Needs Friends for Encouragement and Motivation

Options
I am really in need of friends to help me through this 150 lb. weight loss journey. I joined a while back then dropped off and now I am back and I really want to do it this time. I do good most days, then I will fall off and stop signing into MFP which keeps me from following what I have started. Good advice would be nice, and if there is anyone out there that has 100-200 lbs to lose and can relate or give me advice on how to not get discouraged I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• jennylynn1977
    Options
    Hello, I also have about 150 pounds to lose. It's definitely helpful when you have others to cheer you on, and encourage you when you are having an off day.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am really in need of friends to help me through this 150 lb. weight loss journey. I joined a while back then dropped off and now I am back and I really want to do it this time. I do good most days, then I will fall off and stop signing into MFP which keeps me from following what I have started. Good advice would be nice, and if there is anyone out there that has 100-200 lbs to lose and can relate or give me advice on how to not get discouraged I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Feel free to add me as a friend. While I don't have as much weight to lose as you do, I did have about 65 lbs to lose when I started this journey on June 25th. I have now lost nearly 40 of that 65. I have reduced my weight by over 18 lbs since joining MFP on August 14th. I can definitely suggest that consistency, increased exercise, reduced calorie intake, and complete honesty with yourself is the most important elements of this journey. I recommend that you consistently (every day) log everything you eat - even if it just creamer in your coffee. I also recommend that you increase your exercise. When I started in June, I was just walking about 2 to 2 1/2 miles 2 times a day (morning and night) with my dog. By just doing that and cutting out the foods that I knew were really bad for me, I reduced my weight by nearly 20 lbs by the time I joined MFP in August. Since then, I have varied my exercise, logged my calorie intake, and I continue to lose weight. If your food intake is something you have significant problems with and you don't feel you can be honest with yourself if others see what you are eating, then hide your food journal. It is more important for YOU to see the eating patterns, than it is for others to see the patterns. YOU ARE THE ONE that will benefit or not from what you eat and how much you exercise.

We are here for you as you progress on this path to a healthier and happier you.

Vickie
  • megannnn15
    megannnn15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have 60 lbs to lose, but i can totally relate, i signed up back in January and didn't get serious about it until a month ago. someone i met on here and myself have challenged each other by seeing who can sign in for the most consecutive days in a row. That helps me be accountable on her, daily. Also, i still sign in on my really really bad days, and there have been quite a few. When i sign in on these days, it makes me see where i went wrong (i.e. 'i did great for breakfast, but what the heck happened at dinner', or 'this whole day was just terrible). I also found that i used my food and my weight as an excuse for anything. I also used eating to cope with certain problems. When i look at my food journal at the end of the day i can look at the meals that we not as healthy and go back and think about what i was feeling, and usually its emotional eating. Just some suggestions that helped me :)
  • sbarnesmomo4
    Options
    I love to encourage others, just as I can use encouragement! Hopefully we can encourage each other as we begin this journey into better health.

I have a Bible Study group (First Place 4 Health) which is a great accountability group for spiritual, physical and mental health. It really does help to have others around to motivate you when you are not feeling very motivated yourself.

If you need some encouragement on a day when you are feeling low, just shoot me a message and I'll cheer you up!

:happy:
  • karen8769
    Options
    You can do it I lost 50 lbs already with the support of friends on this site.
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose about 100 it wouldnt hurt me to lose more. Its hard to stay with it, but I have no choice. I just turned 26 my doctor told me I have fat building up on my liver which can cause liver failure among other problems, I also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I have a 3 yr old son and I will be damned if Im gonna let him grow up without me. I am very motivated to lose this weight and would love to have more friends.
  • Jamie_here
    Options
    I started this back in May, and have lost 30 pounds, but I still need to lose over 100. It is a tough road for sure, but if we encourage one another, we can make it happen! I am working hard to find lower calorie versions of the things I love so that I don't feel like I am giving anything up. If you make sure you list all of your foods, and look for different versions, I think it makes it a little easier to find ways to improve. I feel accomplished if I can find something I love and make it better for me. Please add me, I can't get anyone to stick with this in my family, so I feel like I am doing it all on my own! I would love to have a weight loss buddy!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE WORTH IT and can do whatever you set your mind to!! Don't give up and you will achieve your goals!
  • nikmaack
    nikmaack Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started April 17th, and I've lost 60 pounds. 20 more to go, to reach my goal of 200 pounds. And then I'll reevaluate. Yay me!

