegetables i don't even usually write down.

but then i put a bowl on my scale and tare it, and fill it with the meal. (if its a casserole know the weight of the dish before there is food in it and subtract that).

i weigh it in grams, and for every 100 i make a serving. so if the dish weighs 1840g i will write down there is 18.4 servings.
    then you weigh your plate and i almost always do at least 2 servings (so 200 g) but if you did 230 g you would just write 2.3 servings.

Makes things soooooo much easier. Ever since I read this it has made it better.
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same thing as above. I weigh my bowl empty, weigh all the ingredients I add in. Then, after cooking (since cooked weight is different), I weigh the total result (before anyone digs in - this is the hard part!!!), subtract the weight of the empty dish/bowl, and set it in the recipe as 10 servings so 1 portion is 1/10 of the total weight (if the total weight is 3000 g, one portion is 300 grams). Then I just scale a portion if I want more (like having 2.5 servings). I find this to be the most efficient approach!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I enter the items ingredient by ingredient. Sometimes I just don't have time to enter the whole recipe.

Karen