Food Shopping Suggestions

Options
Going food shopping after work, any staple suggestions for me??

I'm thinking of getting stuff to attempt my own chicken stir fry type dish, although possibly with brown rice instead of noodles. Maybe some omelette ingredients and stuffed chicken?

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i just recently learned about powdered peanut butter. It tastes just like normal peanut butter but instead of being almost 200 cal. in 2 tablespoons, it's only 45 cal. I like to keep a jar of it in the house to eat with apples or celery. I'm a snacky person so I have to make sure to have healthy low cal snacks in the house. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For stirfry, a really easy veggie choice is to get a bag of broccoli slaw from the produce section. Add in some mushrooms and a red bell peppers for flavor/texture, a little soy sauce and sriracha (hot sauce) and some pork, chicken, beef or sausage and maybe even a little cooked rice and you've got a hearty meal for not that many calories.

For breakfast, I make batches of oatmeal and egg casserole on the weekends. I'm not a morning person at all so this makes my life so much easier and keeps me from being tempted with not so great choices (like bagels/muffins).

Egg casserole: whip up 8-10 eggs, add in 4 oz of crumbled low fat feta, a package of fully cooked bacon (12 slices) chopped up, 2 10oz boxes of chopped spinach (thawed, moisture squeezed out), stir well, pour into a sprayed (Pam) 9x13 pan and cook at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Makes 6 servings, about 240 calories each

Oatmeal: combine 1 cup of steel cut oats, 3 cups water, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (whatever flavor you like), 1/2 cup raisins, a few dashes of cinnamon and a few dashes of nutmeg. Cook in CrockPot on low for 5 hours, shut off heat and let sit for additional hour. Pour into square container and cut into servings once fully cooled. Makes 6 servings, about 150 calories each

I also buy a big container of Fage 0% greek yogurt every week and divvy that up into 5 of those 1 cup containers. Each serving is about 3/4 of a cup and I add either a Tbsp of all natural strawberry preserves or some fresh or frozen berries and a Tbsp of chia seeds. Makes a great filling snack!

FYI, you may be able to find brown rice pasta or noodles in the gluten free section of your store. I've never tried them but a friend of mine swears by them. As with most whole grain pastas, you may have to cook a bit longer to get a softer consistency.

Good luck and enjoy your food trials!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits & veggies
    Greek yogurt (I get the plain and mix fruit & honey into it, or use it as sour cream)
    Peanut or almond butter
    Raw almonds
    Chicken, lean beef, pork tenderloin, fish
    Brown rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes
    Eggs
    Oatmeal
    String cheese
    Avocados
    Black beans

Those are some of my staples. :smile:
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of eggs lately! Veggie omelettes, over easy, boiled, breakfast burritos with salsa on them, etc.... So many ways to make them. I even have eggs for dinner! Yum

The chicken stir fry idea sounds delish! My go to chicken is grill and put the chicken over a salad. :-)
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I always have:

Porridge oats - usual I add a vanilla yogurt or greek yogurt and some fruit and maple syrup
    Frozen blueberries, mixed fruits etc - berries are really good for you.
    Greek Yogurt - Total/Fage 0% - high in protein
    Danone Danio Yogurts - high in protein
    Activia Vanilla 0% yogurt
    Maple syrup - a tablespoon goes a long way and it's a natural sugar.
    Skinless boneless chicken breasts
    Cashew nuts - good fats
    Avocados - good fats
    Broccoli
    Kelloggs Breakfast biscuits - high fibre & nice with yogurt for pudding!
    Weightwatchers Wraps - high fibre and lower calorie than the other makes.
    Ainsley Harriotts Couscous - really tasty!
    New potatoes - good source of vitamins and fibre.
    Special K cracker crisps - yummy!
    Coconut oil

Have fun shopping! :smile:

Lots of these are on offer in Tesco at the moment!
  • rachelwilliams93
    rachelwilliams93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit and veg
    chicken breast
    tuna/ any fish
    almonds
    almond milk
    porridge
    jacket potato
    couscous
    rice
    fat free yogurt
    sugar free jelly
  • jenchamb119
    Options
    Egg whites
    canadian bacon
    mushrooms
    onions
    pam spray
    light and fit greek yogurt
    tuna
    bagged salad
    bolthouse dressing
    chicken
    fish
    shrimp
    stir fry sauce
    low sodium teriyaki and soy sauce
    frozen veggies
    canned tomato sauce (I cook frozen veggies in it and a piece of fish)
    almond nut thin crackers
    kavili crackers
    sugar free ice cream
    dixie cups
    popcorn
    whipped peanut butter
    fruits and vegetables
    pickles
    100 cal bags of almonds
    ff soduium free broth
    almond milk
    hummus