Here are my suggestions for how to make the site work for you:

1. You can't eat it if you don't write it down. That's the biggest trick, I find. OBSESS over tracking every morsel you eat. Watch what you eat. It also helps to imagine an authority figure looking over your shoulder. I picture a stern female doctor.

"You ate all those cookies? Seriously?"

Because I insist on tracking all my food, I find myself not eating certain things. I think to myself, "Do you really want to write that down?"

2. Don't starve yourself. Instead, find low calorie choices. Cauliflower, carrots, celery, etc. It is possible to be on a calorie reduced diet and eat all day long. Six little meals works better for me than three large ones.

3. Exercise regularly, and track your exercise. I have an elliptical trainer in my basement. It calculates calories for me. Quite honestly, I work out almost every day because I need those 500 extra calories I get to eat. I work to work and back (one hour walking total) and I track that exercise too. Any exercise you do allows you to eat more. I bought a decent pedometer that allows me to track my calories burned walking. I track all of that stuff.

With the amount of exercise I do, there are days when I can eat 2,800 calories and STILL BE UNDER MY GOAL.

4. Trust the website. If it says to eat a number of calories, eat that number. Don't try to "win" by eating a lot less.

5. Ironically, don't always trust the website -- a lot of the food entries created by users are a little off. Check the packaging. And, when in doubt, assume the entry with more calories is probably the right one. The entries without stars were not created by users. I usually defer to those ones when I can. Also, I'm careful to check packaged foods to see if they match the details on the website.

(I'm in Canada, and for some reason a lot of the food here isn't the same as the American listings -- which is while there are some items with "(Canada)" in the description.)

6. Allow yourself a "cheat" now and then. You need to live. You can't be on a diet forever. One or two meals a week, eat something fun or fattening. Risk going over your caloric goals every now and then. Remember, if you've set your goal for 2 pounds a week, going over a bit is not that big a deal, so as long as it doesn't happen every day.

7. Always carry healthy food with you, such as granola or power bars bars. Then you have a healthy choice on you, and you can avoid choosing crap.

I hope this helps!

Nik
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    I joined a few weeks ago and have 115 pounds to lose. Feel free to add me as a friend. Having support is great.
  • MandasCorner
    MandasCorner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have over 200 lbs that I need to/want to lose. I have a hard time staying on track and staying motivated. I do really well for a few weeks and then I stop logging into the site. It's hard to stay on track. I even got one of my best friends and one of my sister-in-laws to join the site and I still have a hard time staying on track. And, exercise... yeah right. I have a bad back and bad knees so I will be on track and walk or do some sort of exercise 3-6 days a week for a few weeks to a month and then my back goes out on me to the point where I can barely walk for a few weeks. I feel like it doesn't matter how hard I try, I'm destined to be morbidly obese my entire life. It sucks! I've recently rediscovered how much I like to dance though so I am gonna try to start dancing around the house a little bit every day at the very least. I'm always willing to accept new friends :)

I'm in Orem, UT... Its starting to get cold and rainy which means the snow isn't too far away... Anyone near me want to come dance or do my walking workout with me... inside?
  • DaltonsMom
    Options
    Hi, I have at least 100 lbs to lose and have fallen off the wagon numerous times. I just found this site this week and am in love with the support I have found, plus all the tracking abilities. I hope it will help me stay on track & keep me honest, this time I want to succeed for myself & my son.

Just take is baby steps & don't get discouraged. As I have heard numerous times "you didn't put it on over night it's not going to come off overnight"

Good luck !
  • megannnn15
    megannnn15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only have 70 pounds to lose, but I am in the same boat you are. I have mostly good days and then I'll have one bad meal and not sign on for three days.

The beauty of this site is that they offer support no matter what you do, and they don't judge. BECAUSE WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE. That's the beauty of it all. We all have felt the same things that you are feeling in varying degrees. We need you just as much as you need us :)

Best Wishes,
    Megan :)
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have just started this journey about a week ago and i am already down 12 lbs.. everyone here is so supportive. I also have about 150 lbs or so to lose i will add u as a friend. =)
  • ww2009
    ww2009 Posts: 4
    Options
    well i have lost 142 lbs and this is been a long journey and i still have 20 lbs to go and i will be here to encourage u every step of the way...you are so motivated and you have such a positive personality...
  • Nakia323
    Nakia323 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am very excited about this website...I really need to lose this weight! Im so sick and tired of hearing things like....you have such a pretty face! ughhh I know they mean well but its actually insulting!! I have battled my weight for the last several years and now I need to lose 75 pounds! I really think i can do it now that I have this great tool. I have been doing it for 3 days and feel very hopeful that this will be the way I accomplish my goal once and for all! :smile: Under 200 lbs here I come!!!!!
  • Rockstar_rabbit
    Options
    Everyone! Please add me! I will help when I can. I have always tried to be healthy, but due to a car wreck and then being depressed about not able to work out I gain 10 lbs. This is what I want to lose. Any high fives I can give you guys I will! :flowerforyou:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started April 17th, and I've lost 60 pounds. 20 more to go, to reach my goal of 200 pounds. And then I'll reevaluate. Yay me!

Here are my suggestions for how to make the site work for you:

1. You can't eat it if you don't write it down. That's the biggest trick, I find. OBSESS over tracking every morsel you eat. Watch what you eat. It also helps to imagine an authority figure looking over your shoulder. I picture a stern female doctor.

"You ate all those cookies? Seriously?"

Because I insist on tracking all my food, I find myself not eating certain things. I think to myself, "Do you really want to write that down?"

2. Don't starve yourself. Instead, find low calorie choices. Cauliflower, carrots, celery, etc. It is possible to be on a calorie reduced diet and eat all day long. Six little meals works better for me than three large ones.

3. Exercise regularly, and track your exercise. I have an elliptical trainer in my basement. It calculates calories for me. Quite honestly, I work out almost every day because I need those 500 extra calories I get to eat. I work to work and back (one hour walking total) and I track that exercise too. Any exercise you do allows you to eat more. I bought a decent pedometer that allows me to track my calories burned walking. I track all of that stuff.

With the amount of exercise I do, there are days when I can eat 2,800 calories and STILL BE UNDER MY GOAL.

4. Trust the website. If it says to eat a number of calories, eat that number. Don't try to "win" by eating a lot less.

5. Ironically, don't always trust the website -- a lot of the food entries created by users are a little off. Check the packaging. And, when in doubt, assume the entry with more calories is probably the right one. The entries without stars were not created by users. I usually defer to those ones when I can. Also, I'm careful to check packaged foods to see if they match the details on the website.

(I'm in Canada, and for some reason a lot of the food here isn't the same as the American listings -- which is while there are some items with "(Canada)" in the description.)

6. Allow yourself a "cheat" now and then. You need to live. You can't be on a diet forever. One or two meals a week, eat something fun or fattening. Risk going over your caloric goals every now and then. Remember, if you've set your goal for 2 pounds a week, going over a bit is not that big a deal, so as long as it doesn't happen every day.

7. Always carry healthy food with you, such as granola or power bars bars. Then you have a healthy choice on you, and you can avoid choosing crap.

I hope this helps!

Nik
    This is what works for me, thanks Nik great advice!
  • Nakia323
    Nakia323 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nik that helped me as well! You look great by the way and congrats on your loss!! :))
  • sallgood2010
    sallgood2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 30 lbs to lose to get back where I felt my best. I had gastric By-pass 3 years ago and recently noticed that my eating is WAY OUTTA WHACK! I refuse to be one of the people who had that surgery for nothing...Definitely will need the help and motivation. I am easily discouraged and though I love to exercise I do not like to do it alone...I would love to get into running but have no clue how to start out. (I can run 3 miles on an elliptical but know that it is different when done on ground). I have a middle and what it gone...

Hope everyone has a WONDERFUL Friday :)